↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Camping hmm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pom

Camping hmm
I kind of want to like camping and give it a go with the family but am put off a bit:

1 - you really need a lot of kit, you cant just get a tent and try. you need beds, cooking kit, cleaning kit etc. How much you think it would cost for enough 'kit' for a family of 5?

2. - What to do when camping, kids bored in no time etc

Any advice appreciated.

Pom
Post #117821 23rd Jan 2012 6:33pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
No need to speed a lot of money and lots of stuff you will already have you need a Tent no need to pay a lot cutlery you have pots and pans you have a sleeping get some decent ones bags that is and tack some quilts with you and blankets lots of this you already have have a look on the titernt for stuff kids if warm will love it keep them warm as for the boss well that's up to you Whistle have a look a www.winfields or gooutdoors they have good bargains at the moment RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #117824 23rd Jan 2012 6:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
POM camping is great for kids, they love it, especially in a tent, very exciting. They keep themselves entertained playing games in the field/site. And cards/board games etc in the evening or when wet. It really brings the family together. Can't believe people take a TV with them Rolling Eyes

I can give you the name of a company that will hire you all you need to go camping before you commit yourself. A friend of ours runs the company - very good, brand new tents etc each year Thumbs Up
Post #117826 23rd Jan 2012 6:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

that sounds great Zag.

Personally I could slum it, spark up the fire crack open the beers etc but strangely this doesn't appeal to the rest of the clan!

Pom
Post #117829 23rd Jan 2012 6:57pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Here you go, http://www.contentedcamping.co.uk/

Tell them they should try everything once Rolling Eyes , nothing better than sitting outside under the stars getting peacefully p/ssed whilst the BBQ burns out........after the kids are in bed of course Wink
Post #117832 23rd Jan 2012 7:01pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
Zagato wrote:
Here you go, http://www.contentedcamping.co.uk/

Tell them they should try everything once Rolling Eyes , nothing better than sitting outside under the stars getting peacefully p/ssed whilst the BBQ burns out........after the kids are in bed of course Wink

yes you canot Thumbs Up RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #117846 23rd Jan 2012 7:17pm
pom

give me an rough ballpark figure guestimate of cost for a tent to fit 5 which you cans tand up in (for the normal british weather of rain) and have separate room for cooking area / place to store wet shoes etc.

And some sort of heating.

Pom
Post #117873 23rd Jan 2012 8:03pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
pom wrote:
give me an rough ballpark figure guestimate of cost for a tent to fit 5 which you cans tand up in (for the normal british weather of rain) and have separate room for cooking area / place to store wet shoes etc.

Pom

what about a trailer tent? all there in one unit, its camping but with a few mod cons.Cheap enough on ebay?
Post #117874 23rd Jan 2012 8:10pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
T1G UP wrote:
pom wrote:

Pom

what about a trailer tent? all there in one unit, its camping but with a few mod cons.Cheap enough on ebay?

I bought a small one for camping trips when we take the 90, loads of space and easy to put away round the back ! it might look a bit silly on the back of a d3. I have a long thin roof box if you are interested. As for a tent, we have a khayam huge, has 1 small bed, 1 med bed and a big bedroom weighs in 25kg
Post #117908 23rd Jan 2012 9:02pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Just buy a VW California... Wink Laughing Laughing Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #117960 23rd Jan 2012 11:02pm
pom

I have to say rld wigwam looks nice and easy to setup, 1 pole etc. How do you all fit in though. Sleep in a 50p layout ?

Really need a separate area for the wet boots and cooking etc though. Do people use a gazebo jobbie for this ?

Pom
Post #117986 24th Jan 2012 12:06am
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Morning Pom,
I camp pretty much every other weekend through the summer with Wife and two kids (currently 4 and 6)
We bought a big stand up tent with enough room inside to function if it is being British weather outside. It cost £200, but I visited the same camping shop on Saturday to get the charcoal for the BBQ an they had a similarly sized tent, ex demo for £100.00.
If you have a tentative (excuse the Pun Pom Laughing ) first attempt at camping and go somewhere with facilities, you could get away with very little cooking gear, if any, before sussing out whether or not a tent is the place for you and your family.
A Coleman blow up double mattress which we use year in year out can be had for about £25 and has a separate chamber on each side to allow comfy sleeping for wives whose husbands are not the same size as them:mrgreen:
Don't bother with sleeping bags, just take duvets and blankets.

It's easy and it's great!! 2009 XS 110 Utility Stornaway Grey
BAS re Remap, BAS Turbo, BAS Spec Modified Airbox, Twisted Side exit Decat Exhaust, Allisport Cooler and Hoses, OME Sport Shocks, Kangaroo Paw Discs.
2001 Discovery II
Porsche Speedster Replica 1956ish
Post #118009 24th Jan 2012 7:10am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Pom

my suggestion would be leave until you know you're gonna have some decent weather for the weekend and scoot off on the friday night to a campsite c1hr away. make they've got electricity as this will make things alot easier ie electric kettle for a brew, small fan heater for the tent to keep warm and keep the damp at bay and a plug in light.

As zag mentioned the children tend to love it. our friends children went to Tabago the one year and then camping ...... guess which they preferred Thumbs Up

oh and by the way we have a tent for sale (not perfect but for weekends and giving it all a go ideal for the money.
Post #118014 24th Jan 2012 8:18am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
so a typical list

Trailer
Tent
sleeping mats (self inflating) + pillows
camp kitchen / table + stove
lights + aux battery
cool box/fridge + water storage
Post #118017 24th Jan 2012 8:36am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Chairs too and plenty of toys for the kids to play with..kites, frisbees, foam type rockets. Not your normal 'garden' toys.

You Need to weigh up if your kids and missus are the outdoor type, that's the key to happy camping.
I'd get those cheap argos camping beds if you're starting out, they are only about £10 each but can make a difference. If the family don't dig it, you haven't thrown money away....keep an eye on local ads and ebay for 'complete' camping packages, lots of people try it but dont dig it.

It only gets expemsive when you buy weekend tents and weeks tents...then rooftents, trailers Whistle
Post #118019 24th Jan 2012 8:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>