Home > Puma (Tdci) > Questions prior to buying second-hand '08 110 XS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Questions prior to buying second-hand '08 110 XS
Hi all,

First off - I really like this forum. Everyone seems friendly, helpful and polite - and there are loads of great tips and other info.

After much research I've finally decided on picking up a second-hand '08 110 XS, from a dealer. I've been looking at low-mileage ones, with well under 5K on the board.

The Defender will be used mainly on weekend jaunts, as well as on long cross continent trips, which occur on a fairly regular basis. The long distance driving is one of the reasons I will be going for the Puma-engined Defender, as the 6th speed should surely come in handy. I really like the space available on the 110. Also, some of the areas we usually drive in, such as Eastern Europe, have really appalling road conditions - winter and summer. The 4WD would definitely come in handy.

Our current car is a LH-drive Mercedes, however thankfully we don't need to use it every day, as driving a LH car here can be a handful sometimes (momentary lapses of awareness, especially when turning in intersections!)

Based on the reliability of our Merc, my original choice was a Viano or Vito, however after reading about rust (and other issues) they have, I decided against one. The dreadful customer service we got from Mercedes here didn't help either…

The relative simplicity of the Defender design, especially compared to that of a Viano, really appeals to me. I have to admit that I've always liked Defenders, however I never thought that I'd have a good reason for picking one up until now!

Just a few questions however…

- With second-hand models at dealers, is there anything I should ask - for example, if certain "known issue" fixes have been fitted, etc?

- Is there any way of seeing the service/issue history based on the chassis number?

- Are there any dealers that are better rated than others? I'm in London. The few that I've dealt with so far have been helpful, however I know how their attitude can change once money changes hands!

- Also related to dealers… as it is a second-hand Defender that I'm looking at, is there anything extra that I should push for (other than a better price)?

- How difficult is it to remove one of the rear sets (not the extra two in the case of the seven seater, but rather the fold-forward ones behind the driver's seat)?

- Does anyone have any info on how well Defenders fare in collisions? I know that they don't have airbags - and that isn't really an issue. I grew up driving cars without airbags, and somehow managed to survive. This info is primarily for the missus, to set her mind at ease.

Many thanks!
Post #7946 3rd Mar 2009 5:16pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Most of your questions have been answered on hear already,pm me the reg no., and I'll hpi it for you. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #7947 3rd Mar 2009 6:36pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Look at the bulletins Eduardo has posted. Also try to check the traction control unit as some vehicles, as far as I know, are a bit dodgy sometimes. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #7948 3rd Mar 2009 7:17pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks for the tips... I'll gladly be spending some more time here researching!
Post #7949 3rd Mar 2009 8:20pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
MK wrote:
Look at the bulletins Eduardo has posted. Also try to check the traction control unit as some vehicles, as far as I know, are a bit dodgy sometimes.

Are they? I'd not come across this one. In what way does it show up? Mine appears to be working fine but I'd like to know what to look out for. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #7984 4th Mar 2009 2:59pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I believe read in this forum people complaining about it. I recall sometimes sensors get dirty or so. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #7989 4th Mar 2009 3:24pm
Setok

Finland 
Safety
In collisions the Defender is apparently one of the safest cars out there. I can't remember where I read it, but based on UK statistics, the best car to be in in a collision is a Defender, with only 1% of all car-on-car collisions leading to fatal or serious injury. It was quite literally top of the league.
Post #8006 4th Mar 2009 6:05pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Re: Safety
Setok wrote:
In collisions the Defender is apparently one of the safest cars out there. I can't remember where I read it, but based on UK statistics, the best car to be in in a collision is a Defender, with only 1% of all car-on-car collisions leading to fatal or serious injury. It was quite literally top of the league.

DfT Mike
Post #8008 4th Mar 2009 6:06pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Re: Questions prior to buying second-hand '08 110 XS
eutek wrote:

- How difficult is it to remove one of the rear sets (not the extra two in the case of the seven seater, but rather the fold-forward ones behind the driver's seat)?

Many thanks!

Easy,, mine have been out 3/4 times now, simple bolt job, California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #8014 4th Mar 2009 6:47pm
Fontuin

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
TJ101 wrote:
eutek wrote:

Many thanks!

Easy,, mine have been out 3/4 times now, simple bolt job,

Is it easy to remove that 'hump' in the middle of the floor that holds the seats in place too?
Post #8051 5th Mar 2009 7:19am
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
[quote="Fontuin"][quote="TJ101"]
eutek wrote:

Is it easy to remove that 'hump' in the middle of the floor that holds the seats in place too?

Yep,,8 screws holding the plastic trim, then 8 ?? bolts and out it comes California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #8052 5th Mar 2009 7:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1