↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Anyone got the MUD Stuff side panels?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Anyone got the MUD Stuff side panels?
Looking to get these when they are back in stock, anyone bought these and vouch for the quality etc?

Also looked at the TGE panels but they seem very simplistic compared, and the La Salle ones are a bit too plastic fantastic looking. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #118334 25th Jan 2012 12:26pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Do you mean these for the 90

or these for the 110

We have the 110 ones in our Puma.

Yes we are happy with them

Whilst I have no experience of the 90 ones, however knowing Kevin and Stuart at Mud, knowing the quality of the gear they sell I would have no hesitation in saying that they will be good.

Why not come up to YOG at the end of March, meet Kevin, have a good poke at the items they sell and decide yourself?

In the next 2-3 months we hope to stock a range of MudUK items, so you could say we are impressed with their gear.

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #118343 25th Jan 2012 1:08pm
pom

I had then in the 90 and they were great. The foam insulation helped a lot.

Pom
Post #118348 25th Jan 2012 1:15pm
Snowbeast17

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I bought the TGE ones and I'm very happy with them. They fit perfect in to the 110 and cut down noise and it's a bit warmer in the back for the dogs Thumbs Up RRS tdv8 08
Disco 3 HSE 57
Defender 90 xs 06

All gone
Post #118420 25th Jan 2012 6:59pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I have the TGE ones in the utility, which fit inside the plastic 'window' moulding, fit well and look neat. They also do a full side panels for the 90 hardtop which is what you may mean. They do look like a simple install (simple often best though)

Mud stuff do two different items (as already shown) the infil panels with nets for the 110 utility and also the full moulded side panel for the 90 hardtop. Both look pretty good bits of kit in the flesh.

Depends on what you are after really.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #118437 25th Jan 2012 7:41pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Got the Mud Stuff 110 side panels shown - easy to fit and so far have withstood a year of reasonable abuse.

I would say to be really careful in mounting the p-clips (not actually p-clips more of a surface mounting version without the back of the p) to the plastic surrounds so as to maximise the net volume on one hand but ensure the metal frames sit neatly on the other (ie not hanging down on the outside of the plastic surrounds - have a good look at the pictures and position the p-clips to spread the load - particular attention to the top ones as these get all the strain when stuffing things into the netting)

Instructions say to remove the plastic trims/surrounds to mount the self adhesive foam - I tried to fit without removing the surounds but they stick like the proverbial to a blanket - as a minimum release the top of the surrounds and let hang away from the truck by 30 degrees and peel the backing off as you go (i did not want to remove my load guard as it was difficult to line up - had to relent in the end and remove the top half only)

Net result (no pun intended Very Happy ) is a professional looking job that looks factory-fit
Post #118458 25th Jan 2012 8:21pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
I bought the Mudstuff side protection pads from them as my 90HT is used as a commercial vehicle and full of tools/cable/stuff.

They're crap.

They adhere, or are supposed to adhere, to the panels with double-sided sticky. Unfortunately the sticky stuck to the panels but the protection pads kept falling off leaving the double sided in situ. I attempted to clean it off the vehicle but no joy so I just used silicone to fix the pads back in place.

And no, they were not fitted in sub-zero temperatures, a heatwave, a rainstorm or high humidity and they were not stretched, shrunk or dragged across the yard.

They were fitted carefully by me. And they fell off Big Cry

Anyway, now I've siliconed them on, they're stuck like a rude dog to a tramp's arse. Very Happy
Post #118478 25th Jan 2012 8:41pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
DJ, are the TGE one flimsy feeling or looking?

When I downloaded their fitting guide the panels look like thin moulded plastic with a flock coating. Would they be sturdy enough to mount some small cargo nets (Not for heavy items etc).

They are attractive in so much as they are less than half the cost of the Mud Stuff panels and as they are a fabric coating, might help even more with sound deadening. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #118628 26th Jan 2012 11:38am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
The ones I have are for fitting to the sides of a 110 utility, within the existing plastic windows surrounds (where the windows go on a SW - why they fit those I don't know)

So unless you have a 110 utility they are not the ones that you want. They are however a well fitting, firm plywood panel with carpet covering, so with that in mind it's likely that the others they do would also be of a decent quality, but best to get that info from someone who has them fitted to a 90. They look like they will do the job nicely in a plainer way than the Mud ones.

The 90 ones appear to be a full width panel, not sure how they fit though or whether they will allow extra fittings - nets. Probably best to phone and ask them.

The mud stuff ones are a completely different item really, moulded plastic, probably much like the LR ones on a county (although I think my 90 county has fibreglass panels) and with the facility to fit nets, lights, speakers etc and include soundproofing behind as well, so its fairly easy to see where the extra value/cost is.

I think if I was fitting out a 'blank 90 hardtop from scratch then I'd get the Mud ones myself - choice of colour as well too.

So its a choice of plain and workmanlike and not expensive or more OEM like finish with lots of extra features and also IMO not expensive either for what you are going to get.

Also don't forget LaSalle do them and I believe theirs go right down to the wheel arches as well (not sure on price on those)

DJ
Just my opinion of course 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #118631 26th Jan 2012 12:03pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I agree with what dj says.

I have the TGE's and they have been fine. They look "factory fit" and reduce resonance in the back as well as protecting the metal panels from being dented from the inside with awkward loads and enthusiastic cornering Smile

As said above, they look like 4mm marine ply with a material finish stuck on. They're push-fit, but once pushed in they have stayed-put in on my Defender.

They look pretty good. If you wanted to spend a day with some 4mm ply, a jigsaw, some cloth-covering and some glue you could probably make them yourself Confused

If you wanted them to be more "structural" (i.e. to hang things off them, or to put netting onto them), you would probably need to add some sticky tape or brackets to make sure they stayed-put (especially if off-roading)... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #118634 26th Jan 2012 12:12pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
La Salle side trims are £230 +VAT + P&P, so about the same as the MUD ones but they look a bit plasticky, not sure I like them.

I guess you pays your money and takes your choice. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #118635 26th Jan 2012 12:15pm
landroverdiver

Scotland 
Hi

I have a Puma 110 County and carry dive kit in the back. This doesn't get left unnattended so security is not so much an issue, more of a concern is something smashing through one of the side windows.

I got some foam mounting board, cut to window shape and stuck on, but its not very successful. It does provide a bit of a buffer, but the sun (yes, really in Scotland!) delaminates it, dries out the adhesive and they fall off.

Can anyone tell me if the TGE components which are obvioulsy designed for a Utility, can be fitted over the windows on my CSW?

Cheers

Mike
Post #118648 26th Jan 2012 1:59pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Might be best to ring them Mike and have a chat 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #118675 26th Jan 2012 5:15pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
landroverdiver wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the TGE components which are obvioulsy designed for a Utility, can be fitted over the windows on my CSW?

Cheers

Mike

Mike

dependant on your timescales, you can try mine...I'll take a panel out and you can see if it fits?

It'll probably be a few weeks tho (for me to be in Edinburgh with the Defender), unless you are in Aviemore.

I think the USW and the CSW have the same plastic moulding, but I'm not sure - also the windows may affect fitment...? Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #118686 26th Jan 2012 5:51pm
landroverdiver

Scotland 
Hi guys thanks for the replies. I will contact TGE.

Thanks Martin, I do get over to Edinburgh a couple of times a month for meetings. If I don't get an answer from TGE I will see if we can co-ordinate diaries for Edinburgh.

Cheers

Mike
Post #118764 26th Jan 2012 9:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>