↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Radio fitment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Radio fitment
Hi. Anybody know if the radio should have a fitting or plug at the rear? When I bought my TD5 it had a Censored after market radio fitted that packed in after my first Morocco trip (full of sand)! I had the opportunity to replace it with a better JVC unit that used to be fitted to my wife's car. Swap over was easy, or so I thought, as the old radio was only held in at the front. Another trip to Morocco and the 'new' radio vibrated out of its mounting Surprised but it is much heavier than the previous cheapo. Took it out to investigate and I see a mounting bracket fitted to the car at the rear (of the radio).

So, the question is, should there be a rubber plug that screws to the back of the radio and engages in this bracket? And, if so, anyone know what it's called or have a part number or anything? I have fitted a bolt wrapped in tape to the back of the radio at the moment to fit the hole in the bracket. Far from ideal, but better. The radio won't stay in place at all now without something at the back - not sure if I bent anything when it fell out Sad

Cheers, Tony
Post #116088 17th Jan 2012 8:39am
jof33

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Does have a rubber plug about half the size of your index finger(ish). Dont know a part number though?!
Post #116089 17th Jan 2012 8:42am
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The rubber plug is part of the radio not the land rover so a part number will be difficult to get. Have you fitted the cage at the front properly and bent the tabs up to keep it in place? My radio in my TD5 is rock solid and is a JVC unit too.

Pete.
Post #116125 17th Jan 2012 11:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kzycnn

Mine is an 04 model and the part that shakes loose is the middle bit where the radio fits within the larger console, if you know what I mean. The cage tabs are bent to hold the radio tight within the middle bit but this, itself, is not very secure within the console outer. There are a couple of springy bits of wire Question on the middle bit that don't seem to do a lot.

Any idea how your two parts fit together?

Oh and I might be able to get a rubber bung from Halfrauds or some other radio suppliers.

Thanks for the help.

Tony
Post #116160 17th Jan 2012 2:09pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Oh i know what bit your on about now. Mine just clips in and is quite secure. Maybe it has been pulled out in the past and a bit of it broken?? Maybe try glueing it in as its a bit that doesnt need to be removed for any reason.

And yes you prob can get the rubber bit from Halfords.

Pete.
Post #116268 17th Jan 2012 8:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kzycnn

Yeh, probably will glue it. Seems a bit odd that there isn't a way to properly secure it or beefier clips Smile Just got to find a proper bung first.

Cheers,

Tony
Post #116391 18th Jan 2012 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1