↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > OBD port and Y pieces
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
OBD port and Y pieces
so if i fit a Y piece to give 2 outputs can i fit and use two items on it?

ie can i fit and leave fitted a Scanguage and then when it goes to the dealer can they plug straight in or does the scanguage need to be removed from the other port?

or could the dealer connect and use it if scanguage was turned off but still connected? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #113749 9th Jan 2012 4:04pm
Lorryman100

You would need to disconnect the plug on the back of the scangauge before plugging anything into the other connection of the Y lead.
I have a Y lead which I purchased and never used because you don't really need one. When you plug in the OBD lead from the scangauge use a torx screwdriver to undo the OBD securing screw and push the complete socket and plug into the fusebox. This allows fitting of the fusebox cover with only a slight bulge. I then leave the screw in the dookit under the steering wheel so it does not get lost. To remove the scangauges OBD plug pull the complete assembly back into the mounting position and refit the screw before unplugging the scangauge. Thumbs Up

Brian.
Post #113754 9th Jan 2012 4:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

cheers for the confirmation Brian.

So i could fit a Y and then just unplug lead on the back of the scanguage, and have a the 2nd port from the Y there for the dealer to use. hence leaving the scanguage lead still connected and not needing to go in there and play around each time it goes to the dealer. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #113755 9th Jan 2012 4:26pm
Lorryman100

Yes. Thumbs Up The only issue I see with this set up is that you would probably need to mount the other end of the Y lead in the same location as the original OBD socket so the dealer can find it when plugging in their diag gear.

Brian.
Post #113757 9th Jan 2012 4:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

Lorryman100 wrote:
other end of the Y lead in the same location as the original OBD socket so the dealer can find it when plugging in their diag gear.

Brian.

thats was my plan! will have to see what the ends look like! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #113759 9th Jan 2012 4:42pm
jst

thank you. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #113760 9th Jan 2012 4:42pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If you want to have the Scangauge connected permenantly then just push the OBD socket backwards and to the right , behind the R Speaker, and plug in the OBD lead from the Scangauge.
If you want to connect the Scangauge and still be able to "easily" connect other diagnostic equipment, then get an OBD "Y" connector. Fit as above but push 1 limb of the Y back into the fusebox and through the original OBD hole and secure in place. [ I just pulled the OBD plug through the hole then used some gaffer tape wrapped around the base of the OBD plug and then pushed it back into the OBD hole and now I can unplug the Scanguage at the display unit and the Dealer can plug in his diagnostic unit as usual without any interference/complaints ]
http://www.obd2-shop.eu/obd2yadapterto2xob...anguage=en LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #113796 9th Jan 2012 7:24pm
Kez

Isle Of Man 
I bought one of these £11.27 inc delivery http://bit.ly/y4qts7
Post #114048 10th Jan 2012 1:41pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Think the question was,

If i fitted a Y piece into the OBD socket, one end to go to a Scangauge, the other end to replace the factory socket in the bracket could both ends be connected up at the same time, and would they work,
ie info to the scangauge as well as to the dealer diagnostic tool at the same time ?? or would the scangauge need to be disconnected at the gauge end ?

Can the OBD shares info to 2 units at the same time ? California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #114088 10th Jan 2012 6:31pm
Lorryman100

Lorryman100 wrote:
You would need to disconnect the plug on the back of the scangauge before plugging anything into the other connection of the Y lead.

TJ101 wrote:
Can the OBD shares info to 2 units at the same time ?

I would think No, as I would surmise that each tool would be in conflict with each other when they interrogated the relevant module ie EMS as the data would be requested by one tool and while this comms was in progress the other tool would not be able to communicate with that module so you may get one tool with comms and the other tool would show no comms with that module. There may be conflict issues within the module being interrogated by two tools, also the OBD socket supplies the power for the diag tools so powering two tools may be an issue. I would say that the scangauge would need to be disconnected at the gauge end before plugging anything else in. If anyone wishes to try using two tools at the same time could they post up what happened as I am not willing to test this theory?

Brian.
Post #114092 10th Jan 2012 7:04pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Lorryman100 wrote:
Lorryman100 wrote:

TJ101 wrote:
Can the OBD shares info to 2 units at the same time ?

If anyone wishes to try using two tools at the same time could they post up what happened as I am not willing to test this theory?

Brian.

Confirms what i though Brian from a past experience from memory

Think I will also pass on being a guinea pig as well Whistle California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #114095 10th Jan 2012 7:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1