↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [For Sale] 110 2011 Camper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
[For Sale] 110 2011 Camper
This very capable 110 Land Rover was built by myself over a few years and has gone through some changes to what it is now. We have tested it over Europe and Africa to come up with a well thought out build which will allow you to travel and traverse the world comfortably.

Click image to enlarge

I'll start with the obvious changes and work through the vehicle so you can get an idea of how unique it is.

The original roof was replaced with a LR Special vehicles extended roof from a utility 110 (these were used to store high voltage poles in the vehicle)

On top of that I fitted a 1972 Dormobile roof from a Bedford CF Van. The reason for this is the original LR dormobile isn't as long as the Bedford one and this gives you a clear 6ft length in opening.

Click image to enlarge

This allows plenty of stand up room in the truck and an ample bed up top for a full-sized adult to sleep.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I had the original plastic bellows replaced with a water-resistant boat cover material (like modern tent but thicker) and had a zip put in so you can unzip the entire cover and pull it up out of the way. The roof was insulated and carpeted and lights put in for internal illumination.

Sticking with the externals of the truck, we'll start from the front and work our way around pointing out the modifications and additions. The bullbar is from a Snatch land rover and as well as being very heavy duty it serves a purpose to allow you to fit a spare wheel to it. For some time I had the spare wheel on there before the swing away rear carrier was fitted and never had any issues.

Click image to enlarge

The mounting kit will come with the truck upon sale.

The tubes running alongside the wing were made by myself and fitted to allow us to install a roof tent where the current solar panel is

Click image to enlarge

and as she is now

Click image to enlarge

We no longer use a roof tent and they are more of a decoration/protection thing now and can easily be removed. Moving down the sides of the truck I welded the original steps to the rock sliders for added protection and manoeuvrability when climbing about on the truck...they're quite handy for putting the awning away! Under the driver's side is a 20litre spare fuel cannister bolted up and out the way, it's a heavy-duty plastic slimline one which given it's low profile is perfectly hidden and protected

Click image to enlarge

Behind the rear OS wheel is a 45-litre extended fuel tank which brings the total internal fuel carrying to 125litre's. This tank is in line with the original and fills up as you fill up the main one.

Click image to enlarge

The rack on the OS of the truck is a simple aluminium roof rack fitted to allow you to strap stuff to it...you can choose what you want to strap to it! On the rear crossmember is a farm jack and a swing away wheel carrier with a piston fitted to the back door to allow opening a lot easier.

Click image to enlarge

There's a bag fitted to carry extra bits for the Bush Pig Braai which has its own little bracket fitted to the rear. There are a couple of small LED external lights via a switch on the inside and a wireless camera linked to the sat nav up front.

Moving around to the NS there is a small cubby hole which contains tent pegs, jack and a key box if you wish to leave a key. Above this is 2 drop down tables which have used as our kitchen for years!

Click image to enlarge

Above these are 2 box's which contain the sides for the 270 Speedwing awning.

Click image to enlarge

These are fitted on UNWIn tracks and can be removed

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Moving onto the awning, it is a Tuff trek Speedwing ( https://tuff-trek.com/product/tuff-trek-speedwing-awnings/) with the canvas side kit including 4 sides (1 blank, 2 with windows and 1 with a door)
These zip onto the awning once it's deployed and give you another room to the overall vehicle. Last year I left the awning out without pegging it down whilst I went diving and snapped 2 of the arms. I repaired them by sleeving the aluminium and it's worked great ever since.

You will notice the doors are not the originals and you would be correct! The front doors are from a military vehicle (aluminium tops) and the 2nd row are from a company called SP4 who claim to provide easily swappable front and 2nd row doors for your defender. This isn't, unfortunately, the case I have spent a considerable time getting these doors to fit. I did manage to get them to do what I wanted, and they add a bit of charm to the vehicle.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I swapped the doors out from the original as we were due a trip to Norkapp in Norway and needing to insulate the doors (modern doors have window mechanisms etc in them which doesn't allow insulation to be fitted). The internal door cards in these ones are made from aluminium sheet and carpeted with insulation fitted behind them. If I'm honest and given the ball ache with the doors, I wouldn't do what I did again...I'd have left the original doors in situ and worked something else out, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and if you feel you want original doors with the electric windows etc, everything is still there to allow you fit them ( once you purchase some...mine are long gone! )

Fitted internally is an ARB compressor ( https://www.arb4x4.co.uk/arb-on-board-maxi...or-kit-12v ) which has the outlet from behind the OS 2nd row door as well as to 4 points around the truck near each wheel.

