↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > steering guards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
I hear this plough comment about steering guards when being recovered backwards.

Surely for the steering guard to act as a plough the back edge of the steering guard has to be in the mud?

Making some general assumptions here, if the back edge of the steering guard is below mud level, surely at least the bottom of the front and rear axles are below mud level?

So will not both the front and rear axles act as ploughs as well?

Ok they may or maynot gather as much mud as the steering guard, but surely they will also give resistance to being extracted backwards.

Now why there are equations to work out the force to recover a vehicle, I wonder how much resistance to being recovered is given by the two axles compared to the so call plough effect from a steering guard?

Brendan
Post #112758 6th Jan 2012 1:01am
Lorryman100

I have a safari equip one supplied by Brendan (leeds). It has a 2"receiver which takes a recovery billet with a shackle and also allows the fitting of a drop plate to fit a tow ball onto. There are also two very substantial lugs on either side that can take a shackle.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It is a very substantial lump of metal and I have been told it would make a very good mud plough if you needed recovered from the rear from deep mud. Wink

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #112759 6th Jan 2012 1:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
I hear this plough comment about steering guards when being recovered backwards.

Surely for the steering guard to act as a plough the back edge of the steering guard has to be in the mud?

Making some general assumptions here, if the back edge of the steering guard is below mud level, surely at least the bottom of the front and rear axles are below mud level?

So will not both the front and rear axles act as ploughs as well?

Ok they may or maynot gather as much mud as the steering guard, but surely they will also give resistance to being extracted backwards.

Now why there are equations to work out the force to recover a vehicle, I wonder how much resistance to being recovered is given by the two axles compared to the so call plough effect from a steering guard?

Brendan

Yes and yes. The diference being that whilst the axles give a pile of resistance, it's nothing like the resistance given by the guard. But worse than that, what happens is that whatever you're stuck in, be it mud, snow, sand etc, when you're recovred backwards gets shoved up into the engine bay, totally filling it. I've seen it happen with sand and with snow, it's not pretty. The snow one I recovered (petrol vCool and it wouldn't start, no surprise really. The 110 in the sand was worse, it took three vehicles to pull it out, and the sand forced up into the engine bay buckled the bonnet and tore off /ripped various pipes and ultimately broke the guard itself. There were also issues with brake hoses, fan and radiator - it was a real mess.

Granted, the majority of people here with steering guards will unlikely get into that situation on a green lane, but for overland travel it's a consideration which is why i always had the bar on my 90's. If it isn't a consideration for here, then I would say why have a steering guard at all. They have become an "automatic buy" for people with defenders despite them not really being needed. on a Defender, a diff guard is far more useful (in my opinion) due to the relatively thin steel the pan is made from.
Post #112760 6th Jan 2012 1:17am
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
I fitted my galv steering guard mostly for its recovery eyes.
Post #112761 6th Jan 2012 1:28am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
So if you have a basic LR guard fitted, is there anywhere safe on the front where you can be recovered? (by professionals of course).

A quick search found this sort of thing...

Does it make sense?

Already have combi-towing hitch on the back.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #112792 6th Jan 2012 10:05am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
i never understand why people dont fit military bumpers, with the centre drop pin, if they want to have a safe front recovery point. i always sail straight through scrutineering on that item when i go on off road courses?
Post #112800 6th Jan 2012 10:19am
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
yer military bumpers are so strong well worth looking at Thumbs Up
Post #112803 6th Jan 2012 10:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
So if you have a basic LR guard fitted, is there anywhere safe on the front where you can be recovered? (by professionals of course).

A quick search found this sort of thing...

Does it make sense?

Already have combi-towing hitch on the back.

Do you want me to bring some across when I am in Germany next month? Whistle

Try fitting a winch into a military bumper Razz

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #112809 6th Jan 2012 10:30am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
For recovery points on a Defender Jate Rings are cheap, simple and quick to fit.
Post #112812 6th Jan 2012 10:45am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
If dosh ever allows I was thinknig of getting a steering guard with a heavy duty Devon4x4 bumper which has built in recovery eyes - will put a link up, the bumper looks very standard, ELZ had one on his Thumbs Up

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=sho...;Itemid=14

Good thread, any more steering guard pics, I will be interested one day........purely for looks of course Whistle
Post #112818 6th Jan 2012 10:56am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Zagato wrote:
If dosh ever allows I was thinknig of getting a steering guard with a heavy duty Devon4x4 bumper which has built in recovery eyes - will put a link up, the bumper looks very standard, ELZ had one on his Thumbs Up

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=sho...;Itemid=14

Good thread, any more steering guard pics, I will be interested one day........purely for looks of course Whistle

Personally i don't think the standard bumper gives enough protection to the front end. theres not enough steel between my air con grill and the front of the bumper.

This ones on my list

Post #112824 6th Jan 2012 11:08am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
leeds wrote:

I just checked and my sodding soft A-bar is exactly in the way Sad
Anything else you can bring? Thought about drilling sideways through the front end of the chassis (about 2" back) and fitting something?

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #112827 6th Jan 2012 11:17am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
ZeDefender wrote:
leeds wrote:

I just checked and my sodding soft A-bar is exactly in the way Sad
Anything else you can bring? Thought about drilling sideways through the front end of the chassis (about 2" back) and fitting something?

Cheers
Matt

As I mentioned above - why not just fit some Jate Rings? AFAIK the standard Defender chassis comes out the factory with the holes already there so no drilling required.
Post #112829 6th Jan 2012 11:23am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
What make of bumper and guard is that TIG. Devon/Terrafirma Question
Post #112831 6th Jan 2012 11:30am
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Zagato wrote:

£100'ish from Rebel 4x4.... 10mm steel brackets and 8mm ali guard. Looks almost identical to the one Paddocks do for similar money.

Wondering about the holes in the guard.... are they just for looks or were they put there specifically to mitigate some of the possible 'ploughing' effects previously mentioned??? Never really thought about it until I dug out the pic......

Knowing that you like a gleaming finish Zag, Rebel state on their website that you can get a highly polished finish on these with plenty of brasso and elbow grease Smile Not something I shall be trying myself..... still haven't washed her since August!

Click image to enlarge
 Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #112847 6th Jan 2012 12:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>