↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Slush tyre advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Slush tyre advice?
Wife was concerned about sideways movement when braking on slush today, so I am putting my dastardly plan into action Thumbs Up

When I bought the 110 I got Conti CrossContact ATs on Boosts as standard LR kit. They are fine on "real" snow and I thought they'd be okay on slush but they're not Shocked

I'm thinking about Wolfs plus something more "slush-friendly" e.g. 235 or 265 Cooper Discoverers or Nokian Hakkapelittas etc.
or are all tyres rubbish on slush?

Any suggestions most welcome Smile

Cheers
MAtt

p.s. yes, I know to drive more slowly, brake earlier etc. but I've never driven something weighing 3 tons before Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #111078 31st Dec 2011 3:43pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Won't make any difference what tyre you have, slush is slippery, it's just the way it is. Don't waste your money on Nokians, if you want STTs for general driving and laning then yes, they're excellent tyres and quiet on tarmac too, but they won't improve handling on thick slush, nothing will apart from slowing down and taking it easy.
Post #111080 31st Dec 2011 3:50pm
ZeDefender

Sigh - as I suspected - now have to justify the Wolfs some other way...
Cheers
MAtt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #111084 31st Dec 2011 4:03pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I don't get why everyone loves Wolf rims so much, they look just like modulars yet seem to cost more just cos the Army use them.

IMO, I'd rather have the boost alloys you've got or, a set of modulars.

When I bought new 8 spokes for the Series 3 they started rusting about ten minutes later. Very disappointing. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #111089 31st Dec 2011 4:07pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
RRUK wrote:
I don't get why everyone loves Wolf rims so much, they look just like modulars yet seem to cost more just cos the Army use them.

When I bought new 8 spokes for the Series 3 they started rusting about ten minutes later. Very disappointing.

There much stronger than standard modulars thats why people like them so much. So far ive not managed to bend any wheel on a land rover though so my boosts will do me fine. For a pure working land rover i would have wolf wheels every time but i have to go out in mine as well as across the fields lol.

Pete.
Post #111097 31st Dec 2011 4:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

RRUK wrote:

...both? Razz

I just love the way Wolfs look and they're bloody tough too.

What black modulars might you suggest? My wagon seems to be moving rapidly towards the "Italian Police Defender" genre so they'd have to match. Your opinion would be most welcome as the whole wheel-fetish thing is quite new to me Whistle

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #111140 31st Dec 2011 5:57pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Ze, what do you use your vehicle for?
Post #111142 31st Dec 2011 5:58pm
ZeDefender

BigMike wrote:
Ze, what do you use your vehicle for?

Towing horseboxes and caravans Embarassed biking, snowboarding, moving feed, long trips around Italy, Austria, Croatia etc.
Recently moving flats for 3 kids (lots of IKEA in back - very embarrassing).
Getting through the sodding slush then snow then mud and then the floods to come...

Greenlaning to come - more like mountaineering round here Thumbs Up

Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #111150 31st Dec 2011 6:14pm
ken

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:
Won't make any difference what tyre you have, slush is slippery, it's just the way it is. Don't waste your money on Nokians, if you want STTs for general driving and laning then yes, they're excellent tyres and quiet on tarmac too, but they won't improve handling on thick slush, nothing will apart from slowing down and taking it easy.

Disagree there proper Full Winters will greatly change you're driving experience Cooper STT's are not proper full Winters thou Nokian do some fab winter tyres

Winter Tyres make one hell of a difference M&S are not winter tyres just a comprmise
Post #111161 31st Dec 2011 8:04pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Disagree away. slush is slippery no matter what you have on. If we had the perfect tyre for every condition we'd have so many sets there wouldnt be room in the garage. Every tyre is a compromise.

Ze, to be honest mate, save your money, you dont need wolf wheels based on your useage.
Post #111187 1st Jan 2012 2:34am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
You could try losing some of the weight - at 3 tonnes the 110 is almost fully laden, making it a bit lighter might help??? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #111191 1st Jan 2012 8:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ken

United Kingdom 
Sorry Mike the right tyres will make all the differance without starting a debate about which Winter tyres which is down to choice having the correct tyres make a huge advantage. Yes "Slush" is slippery but the correct tyres will make a difference

We have taken loads of non believers out to Geneva to demonstrate why and they have come back educated, on the other hand at the mo CWT's down this way are a waste of time as the ambient temp is way to high.

At the end of the day its a personal choice but for me the only thing that keeps you on the road are those black round things so I spend whats required to give me the edge required to keep me safe Thumbs Up
Post #111194 1st Jan 2012 9:17am
ZeDefender

BigMike wrote:
Ze, to be honest mate, save your money, you dont need wolf wheels based on your useage.

That is probably true in any case. Would love some black wheels though -just for posing Laughing

I see both yours and Ken's points of view - it's hard to believe anything can grip on slush and the Conti ATs have a fairly aggressive profile anyway. On the other hand I know first hand that winter tyres make an enormous difference on snow and ice (soft compound and tread pattern). With slush, however, the "slippyness" is due to all the cold wet stuff moving around freely (usually on an icy surface), so could anything really cut through it?

The question therefore is whether any tyre can really help on slush. Isn't it more like mud on Teflon?

Thanks for all your advice.

Happy new year to you all Very Happy Tell someone you love them today because life is short.

Last edited by ZeDefender on 1st Jan 2012 1:02pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #111202 1st Jan 2012 10:59am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
ken wrote:
Sorry Mike the right tyres will make all the differance without starting a debate about which Winter tyres which is down to choice having the correct tyres make a huge advantage. Yes "Slush" is slippery but the correct tyres will make a difference

We have taken loads of non believers out to Geneva to demonstrate why and they have come back educated, on the other hand at the mo CWT's down this way are a waste of time as the ambient temp is way to high.

At the end of the day its a personal choice but for me the only thing that keeps you on the road are those black round things so I spend whats required to give me the edge required to keep me safe Thumbs Up

I agree, I drove my td5 110 on cooper discoverer snow tyres and it makes a huge difference in grip levels.
Post #111224 1st Jan 2012 12:59pm
ZeDefender

bpman wrote:
I agree, I drove my td5 110 on cooper discoverer snow tyres and it makes a huge difference in grip levels.

On just snow or slush or both?

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #111225 1st Jan 2012 1:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>