Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
mse wrote:
Setok wrote:
mse wrote:
22900013A wrote:
Setok wrote:
Take a look at that latter article, with pictures of a D90 in the same frame. Uh, there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever. D90 every single time.

My thoughts exactly.

I think it just shows the D90 as out of date and now fully passed its time, unless we are all to start driving in 1970's cars? maybe go back to the original transit van?

Are you for real? One of the vehicles in the link speaks of romance, adventure, is full of character and evolution, stories. Looks like nothing else out there.

The yellow convertible is pretentious, has less ground clearance and has less load space. Might be fun, but it's hardly a replacement for the Defender.

Yes very much - there has historically been a soft top defender - this is the modern version of the 2 seater rag top. This part of a range...just like the pick up isnt a family vehicle

More ground clearance, better departure and approach angles - equally practical interior with just the same functions with better equipment/design and usability

Carries its own character and style.

I bet and hope the concept will be like the real thing! - certainly in looks!

Good for you, I hope if you do buy one you will enjoy it. But either way, most users of this forum have serious doubts about this concept, and are highly unlikely to ever buy one.

Maybe Landrover will radically revise their concept, but I am not holding my breath for two reasons - all previous concepts (Range Stormer, LRX etc) have eventually gone into production in mildly modified form, ie, the eventual production vehicle was close to a concept, if not in detail, certainly in overall style or theme (Think how the Range Stormer became the Sport). Second reason, there has been massive negative feedback on the internet and in the motoring press, yet we see Landrover persisting with this concept, having drivable versions available in the Middle East and the USA. They are not listening to the feedback that has been offered. The only thing they seem to have changed is slightly more real-world wheels and tyres on the blue version seen. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"

Last edited by 22900013A on 15th Nov 2011 10:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #100194 15th Nov 2011 10:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

BigMike wrote:
for the MILLIONTH TIME, its a C O N C E P T car. (some of you) Get it into your thick skulls, the final vehicle will NOT be like this one. Banging Head

Times move on, if you want ginger beer and sandwiches, go and live in the 50's and watch "Heartbeat" ffs.

So you honestly think they have invested several hundred thousand pounds on this (at least) just for a laugh? Recent history shows the days of radical concepts being binned after the motorshow are long gone. Landrover are clearly ready and willing to make this vehicle, or something very close. That in itself is not a big concern, the concern is the name it will carry, and what is will supposedly be replacing. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100195 15th Nov 2011 10:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

Setok wrote:
mse wrote:
22900013A wrote:
Setok wrote:
Take a look at that latter article, with pictures of a D90 in the same frame. Uh, there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever. D90 every single time.

My thoughts exactly.

I think it just shows the D90 as out of date and now fully passed its time, unless we are all to start driving in 1970's cars? maybe go back to the original transit van?

Are you for real? One of the vehicles in the link speaks of romance, adventure, is full of character and evolution, stories. Looks like nothing else out there.

The yellow convertible is pretentious, has less ground clearance and has less load space. Might be fun, but it's hardly a replacement for the Defender.

Well said. Smile 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100197 15th Nov 2011 10:34pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
22900013A wrote:
mse wrote:
Setok wrote:
mse wrote:
22900013A wrote:
Setok wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Yes very much - there has historically been a soft top defender - this is the modern version of the 2 seater rag top. This part of a range...just like the pick up isnt a family vehicle

More ground clearance, better departure and approach angles - equally practical interior with just the same functions with better equipment/design and usability

Good for you, I hope if you do buy one you will enjoy it. But either way, most users of this forum have serious doubts about this concept, and are highly unlikely to ever buy one.

Maybe Landrover will radically revise their concept, but I am not holding my breath for two reasons - all previous concepts (Range Stormer, LRX etc) have eventually gone into production in mildly modified form, ie, the eventual production vehicle was close to a concept, if not in detail, certainly in overall style or theme (Think how the Range Stormer became the Sport). Second reason, there has been massive negative feedback on the internet and in the motoring press, yet we see Landrover persisting with this concept, having drivable versions available in the Middle East and the USA. They are not listening to the feedback that has been offered. The only thing they seem to have changed is slightly more real-world wheels and tyres on the blue version seen.

Most current Land Rover owners will...fact and new owners will...fact and businesses will...fact - funny thing about land rover owners - the world ended (twice) when they got rid of lead springs, when the 200 and 300TDi came - world ended 4 times when they introduced electronics (TD5) and when the transit, sorry puma engine was announced with even more electronics...but the simple fact is - everytime Land Rover gets it right, designs cars for the future, that appeal to the user and keep the company going.

Innovation...

