↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Suppliers in threads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sponsorship????

The whole question of sponsorship of forums is a difficult one. Should forums be sponsored full stop?

Some forums are owned outright by various magazines or companies and they take on the full running costs/liabilities etc.

Others run on charitable donations and sometimes have funding issues.

On this forum, Martin has taken the sponsorship route to pay for the forum.

Now should the sponsors just pay up, sit back and take no further part in the forum?

Or should the sponsors take part in the hurly burley of forum life?

In fact you have sponsors who cover that whole range of possibilities.

Lets face it the sponsors on here are commercial sponsors, like it or not they are in business to make a profit! Yes commercial concerns will in general only pay out a cost in sponsorship/advertising etc if they see the possibility of some form of return. It does not make sense for businesses to upset potential customers as that could be future business and future profit.

At the end of the day each and every registered forum user IF they do not like a post for whatever reason have the ability to report that post. Just press the red triangle in the top right hand corner of post and Admin Martin then will make a decision about the post.

Brendan
Post #114248 11th Jan 2012 12:02pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
We all (sponsors) appreciate everybody's business from here...I think we've, or even I, spent more on here from members (AJS4x4, Ken, Leeds, Lookers, Mobile Storage Systems, and it carries on) than S4x4 has made from members...but that's how it goes!!
I'm soon to be ringing Leeds (Brendan) up with card details for yet another purchase (for myself....again Embarassed ).
Martin needs payment also Mr. Green Embarassed

I still think it's the best forum out there and it's the members that make it. I'm happy people have opinions, good or bad, we can read them, digest and act accordingly, or adapt and learn...Nobody's perfect Thumbs Up
Post #114251 11th Jan 2012 12:11pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
leeds wrote:
Sponsorship????

The whole question of sponsorship of forums is a difficult one. Should forums be sponsored full stop?

Some forums are owned outright by various magazines or companies and they take on the full running costs/liabilities etc.

Others run on charitable donations and sometimes have funding issues.

On this forum, Martin has taken the sponsorship route to pay for the forum.

Now should the sponsors just pay up, sit back and take no further part in the forum?

Or should the sponsors take part in the hurly burley of forum life?

In fact you have sponsors who cover that whole range of possibilities.

Lets face it the sponsors on here are commercial sponsors, like it or not they are in business to make a profit! Yes commercial concerns will in general only pay out a cost in sponsorship/advertising etc if they see the possibility of some form of return. It does not make sense for businesses to upset potential customers as that could be future business and future profit.

At the end of the day each and every registered forum user IF they do not like a post for whatever reason have the ability to report that post. Just press the red triangle in the top right hand corner of post and Admin Martin then will make a decision about the post.

Brendan

+1

Brendan, you were reading my mind loool. Thats scarey Mr. Green

Politly said already we/I as sponsor/s are here to help with forum daily life if we so wish and I feel that I personally make many and if not more non commercial post contributions to the forum that are genuine help posts than I do commercial ones.
But ultimatly and politly said if I may im also here as a commercial seller just as the other sponsors are and to use as said it as another shop window of which I/we have paid for and of which I/we hope to recoup in commecrial sales which do go towards keeping the forum here in the first place.

As said everyoe is entitled to their view and its nice to read it sometimes and see the other side of the fences views.

Pete
Post #114268 11th Jan 2012 1:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
As sponsors we are also human individuals as well.

Yes we all sometimes get out of bed the wrong side, yes we all sometimes post things which might not be as clear as it could be, yes we all misread/misinterprete somebodies post. (OK for we all, subsitute me, because I know I do)

If certain people post on certain matters I am reasonably certain that the information they put up will be 99% accurate.

Other people if they post on certain matters I am doubtful of the accuracy of their information. IF I started to give advice on rebuilding a turbo/alternator etc or how to replace fuel injectors I would be speaking out of my rear orifice as I would not have a clue about how to do it or had just googled it and got it wrong.

So regular forum readers (regular readers may not be regular posters) will gain over a period of time a good idea in general how helpful/informative/accurate a regular poster is or is not.

Yes forum sponsors do buy/sell to each other be it on a personal basis or a commercial basis. Yes we do talk to each other, swop ideas, swop information. Just like 'normal' forum users.

At the end of the day, every forum user can decide themselves either to ignore a post, report a post (just like a printed ad in a magazine) buy from a particular sponsor or not. That is know as free choice/free will

Brendan
Post #114275 11th Jan 2012 1:45pm

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
Many thanks for your input.

It really isn't just like an advert in a magazine, otherwise I suspect that is what you would do.

A forum allows you to generate a trusted status with a large number of users and they in return reward you with their business. I personally have spent thousands on suppliers on the forum and have been delighted with the service and knowledge that you share.

I absolutely understand that for your c£1,000 per month you expect to be able to promote your products and if you read my post carefully you will see that I acknowledge those suppliers that are making positive and useful contributions.

Keep it professional, if another supplier is mentioned in a thread don't rubbish their products and then start promoting your own just because you contribute to the forum, in our own way we all contribute, don't forget where that advertising money may come from (although in light of Green1 comments, I may be wrong)

If you think I am alone on this tirade, I can tell you that when I meet with other forum users this always comes up.
Post #114377 11th Jan 2012 6:58pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
£1000 per month Shocked Get away! I'm going to set up a forum Laughing
Post #114381 11th Jan 2012 7:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGH

United Kingdom 
I thought about looking into forum sponsorship but IMHO not worth it for the product I sell due to monthly fee and low volume sales to be made on here.

We work on word of mouth and web presence seems to work Thumbs Up

Simon 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #114399 11th Jan 2012 7:55pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Well firstly, can I say that if the impression is that sponsors are paying £1000 a month to advertise on here the you are hugely wrong, or have been told massive porkies! Shocked

It is stated in the site's commercial rules that sponsors can't comment on each other's offerings/threads, what happened earlier in the week is a one-off and not at all the usual state of affairs, as I'm sure you know from being a member for the last 3 years.

I take on board your comments about what others have said to you, but very few people communicate issues with any aspect of the site with me. If anyone has thoughts about how to improve the site then I am always open to feedback - there is a dedicated area for this and I am available via PM or email.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #114498 11th Jan 2012 11:47pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Sticky wrote:
If you think I am alone on this tirade, I can tell you that when I meet with other forum users this always comes up.

Really? I've met with other forum members on an number of occasions and it has never come up.

I don't have a problem with their input either - if I feel a sponsor is pushing too hard or rubbishing the competition it would just make me avoid spending money with them.

I'm beginning to wonder what your agenda is here to be honest ..... John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #115012 13th Jan 2012 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12