Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Sealing a windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Sealing a windscreen
Wet foot again...

Someone told me on this forum that I should get my windscreen "sealed" and that my local window fitter could do it. Unfortunately, all I have local here is an independent garage and they didn't understand (in my bad German) what I wanted - said all windscreens are sealed Rolling Eyes

Please can someone tell me what exactly has to be done - does the glass/rubber need to come off or is it something I/they can do with the window still in?

Sorry if this is a dippy question.

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #112092 4th Jan 2012 6:54pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Matt

I did the job myself, not difficult.

I puchased a tube of this

http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/product/27...black.html

I got a strong plastic spatula and eased the windscreen rubber away from the body and pumped the sealer in - it does help if you have three hands but can be done with two Thumbs Up

Once the nozzle is between the rubber and body you should be able to run along the top etc in one go and only need to ease the rubber up again when you move to the next edge. I pumped in sealer until it oozed out.

Worst job is cleaning the excess sealer off but plenty of rags and white spirit soon sort it out.

Bob
Post #112121 4th Jan 2012 7:41pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
As Bob says Matt, it's the non drying sealant you want, as described in the corrosion prevention guide Sad

"Yes the nozzle on your substance of choice if cut at an angle will go under the rubber so just run the nozzle along whilst pumping out the stuff with the caulking gun. It's a very messy/tricky job especially with the alpine lights, I took my inserts out to do those as they are in so hard!"

As said before also modern car windows are sealed and cemented as they are a structural part of the vehicle. Old type windows such as the Defender ones are not structural and it is better to use the non drying sealant Thumbs Up

Last edited by Zagato on 4th Jan 2012 7:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #112124 4th Jan 2012 7:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Aha! So you're actually sealing the window rubber to the frame and not the glass to the rubber Rolling Eyes
Don't I feel Embarassed
Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #112125 4th Jan 2012 7:46pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I did think about sealing the glass/rubber edge but the rubber to metal sealing has sorted mine out Thumbs Up

Bob
Post #112127 4th Jan 2012 7:50pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Matt you do both sides of the rubber Thumbs Up glass and body sides! Water just runs down the glass under your rubber otherwise.

I am surprised your window fitter didn't know what to do, he's obviously not used to older style vehicles Rolling Eyes !) When I had mine done 5 years ago on the TD5 the guy bought the right stuff especially for me. He does a lot of work changing cracked Alfa windows as the quality of the structural frame is crap and rusting after only a couple of years - they use the hard cement stuff on these of course! Not needed on a flexible Defender Whistle
Post #112129 4th Jan 2012 7:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1