↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > House renovations start today :x
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
House renovations start today :x
Good job i got a van/ D1, the wife mentioned about going down the tip in the 110....yeh right

Got a deadline to meet as we want to be moved by the summer, new central heating and bathroom to do. Good job my latest contract is only 20 mins away Thumbs Up and it starts next week so plenty of room moving today.
Post #112405 5th Jan 2012 1:12pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Good luck with that T1G. Brings back memories of two years ago and I've still got the whole of the upstairs to do!

Pete
Post #112422 5th Jan 2012 1:57pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Good luck TIG...I've still got the whole house to do Big Cry Laughing
Post #112425 5th Jan 2012 2:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

i have a plan, i want to move south,Devon actually.

So i will sell up here and rent, find a plot and get on
Post #112428 5th Jan 2012 2:15pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Sounds like a blimmen good plan I would like to do the same but in Cornwall as it sooo cheap, one day when wifes job allows Rolling Eyes
Post #112433 5th Jan 2012 2:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

Zagato wrote:
Sounds like a blimmen good plan I would like to do the same but in Cornwall as it sooo cheap, one day when wifes job allows Rolling Eyes

ummm yes i have the same sort of issues but i generally ignore her!

This was one of the precursors for buying the 110 in all honesty.
Post #112435 5th Jan 2012 2:31pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Its an expensive game, I had the whole house to do after moving in October.
I nearly had a heart attack over the cost of carpet, £3000, got it down to £2600, £180 for a few blinds, christ!

spend about £6k so far!
Post #112438 5th Jan 2012 2:36pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
We have had the same quote for carpet Shocked forget a new kitchen Shocked it's why we havn't been able to do anything to the house, just a lick of paint...wife not happy...thought she would have got used to it after ten years Rolling with laughter Whistle
Post #112440 5th Jan 2012 2:40pm
T1G UP

Paul_1978 wrote:
Its an expensive game, I had the whole house to do after moving in October.
I nearly had a heart attack over the cost of carpet, £3000, got it down to £2600, £180 for a few blinds, christ!

spend about £6k so far!

well i have to do the central heating, i'll do all the importatnt bits and get a gas fitter to check and sign off.

The bathrooms in need aswell. did the kitchen last year and the garage / drive needs finishing.

were luck in the fact we bought at the right time here.

I'm looking at Devon but if what we want comes up here....doubtfull thenwe'll stay. Not enamored with the secondary schools locally and as the kids are young nows the time.
Post #112441 5th Jan 2012 2:41pm
Bodsy

The Trick with Carpets is to get the carpet fitters to agree to fit the underlay, carpet and gripper rods, then buy the gripperrods & Underlay direct yourself for a fraction of the cost that carpetright etc charge.

i.e. carpetright (or whatever the nearest carpet franchise is) etc will charge 6.99 up to 10.99 sqm for Underlay. You can get the exact came underlay (and i mean exact) off the net for about £2 sqm. Gripper rods again a fraction of the price. It was cheaper for me to buy 100m of gripper rods than it was to buy 20m of their gripper.

Might sound like penny pinching, but if your paying £3000 for carpet fitting (I assume all inc) then you should be able to save yourself some considerable cash!

Obviously if you are doing the whole house, then that's an even bigger consideration! Most carpet fitters are used to this nowadays.

One other tip is to get the best underlay that you possibly can as it's the underlay that makes a carpet last longer and feel softer Thumbs Up Over on D3
Post #112474 5th Jan 2012 3:55pm
T1G UP

Bodsy wrote:
The Trick with Carpets is to get the carpet fitters to agree to fit the underlay, carpet and gripper rods, then buy the gripperrods & Underlay direct yourself for a fraction of the cost that carpetright etc charge.

i.e. carpetright (or whatever the nearest carpet franchise is) etc will charge 6.99 up to 10.99 sqm for Underlay. You can get the exact came underlay (and i mean exact) off the net for about £2 sqm. Gripper rods again a fraction of the price. It was cheaper for me to buy 100m of gripper rods than it was to buy 20m of their gripper.

Might sound like penny pinching, but if your paying £3000 for carpet fitting (I assume all inc) then you should be able to save yourself some considerable cash!

Obviously if you are doing the whole house, then that's an even bigger consideration! Most carpet fitters are used to this nowadays.

One other tip is to get the best underlay that you possibly can as it's the underlay that makes a carpet last longer and feel softer Thumbs Up

no need for carpets thank whoever is the god of carpets!

quite fancy one of these though http://www.splashdirect.com/Showers/Shower...p4326.aspx
Post #112481 5th Jan 2012 4:21pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Thats without underlay and grippers, just the carpet, over 100m2 of the stuff.
Have to pay for quality, so going for a 50oz British wool.

Carpet right were just cowboys, got that impression stright away, went for a local lad whos done a sterling job so far. Hes don it at that price with new underlay in rooms like the living room and stairs where new stuff is required.
Post #112491 5th Jan 2012 4:53pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the tip Bodsy Thumbs Up
Post #112498 5th Jan 2012 5:08pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Got the garage conversion finished on Christmas Eve - all decorated and furniture made so my youngest could cut a ribbon on Christmas Day (It is a 4th bedroom for him when he is here and a study for me to use during the week.)

The room takes up most of the old single garage that was full of junk and I have a 4.5 ft deep workshop area left at the front.

Need to do some decorating in the hall now where the new door went in. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #112511 5th Jan 2012 5:29pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
just got me thinking of when we moved to Ireland in 2006 and built our house. It took exactly a year. Where the hell I got the energy/patience from I'll never know. I would never be able to do that again
Post #112527 5th Jan 2012 6:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>