Print this entire topic · 
Setok

Finland 
ZeDefender wrote:
BigMike wrote:
they said it would be a replacement for the defender

I think that's what sickens me most -
It's like trying to replace Arnold Schwarzenegger with... Bruno

Speaking of which, could you see Schwarzenegger drive a DC100? I think he'd do a Defender, if his H1 ran out of steam Smile

But hey, don't just look at this forum. Look at the huge amount of feedback on their Facebook posts recently. Huge amounts of negative comments.

It's not that we're not supportive of Land Rover, of course we are. We're vocal because we're passionate about the brand — that's pretty valuable for a brand to have that kind of loyalty and passion. Any school will teach you that.
Post #100638 17th Nov 2011 10:55pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I am struggling with this. Everyone seems to know why it's wrong and why Landrover are making a big error. I think instead of the constant public bashing of the concept why not give ideas. Things do need to change and I've got a right list. The defender is too costly to make and there's to much choice for the army and the commercial user. Lots of farmers and commercial users buy on price and cost of running.

Let's put all this Landrover knowledge on here to good use and design and spec a new defender!
I'll start
Auto and better build quantity
More room for driver but not a seating position like an l200
Post #100720 18th Nov 2011 2:17pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Let the girlies buy a DC100 and sort out the Defender (e.g. airbags and "Wade Aid" - joking) for the rest of us Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #100726 18th Nov 2011 2:58pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I also think that Land Rover would get a better reaction is their concept was also shown with a sack of feed, a bale of straw and a Labrador in the back. Maybe even do a Camel Trophy/G4 type mockup, show that it will be "man" enough.

I have no problem with the beech buggy thing (I won't be buying one though) and if they can use variants like this to spread design and production costs well that's to everyone's advantage.

It's the styling that has everyone hot under the collar, no one seems so bothered about the fundamental changes to the architecture of the thing (currently concept is built on a D4/RR Sport chassis), or the move from aluminium body panels etc.
Post #100761 18th Nov 2011 6:35pm
Buzz

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
I have worked in the out door industry all my life, forestry and tree surgery mainly.

Even the hardest Land Rover haters will eventually admit that if they actually have to go deep in the woods and tow only a Defender will do it. What worries me is that independent suspension and fancy panel shapes will just make it to nice for real use.

I have used L200's, Rangers and Navaras off road. Great in some areas but none do the job like a Defender. Great places to be but hopeless off road. I had a 2007 Ranger for a while, slid it into a tree stump. With the Defender I'd live with that damage and nobody would look twice.

I agree change is required, unfortunately to my mind the things that hold the Defender back are also the elements that make it great. Chassis, beam axles, cheap ally panels etc.

Exciting times ahead maybe?
Post #100770 18th Nov 2011 7:31pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Buzz wrote:
I have worked in the out door industry all my life, forestry and tree surgery mainly.

Even the hardest Land Rover haters will eventually admit that if they actually have to go deep in the woods and tow only a Defender will do it. What worries me is that independent suspension and fancy panel shapes will just make it to nice for real use.

I have used L200's, Rangers and Navaras off road. Great in some areas but none do the job like a Defender. Great places to be but hopeless off road. I had a 2007 Ranger for a while, slid it into a tree stump. With the Defender I'd live with that damage and nobody would look twice.

I agree change is required, unfortunately to my mind the things that hold the Defender back are also the elements that make it great. Chassis, beam axles, cheap ally panels etc.

Exciting times ahead maybe?

Well said. Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #100776 18th Nov 2011 7:42pm
Buzz

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Whatever they come up with will be brilliant. Just will we be able to justify using them for work!
Post #100779 18th Nov 2011 7:47pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Think beam axles work alright disco2 had them. I am also a tree surgeon and use the landy in the woods but I did the same with my disco3. In fact I did more mental off roading in the d3. I keep changing my mind about defender replacement but how can they replace a vehicle that's nearly 30. I guess build it India with cheap labour. Sad times
Post #100796 18th Nov 2011 8:30pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
dnorrishill wrote:

It's the styling that has everyone hot under the collar, no one seems so bothered about the fundamental changes to the architecture of the thing (currently concept is built on a D4/RR Sport chassis), or the move from aluminium body panels etc.

Thats right - very few to none of the complaints have been about the underlying tech, just about the way the damn thing looks, and the lack of any lwb or xlwb variants. I don't really want it to have independent suspension, but that wouldn't make me not buy a Defender. It looking like a hairdessers car would though. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100880 19th Nov 2011 10:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Setok

Finland 
dnorrishill wrote:

Indeed. I'm not even really sure if live axles are that great compared to independent suspension, or is it just a traditionalist thing. Certainly the H1 is independent and that would give any Defender a run for its money when it comes to hard offroad work (albeit perhaps so great in a tight forest). I am concerned about DIY maintainability. LR has yet to convince us the DC100 is spanner-maintainable and not full of expensive bits that break and are difficult and cost a fortune to replace.

Reviewers often comment on exposed screws in Defenders. I like that! They fit the nature of the Defender, and I'd want the DC100 to continue that tradition.

But yes, it would be great if the DC100 looked a bit more rough and tough. The design spec should be "Would the MOD use it?". That would go a long way to making the car just right.
Post #100925 19th Nov 2011 11:45am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Setok wrote:
dnorrishill wrote:

Indeed. I'm not even really sure if live axles are that great compared to independent suspension, or is it just a traditionalist thing. Certainly the H1 is independent and that would give any Defender a run for its money when it comes to hard offroad work (albeit perhaps so great in a tight forest). I am concerned about DIY maintainability. LR has yet to convince us the DC100 is spanner-maintainable and not full of expensive bits that break and are difficult and cost a fortune to replace.

Reviewers often comment on exposed screws in Defenders. I like that! They fit the nature of the Defender, and I'd want the DC100 to continue that tradition.

But yes, it would be great if the DC100 looked a bit more rough and tough. The design spec should be "Would the MOD use it?". That would go a long way to making the car just right.

there building it for the US market....period

theres 600 Million of them and 60 million in the UK

It's a dressed up or down D3, so it will have the same issues as a D3 but will have a real poverty spec for utilities etc
Post #100926 19th Nov 2011 11:48am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
T1G UP wrote:
there building it for the US market....period

theres 600 Million of them and 60 million in the UK

It's a dressed up or down D3, so it will have the same issues as a D3 but will have a real poverty spec for utilities etc

Perfectly reasonable to assume this, I suspect.
And on that - anyone know what the width of this prototype is?
One of the (many) things I like about the Defender is that it's quite narrow - British-country-lane-friendly narrow.
Post #100943 19th Nov 2011 1:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234