Home > eBay & Bargain Spots > COOL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
scottish110

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
COOL
Post #114906 13th Jan 2012 11:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I like the way it says all mods are road legal but its fitted with bush wires! lol
Post #114910 13th Jan 2012 11:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ken

United Kingdom 
Got to be a hoax "No Leaks or rattles" Rolling with laughter
Post #114913 13th Jan 2012 12:05pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Each to his own and everything but for me, that is just hideous.

The series / defender body parts thing just isn't working for me and as for cutting the body down - why? - now I'm only 5'4" but I'd barely have any headroom, let alone some bloke of average height. Rolling Eyes

All in all - bleeeeuuugggh !

And someone is offering nearly 6K? Rolling with laughter
Post #114935 13th Jan 2012 1:17pm
Doublecabdefender

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Orkney Grey
I totally agree, absolutely revolting! It takes all sorts though......... 2012 Defender 110 DCPU XS 2.2 Puma Orkney Grey

''I can resist everything except temptation. ''
Post #114977 13th Jan 2012 2:41pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
"you will be hard pushed to find a landy in this condition"

oh really? Laughing

bloody awful thing.
Post #114984 13th Jan 2012 2:53pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I think some of the comments above are too kind.

If the level of workmanship is like his level of spelling, with those looks, yes it will be a head turner and a head shaker as it is fugly and may well be classed as a ringer. Why do I argue that?

Chassis Range Rover presumably cut down from 100 " to 90 " so modified chassis

Body work is modified

Non Land Rover engine

On a G plate???

Admittedly I do not know all the ins and outs of the DVLA points system but I would suggest it should be on a Q plate!

OK has tax and MOT what about cost of INSURANCE? Bet the insurance would not come cheap.

Something about somebody's else barge pole springs to mind

Brendan

PS Zinke, bush wires in themselves are not illegal, i.e. banned outright. However if a pedestrian was injured by them yes they would find a clause to do you for having them on. All down to interpretation, i.e. grey area of law.. Also how strong is the wing?? Not a good idea to have them on whilst nipping down to the supermarket
Post #114989 13th Jan 2012 3:06pm
scottish110

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Embarassed I obviously may never redeem myself on this one huh Laughing ! Just thought it was a fun idea as to someone elses take on modifications....
Post #115001 13th Jan 2012 3:47pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
They do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Sometimes I do wonder why people do modify their vehicles the way they do.

Bottom line is that it is their vehicle and it is up to them to modify it the way they want as long as it stays road legal and safe!

Brendan
Post #115013 13th Jan 2012 4:44pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
leeds wrote:
Admittedly I do not know all the ins and outs of the DVLA points system but I would suggest it should be on a Q plate!

Given your own admission there, that's a very unfounded statement. The ad states it's a Range Rover chassis and looking at the pictures, I'd guess the wheelbase is unaltered and the body has been made to fit. If that's the case, then the only change as far as DVLA are concerned is the engine, so the original registration would be retained. The body itself is irrelevant as far as the points system goes.

By all means voice your opinion on its' looks - nobody on here seems to have any problems doing that - but don't cast doubt on the legality of something when you've admitted in the same sentence that you don't know what's legal anyway. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #115022 13th Jan 2012 5:26pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
By all means voice your opinion on its' looks - nobody on here seems to have any problems doing that - but don't cast doubt on the legality of something when you've admitted in the same sentence that you don't know what's legal anyway.

Brendan is actually right here - even if the chassis is not cut down, it would have to be 100% original and unmodified to keep the points.

As this looks to have been modified - rear crossmember, outriggers etc it would lose it's right to automatically keep the identity and require a VOSA check / SVA. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #115041 13th Jan 2012 6:15pm
LandRoverAnorak

I appreciate that Brandan might be right, but it's a big conclusion to jump to given the available information and his self-confessed lack of knowledge. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #115056 13th Jan 2012 6:36pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
One of the first question to be ascertained is what part of that vehicle (if any) the G plate refers to.