Click image to enlarge

What this does, is allow you to deflate all your wheels and then re inflate all 4 at the same time. I have fitted it, so you plug a small whip line into the outlets and connect to each wheel at the 4 points, turn on the compressor and it'll pump up all the tyres.

I got the idea from 2010Blackdefender90 on this forum and he was good enough to send all the details over to what was needed.

You can find his build thread here

Sticking with the external side of things I will run through the engine and general outside stuff. The engine has a remaphttps://bellautoservices.co.uk/store/...ower-tune/ ) from Bell Auto Services who are very passionate about LR's and provide great service (which I'll get to in abit )

This tune brings the engine up to 165 BHP from the original 120 odd and you will notice this from 2.2RPM. The truck will sit at 70/80 quite happily as long as you can afford it (it's a house brick on wheels aerodynamically!) but I tend to sit at 2000RPM and that'll give me 25MPG at 60. As well as the tune, I had the increased size intercooler ( https://bellautoservices.co.uk/store/land-...ercooler/) from BAS fitted as well to allow the truck to breathe well and rerouted the air intake from just behind the front wheel to the snow cowl on the OS wing.

Click image to enlarge

Inside the engine bay I have fitted a MAN oil captcha filter which stops oil from the rocker cover being forced back into the air intake providing a cleaner intake. Also, the EGR has been blanked both physically and via the ECU. The aircon system was removed completely as the compressor was faulty and rather than a lot of unnecessary pipework I removed the whole lot. If you wish to fit an LR aircon, the original wiring loom is still there but it does boggle my mind slightly why LR fitted aircon to their defenders in the first place.

The exhaust manifold had a fault in Portugal and I performed a field repair by removing it all and using an exhaust gum to plug the area affected and that's been 2 years now and it's still working well.

Click image to enlarge

Before that in Morocco, we had an engine mount collapse (there are some real rocky roads in Morocco!) and the garage there repaired it and again, it's been going very well ever since.

The engine itself has been rebuilt using all parts from Turner Engineering and only LR parts. When it was stripped, I replaced the bottom big end bearings, oil pump, front and rear output shaft seals, Timing Belt, Water pump, Brake servo pump and all gaskets, bolts etc. This was done at approx. 165000 and it's nearly 10k miles later and all is well. I've also replaced the radiator with an OEM version.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The shock springs are original and as this is a Utility Station Wagon, they are rated to 1000kg on the rear. However, I have replaced all the shock absorbers with Old Man Emu's which provide a good ride and are well suited to the original springs. I have fitted a locking rear roll bar

Click image to enlarge

When you are on the road allows a stiffer response from the rear. You simply unlock it when offroad if you need the articulation, details can be found here:

https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=p...h=x+deflex

The wheels are tyres are Sawtooth alloys on Toyo Open Country 285/75/16's. These have had probably 3500 miles on them with plenty of tread left and have never failed me in any predicament I've been in. I'm not one for purposefully getting myself stuck anywhere as this is our home when we're on the road, but there has been one or two moments that a good vehicle and the correct attitude and tyres saw us safely home. Combined with the wheels and tyres are the brakes which have been upgraded to LOF vented and drilled discs and still running the original callipers.

There is a 180Watt solar panel on the roof and 3mm chequer plate on the bonnet and wings which allows you to stand on them without breaking anything. The UNI track allows you to fix sand ladders to them (not included in the sale unfortunately)

I have had replaced, in no particular order

Front differential (like for like)

Steering drop arm (LR )

LOF HD clutch

Steering bars (HD )

Turbo with reconditioned unit (LR )

Rear wheel bearings

Heater assembly

Discs

Shocks

Radiator

Intercooler

Gearbox rebuild and all seals replaced

( this list will get longer the more i remember! )

The interior has gone through some changes over the years to where it is now. I have built it all from 15mm lightweight plywood with a dark finish. The interior shell of the landy has been fitted with dynamite and then 10mm insulation. On top of that it has been carpeted to provide a nice warm environment and it gives us plenty of space and storage and comfortably sleeps us and our dogs. It has 2 modes as such, one of for sitting, relaxing and the other is for sleeping. You can see by the pictures how much space you have once the roof is up, but even with it down you can sleep 2 in a pinch.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have fitted Mazda RX 8 seats, the driver's is electronic in movement, the passenger standard. Both are heated via the switches on the dash (a standard feature for the XS LR's)

There is a Satnav with wireless camera for the rear and an abundance of internal lights and USB plugins for charging everything.

