Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
ken

United Kingdom 
Has he gone yet ? Wink Laughing Whistle
Post #112073 4th Jan 2012 5:53pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Good bye DoE, hopefully you'll have better luck with the Vdub Cool 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #112299 5th Jan 2012 7:39am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Confimed on the "posh tent" today.

Pick it up Monday.

Hasn't all been bad with the Landy - we've enjoyed it very much and we sorted the headaches in the end. They are like a cheeky school kid - hard work but actually quite charming.

Gave it "the works" and drop it off tomorrow. I'm pretty confident the next owner will have a decent truck with all niggles possible sorted by us!! Mr. Green Big Cry Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #112579 5th Jan 2012 8:01pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Well we've had the Cali just over a day now. I drove 350 miles home then spent the day out with the kids (1 and 3) today.

It's a manual 180 4Motion.

Firstly - great to drive! Really nicely put together, very "solid" the 180 engine definitely moves it along very well, it handles surprisingly well, brakes are strong and it's very easy to drive.

It's full of surprises - so many great little touches that make me smile. VW really have thought about the design very hard and come up with a cracking product.

Visibility is very good with the lofty driving position - feels higher than our previous Defender! It has a decent turning circle and is easy to move around in a near car like manner.

A few little bits are "interesting" - the shelving covering the gas bottle looks like a few offcuts from a plastic box, the glovebox looks rather cheap inside (why not rubber line it) and unless I'm being silly, where are the cupholders?!! I also found the front curtain arrangement rather funny - not tested it yet but the demo was rather "apologetic!"

So only driven it and scratched the surface of it's cambering abilities - we'll probably do a trip this weekend. The bits we have used have been great - the heater, the roof, the sliding table and the rotating front chairs.

Bought a gas bottle (first one so about £80 - yikes!) and a 25m hook up cable (£38!) but possibly after a few other items if anyone can recommend?

1)Can you get a fitted rear load liner? That's where the dog will go and we'd rather keep it tidy!
2) Any way of protecting the middle carpet bit between the front seats? We have rubber foot mats but the light grey carpet between them looks vulnerable!

Ours has a few extras and I think they're all very worthwhile - the Kenwood multimedia system is excellent. Great SatNav, really good stereo sounds, syncs to mobiles, etc. Climate is very nice indeed, the privacy glass is great, the seats covers look useful, the cruise is great, the MF steering wheel is handy, the Vis pack B came in handy on the 350 mile wet drive home last night, the mud flaps work, the rear bumper cover is essential with a dog and probably some other bits I've forgotten!

It feels very special too - sure it lists at over £50k with options but what does that get you these days? Fairly average "premium" SUV? A big engined saloon? Nothing much really. This looks and feels fantastic!

Overall, very pleased indeed!!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'll miss the Landy and know that we got a bit of a duffer (now sorted) but this seems to suit us better. I'll never be one of those slightly bitter ex Defender owners that bash them all the time. I like them a lot. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #114121 10th Jan 2012 8:35pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Looks well Matt, happy new car Thumbs Up
Post #114122 10th Jan 2012 8:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234