Yes I admit I do not fully understand the points system of the DVLA to keep its original registration.

A quick look on the DVLA site shows.

Quote:

Registering a radically altered vehicle

The registration of radically altered vehicles covers vehicles which are substantially altered from their original specification, but which are not kit conversions. In these cases the vehicle components used from the original vehicle will be given a numerical value in order to retain the original registration mark.
Allocating a vehicle registration mark
The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA), enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.
Scoring components
The following values will be allocated to the major components used:
chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point
Where there is evidence that two vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie 'cut and shut') a 'Q' mark will be allocated, IVA, ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.
Vehicle identification number
This is a legal requirement for all vehicles used on the public highway to carry a vehicle identity number (VIN). This may be lost when a vehicle is substantially rebuilt, particularly in the case of kit vehicles where the chassis or bodyshell may not have been stamped by the manufacturer. In such circumstances the DVLA local office will allocate a replacement VIN. The DVLA local office will issue an authorisation letter and registration will not take effect until the Agency receives confirmation that the vehicle has been stamped with the correct identity.

Now I admit I do not know/pretend to understand all the nicities of the DVLA point system, but would suggest that anyone interested in such a vehicle looks very closely at the legality of it.

The Range Rover chassis has been altered, either by cutting it down and/or adding rear crossmember outriggers to it.

The bodywork has been altered by cutting the height down and if the chassis has not been altered then length of bodywork has.

It is described as a Defender, registered March 1990, but a quick google suggest that the expression 'Defender' was not used until late 1990

The engine is not a Land Rover engine.

NO I do not understand all the ins and outs of the DVLA point scheme. I would strong suggest that anyone interested in heavily modified vehicles where such modifications affect its registration check it out very carefully.

Does that vehicle reach the 8 points required to keep its registration? I do not know, maybe someone with a better understanding of the points system could explain.

Personally I believe there are enough question marks about that vehicle to bring its legal registration into question.

Brendan

PS I still think its FUGLY!
Post #115081 13th Jan 2012 6:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

leeds wrote:
The Range Rover chassis has been altered, either by cutting it down and/or adding rear crossmember outriggers to it.

Quite possibly. The legality is a huge grey area though. There are lots of vehicles running around like this that have been deemed perfectly legal, as well as many that have probably 'slipped through the net'. IMHO, there's not enough to go on to decide which this might be.

leeds wrote:
The bodywork has been altered by cutting the height down and if the chassis has not been altered then length of bodywork has.

That's irrelevant for vehicles with a separate chassis. A Land Rover or Range Rover body doesn't contribute to the points score.

leeds wrote:
It is described as a Defender, registered March 1990, but a quick google suggest that the expression 'Defender' was not used until late 1990

True, but hardly a hanging offence in itself. Given the clearly declared modified nature of the vehicle, then it's fair to say it's just a badge.

leeds wrote:
The engine is not a Land Rover engine.

Yes, again clearly declared, and the one definite thing from the information available that would lose it a DVLA point.

leeds wrote:
NO I do not understand all the ins and outs of the DVLA point scheme. I would strong suggest that anyone interested in heavily modified vehicles where such modifications affect its registration check it out very carefully.

Does that vehicle reach the 8 points required to keep its registration? I do not know, maybe someone with a better understanding of the points system could explain.

Personally I believe there are enough question marks about that vehicle to bring its legal registration into question.

Don't misunderstand me, here. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but it is entirely possible that the whole vehicle has been certified as completely legal. All I was pointing out is that it's very unfair to cast doubt on the legality of anything if you're not sure what being legal means in the first place.

Generally of course, anybody buying this sort of thing needs to have their wits about them and if they're likely to be fooled by something like the badge on the bonnet, then they probably shouldn't bother looking. Darren

Post #115121 13th Jan 2012 7:56pm
mermoto

..funny cos compared to that black one that was chopped on here a couple of days ago I quite like this one Mr. Green The white seems to work for me.
Post #115134 13th Jan 2012 8:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>