The stereo is a DAB Bluetooth model which wasn't cheap and i moved the aerial to the front of the wing to get a better reception, it works pretty good for DAB. There is a flat sub-woofer under the cubby box which is controlled via a dial on the dash. I removed the silly lid thing on the passenger side so there's a little more room to store things. The heater has had lots replaced and it works well keeping your left leg very warm in the colder days and the front screen is heated but takes a while to demist fully.

Under the rear seating area are the 2 auxiliary batteries which are charged via the 180 solar panel on the roof. These are getting on abit now and could do with replacing but they work for our 12v needs fine.

The solar controller is under the seat with the Fusebox for the internal lights etc and this is where the compressor sits as well. There is a Victron Energy Invertor which supplies a 240 socket and a monitor for the battery voltage but i only ever use this for the USB ports in the socket to charge stuff up.

A 5kw diesel heater is fitted in the rear cupboard with a controller and a wireless controller in the cab for on/off and temperature, this works great.

If you got this far then I'd imagine you're interested and there is still more to explain but this deals with the security side of things and I'm not going to discuss those online.

Do understand though, that this is a 13 year old vehicle which has been looked after by myself for the past 6 years or so, but it is a Land Rover and although I've pretty much replaced what needed to be done and improved in a lot of areas, it is my project which worked for me. There are areas which show some wear and tear and could do with some TLC but in all honesty, it functions very well, it provides a great base to explore the world and i shall miss it when it's gone.

Be prepared though, if you are thinking of owning this Landy, you will always get stopped, always meet new people and forever be the centre of attention.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cash price is £22000 and is fixed, however we are looking to venture more on the road rather than off road now, so a LWB VW transporter Van or LWB Ford Transit Custom Van is the area i'm looking as my next project, so i would be open to a exchange/swap with some finer details ironed out between us.

Feel free to call me on 07522552611 if you're serious or have any questions

Thanks

Paul ( Badger )

Last edited by Badger110 on 3rd May 2024 7:17am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #1031278 11th Apr 2024 5:01pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i like.

wheres Scott Rover, he has VW converted van for sale.... (i think) Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1031285 11th Apr 2024 5:47pm
Moo

Ukraine 
That's really cool. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1031294 11th Apr 2024 6:26pm
ThreePointFive

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Bonatti Grey
I've had a look around this car a few years ago, the quality of the build is one thing but the thought behind the layout and function of how it will be lived in excellent. I can't see a better way to build a 110 camper. One life - get one.
Post #1031484 14th Apr 2024 9:09am
Badger110

Cheers fella, your v8 90 is a bloody good one too!

Cheeky bump with reduction in price
Post #1033667 2nd May 2024 10:16pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Wow Badger!
What a lot of info on the 110 and a great list of all the work you’ve put into it !

I hope that someone snaps your arm off to get this - it’s a great looking wagon and I know that you’ll miss it !
We are now able to do extended trips in our 110 and are getting to enjoy the overland lifestyle much more.

good luck with the sale of this awesome wagon !
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1033706 3rd May 2024 12:15pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Having just come back from Africa and doing some of the parks and drives from Zimbabwe to vic falls, we were in Isuzu pickups.

They did very well, but Every time I saw a Landy I wished I was in mine, Love the picture near what looks like a baobab tree. Thumbs Up

Looks well kitted and for the price ready to explore the world. All done.

How do I get this past the wife it would be my 4th Landrover Smile Smile good luck with the sale
Post #1033713 3rd May 2024 12:36pm
Badger110

Thanks folks, it has been a labour of love but times move on and new projects are taking up my time.

I shall be sad to see her go but will be glad that someone else gets to enjoy her...unlike my ex, who deserves to be infested with a hundred camel fleas... Shocked Laughing Laughing
Post #1033813 4th May 2024 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1