Home > Td5 > Penman Trailer hitch mounting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Penman Trailer hitch mounting
Hi all,

Plenty of info on here again about Penman / Sankey / Wolf trailers, however I have a version of the NAS (I think) rear step, so maybe not straightforward? I've added a photo, not the best, but wondered if anyone knew from a glance what I'd need to make it work. I know the Penman sits high, even when slightly nose down and well above the current 50mm ball height hitch already fitted. My question is whether I can bolt a Nato style ring hitch directly to the crossmember and use with no further mods / brackets etc (including keeping the spare wheel on the back door), or whether I would need an adjustable hitch / plate / pintle and also lose the spare off the door.
I know these trailers are 24v, with some already converted or easily converted to 12v. I just like them and the Penman version at least has a stainless body and represents good value against new, modern lightweight galv stuff. I've said in other posts that i don't intend to tow much at all (frequency or weight) but i will do occasionally, so I'm not after a heavy duty Ifor Williams etc.

As always, any advice much appreciated.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1032937 26th Apr 2024 1:23pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Your best approach would be to remove the NAS step and fit the pintle to the rear cross-member (using the appropriate reinforcing plate) in the factory-approved manner. This is the only method which is legal if your Defender is recent enough to require a type-approved coupling (I can't tell from your photo due to the vanity plate) or, of course, if it is an M1 variant vehicle.

On a civilian vehicle you will still find that the pintle is rather low for the lunette on the trailer, but it is the best that can practicably be achieved and is satisfactory. You can get the pintle marginally higher if you use a DB slider-type mount (which are also TA) but will only be an inch or so higher.

Note that if using a pintle on the cross-member you must run with the pintle free to rotate and you must use a reinforcing plate between the pintle and cross-member.

Although some people have mounted pintles on NAS steps there is no effective way to get it anywhere near an acceptable height and most involve terrifying buckshee lash-ups. Even if not required to be type-approved it is not a good idea. If TA is required, it is blatantly illegal and quite likely to get you into quite a lot of trouble (guaranteed in the even of an accident).
Post #1032940 26th Apr 2024 1:55pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Hi, thanks for comments @blackwolf. I see you are SW Eng - whereabouts?

Vanity plate is no longer fitted, it was the previous owners. It's a 2004 and is N1.

I'm not really sure if I like the NAS rear step or not, I thought I did! I had thought that a normal folding rear step would actually make it easier to get in the back, as the NAS step is a little narrow and is quite high from the ground and also not great when it's wet.

So basically, I could remove the NAS step and fit an adapter / backing plate and then a Dixon Bate type rotating pintle hitch? Are there recognised part codes for what I would need, some seem to be no longer available?
Post #1032942 26th Apr 2024 2:17pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm in the Wimborne area, at least when I am home!

With a 2004 N1 vehicle you do not need your towing equipment to be type approved, which allows a greater range of options. My preferred solution is as shown below. This consists of a receiver hitch from Safari Equip (see https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/safa...-receiver/ ) with a NATO pintle fitted to the cross-member. The receiver hitch bracket negates the need for the reinforcing plate on the cross-member and is in fact much stronger, and the spacer plate you can see in the top photo is there to allow the catch that locks the pintle or allows it to rotate can be operated.

The second photo (taken long before the others, when I still had an exceptionally rusty swing-away carrier fitted) shows a short Dixon Bate "ladder" fitted to the SE drop plate, which I use if I need a ball or ball/pin coupling at a conventional height. It fits with the pintle bolted up, although (evidently) the pintle wasn't fitted when I took this photo.

The final photo shows how I usually run if I am not towing, with a Smittybilt "Beaver Step" (see https://www.smittybilt.com/product-skus/sm...ck-27046b/ ) fitted in the receiver. Not only does this facilitate access to the back of the vehicle, it also stops you from walking into the pintle and whacking your kneecaps on it. You can tow a Penman or Sankey trailer on the pintle with the step in place. The "Beaver Step" is also designed so that you can use it to attach a rope for towing, which can be handy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1032945 26th Apr 2024 3:25pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
That's great info, thanks @ blackwolf , much appreciated. Thumbs Up
Post #1032951 26th Apr 2024 4:17pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Regarding getting the spare wheel higher so you can open and close pintle with rear door shut.

I used one of these https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=p...uct_id=352

Designed for mounting larger diameter wheel/ tyre combinations it raises the wheel by 2 inches and works fine for me with a BFG MT 255/85 r16 on the rear door. It does reduce the view through rear screen but that’s minimal already.
Post #1032965 26th Apr 2024 6:02pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
blackwolf wrote:
I'm in the Wimborne area, at least when I am home!

With a 2004 N1 vehicle you do not need your towing equipment to be type approved, which allows a greater range of options. My preferred solution is as shown below. This consists of a receiver hitch from Safari Equip (see https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/safa...-receiver/ ) with a NATO pintle fitted to the cross-member. The receiver hitch bracket negates the need for the reinforcing plate on the cross-member and is in fact much stronger, and the spacer plate you can see in the top photo is there to allow the catch that locks the pintle or allows it to rotate can be operated.

The second photo (taken long before the others, when I still had an exceptionally rusty swing-away carrier fitted) shows a short Dixon Bate "ladder" fitted to the SE drop plate, which I use if I need a ball or ball/pin coupling at a conventional height. It fits with the pintle bolted up, although (evidently) the pintle wasn't fitted when I took this photo.

The final photo shows how I usually run if I am not towing, with a Smittybilt "Beaver Step" (see https://www.smittybilt.com/product-skus/sm...ck-27046b/ ) fitted in the receiver. Not only does this facilitate access to the back of the vehicle, it also stops you from walking into the pintle and whacking your kneecaps on it. You can tow a Penman or Sankey trailer on the pintle with the step in place. The "Beaver Step" is also designed so that you can use it to attach a rope for towing, which can be handy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Lovely set up Blackwolf, and a very well look after pintle.
You need to sort those dandelions out though!
Post #1032968 26th Apr 2024 6:29pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Hydraulic coupling damper
All great info, thanks everyone 👍

Anyone seen / heard of these? (Hydraulic Coupling Damper) Google doesn’t bring up much at all. Are they desirable for a Penman or best avoided? 🤔

Click image to enlarge
Post #1033162 28th Apr 2024 4:07pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
that is not a penman hitch and is off a much older trailer.

the trailer has been changed from standard.

i would only be looking at genuine non modified ones
Post #1033179 28th Apr 2024 7:54pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

the correct hitch
Post #1033180 28th Apr 2024 8:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1