Home > General & Technical (L663) > Autocar Drives the DC100 Concept
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
lrmaniac wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
seriously cool looks (strangers come and talk to/envy me in car parks about it). I don't think any other car/truck would get this passionate response and in this world of continuously breeding "steroidal" plastic SUVs, it's good to have something (relatively) stable.

You are going to loose that if the new DC looks like that when it comes out ... It doesn't look cool, it's a charcterless vehicle, just another SUV on the market ... Neutral

As the replacement will be all-new, it doesn't matter what it looks like you will loose the cool-factor anyways, I see no way around it.
The reason the current car has the wave-ability, is the fact that you know the other driver is a fellow sufferer.
There will be no sacrifices to be made for driving the all-new model.
Just like the classic Mini v. the new BMW Mini, you don't have to have been a Mini enthusiast to desire one...

So if you want to drive a classic - keep the one you've got.
If you want to use a Defender for the 21st century - drive the new one.

Ideally, I'd have one of each, but I'd still prefer the new one to look more like the old one!

Another thought - if the Defender had been incrementally updated like the Porsche 911, we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.
And another parallel - imagine if the RR Classic was still in production, and the new one was only just proposed... Smile
Post #100323 16th Nov 2011 3:21pm
Setok

Finland 
Ads90 wrote:

The reason the current car has the wave-ability, is the fact that you know the other driver is a fellow sufferer.
Just like the classic Mini v. the new BMW Mini, you don't have to have been a Mini enthusiast to desire one...

But the BMW Mini actually looks quite a lot like the classic Mini (except being huge in comparison) ... ?
Post #100328 16th Nov 2011 3:28pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Setok wrote:
Ads90 wrote:

But the BMW Mini actually looks quite a lot like the classic Mini (except being huge in comparison) ... ?

Tell me about it - a "Mini" Countryman came up my ar*e (not meant as it sounds Embarassed ) the other day and I thought it was going to swallow me (also not meant... oh, I give up Rolling Eyes ) Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #100330 16th Nov 2011 3:40pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/land-ro...#continued

Read the user comments at the bottom. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100359 16th Nov 2011 5:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

22900013A wrote:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/land-rover-dc100-concept-defender-la-2011/#continued

Read the user comments at the bottom.

Looked at the photo and was just a little bit sick in my mouth Sad
I liked the "Mini" comment at the bottom... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #100397 16th Nov 2011 9:10pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
22900013A wrote:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/land-rover-dc100-concept-defender-la-2011/#continued

It's an improvement over the original DC100. 20" wheels still to big though, but some of the text has promise. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #100436 16th Nov 2011 10:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

JSG wrote:
22900013A wrote:

It's an improvement over the original DC100. 20" wheels still to big though, but some of the text has promise.

I suppose its better in the way vegimite is better than marmite... Twisted Evil 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100453 16th Nov 2011 11:30pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nah - Marmite is top stuff Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #100458 16th Nov 2011 11:42pm
ZeDefender

22900013A wrote:
JSG wrote:
22900013A wrote:

It's an improvement over the original DC100. 20" wheels still to big though, but some of the text has promise.

I suppose its better in the way vegimite is better than marmite... Twisted Evil

Aha - now your whole argument is flawed Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #100481 17th Nov 2011 8:05am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
lrmaniac wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
seriously cool looks (strangers come and talk to/envy me in car parks about it). I don't think any other car/truck would get this passionate response and in this world of continuously breeding "steroidal" plastic SUVs, it's good to have something (relatively) stable.

You are going to loose that if the new DC looks like that when it comes out ... It doesn't look cool, it's a charcterless vehicle, just another SUV on the market ... Neutral

BigMike wrote:
There is absolutely zero mileage to be gained by discussing the concept car to death. Wait until the final version is released for sale then do your whinging (or not as the case may be)

I strongly disagree with you. This IS the time to discuss it ... when the final version is released, there will be no more time to discuss it ... It's done then! Sheep

you think landrover is watching this forum, eagerly anticipating the next post lest they make a small mistake and upset the ginger beer brigade? come on. A company like landrover does not release a product without knowing full well its going to sell. there will have been focus groups, testing groups, advisory panels, millions spend on consulting. If LR price this vehicle in the right area, they're going to sell a lot of them. they said it would be a replacement for the defender, not an upgraded defender, just keep that in mind.

If you think the nay sayers here are the LR market for the new vehicle, you may as well stop moaning, because they really don't care what you think Laughing
Post #100540 17th Nov 2011 3:23pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Sadly I think Mike’s grumpy words Very Happy are completely right, but that is the cynic in me.

We all fully understand it has to make money but why can’t it be robust and make money. Toyota can do it, and I really did think for a time (with the noise coming out of LR PR) it was going to be a Toyota beater.
Post #100543 17th Nov 2011 3:31pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I think most of the displeasure is not that LR are making the vehicle, but that they are making the vehicle and calling it a Defender replacement when it isn't - i.e. cynically cashing in on the Defender name but really just making another luxury SUV.
Post #100545 17th Nov 2011 3:40pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
BigMike wrote:
lrmaniac wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:

BigMike wrote:
There is absolutely zero mileage to be gained by discussing the concept car to death. Wait until the final version is released for sale then do your whinging (or not as the case may be)

I strongly disagree with you. This IS the time to discuss it ... when the final version is released, there will be no more time to discuss it ... It's done then! Sheep

you think landrover is watching this forum, eagerly anticipating the next post lest they make a small mistake and upset the ginger beer brigade? come on. A company like landrover does not release a product without knowing full well its going to sell. there will have been focus groups, testing groups, advisory panels, millions spend on consulting. If LR price this vehicle in the right area, they're going to sell a lot of them. they said it would be a replacement for the defender, not an upgraded defender, just keep that in mind.

If you think the nay sayers here are the LR market for the new vehicle, you may as well stop moaning, because they really don't care what you think Laughing

Unike some of their main dealers who threaten members when they dare complain on here... Rolling Eyes Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #100546 17th Nov 2011 3:49pm
22900013A

twopoint6khz wrote:
I think most of the displeasure is not that LR are making the vehicle, but that they are making the vehicle and calling it a Defender replacement when it isn't - i.e. cynically cashing in on the Defender name but really just making another luxury SUV.

You hit the nail on the head there.

For Landrover to dismiss the enthusiast market is totally stupid, no matter if you want to call them ginger beer drinkers, or old-fashioned, some of them still buy Landrovers. How many do you think work in jobs where they might just get their company to buy Landrovers over another make? The enthusiast movement overall strongly dislikes the DC100 and I think has clearly explained why. For Landrover to just ignore that is bad PR for one thing, especially because those thoughts seem to be being echoed (albeit perhaps more politely) by the motoring press...it relaly is making it look like Landrover does not know what it is doing. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100550 17th Nov 2011 4:07pm
ZeDefender

BigMike wrote:
they said it would be a replacement for the defender

I think that's what sickens me most -
It's like trying to replace Arnold Schwarzenegger with... Bruno Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #100616 17th Nov 2011 9:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>