And, subject to a lot of things, I will buy one - even more my wife would like one (although she does like the current one)...therefore +1 sale over normal to land rover

change is coming Mike
Post #100206 15th Nov 2011 10:57pm
22900013A

mse wrote:
22900013A wrote:
mse wrote:
Setok wrote:
mse wrote:
22900013A wrote:
Setok wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe Landrover will radically revise their concept, but I am not holding my breath for two reasons - all previous concepts (Range Stormer, LRX etc) have eventually gone into production in mildly modified form, ie, the eventual production vehicle was close to a concept, if not in detail, certainly in overall style or theme (Think how the Range Stormer became the Sport). Second reason, there has been massive negative feedback on the internet and in the motoring press, yet we see Landrover persisting with this concept, having drivable versions available in the Middle East and the USA. They are not listening to the feedback that has been offered. The only thing they seem to have changed is slightly more real-world wheels and tyres on the blue version seen.

Most current Land Rover owners will...fact and new owners will...fact and businesses will...fact - funny thing about land rover owners - the world ended (twice) when they got rid of lead springs, when the 200 and 300TDi came - world ended 4 times when they introduced electronics (TD5) and when the transit, sorry puma engine was announced with even more electronics...but the simple fact is - everytime Land Rover gets it right, designs cars for the future, that appeal to the user and keep the company going.

Innovation...

And, subject to a lot of things, I will buy one - even more my wife would like one (although she does like the current one)...therefore +1 sale over normal to land rover

change is coming

If you can point me towards a huge amount of positive comment about this vehicle (other than Jerry thingamybob blowing his own trumpet) I will believe you.
I actually remember a lot of positives being said about the TD5 and Tdci, at worst the response was mixed. Unlike many, I have not been involved with Landrovers for just 5 minutes...

I have always felt that had this been introduced as just another model in the Landrover range, there would not be so much negativity as there has been. Or can't you folks read all the negative comments? I'm not really fussed if anyone buys these things or not, what does concern me is the demise of the Defender.

If Landrover had got it right, I would want to work my arse off to afford to buy a DC100. But I don't, so somewhere they have got it wrong. And I know I am far from alone in that opinion. I could see myself in a Range Rover one day if I won the lotto, or perhaps even a Freelander 2 if we ever decided we needed something a bit more car like. I personally don't like the Disco 3 or 4 (although I think the 4 looks a lot nicer) very much, but I think the Sport looks brilliant. All this makes me feel even worse about the Dc100 as Landrover have got most of the rest of their range pretty much on the button. But I'm really not keen on a really ugly, characterless car, irrespective of whats under the skin.

Maybe all we can do here is agree to disagree, as nothing anyone can say will make me (or many others it seems) change our collective minds. We are, I am sure, all for modernisation, updated technology and so forth, but not in that particular package. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100215 15th Nov 2011 11:07pm
Setok

Finland 
mse wrote:

Innovation...

change is coming

Obviously none of your facts are substantiated, so right now they are not facts. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells on some level (though why buy it instead of a Disco, or vice versa?). But I am not at all convinced it would satisfy my desired for a Defender, so count one less buyer. It's way to early to say what the loss of the Defender will do to LR's reputation as the definitive 4x4. Certainly it wouldn't work that great for Porsche.

There are some things I don't like about the evolution of the Defender, or were a pity, but they were all Defenders, with clear evolution and that iconic look. Anyone would immediately recognise them as Defenders (actually they'd have a hard time telling them apart). Americans love them. Each one still contained simple, rugged qualities and DIY attributes. Each was easy to modify. Hell, even parts are compatible.

Innovation is great (I'm involved with a highly innovative tech startup myself), but if a product disappears that appeals to me on a very real level, or loses touch with the things that made it great, it's hardly surprising I will be disappointed, along with many others. Innovation is not something with intrinsic value. Nobody wants the Defender to stand still, but it should remain true to its roots, its purpose, its appeal. Otherwise the replacement really is not a replacement.
Post #100216 15th Nov 2011 11:14pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Setok wrote:
mse wrote:

Innovation...

change is coming

Obviously none of your facts are substantiated, so right now they are not facts.
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle
I think even in the public domain there is enough information to make an informed assessment about features and characteristics - you just need to be open minded.

The only way a new defender will appeal to the few militant LR enthusiasts would be if the 2014/16 replacement looked exactly the same as the current one. The simple fact is that land rover have publicly committed to retain all the features that make the land rover great - if you were to list them (please go on) - so all thats changing is the design and the addition of a more lifestyle based one (which even links to past models and recent special editions). Better to own the next iteration (which is incidentally Land Rovers), which focuses on the future, which moves with the times than a 20, 30, 50 or even 60 year old design (i would suggest we are really talking about the 30 year old design)

But then i guess that some have become entrenched now and become more closed.

Let me be clear, i love the old (Current) Defender - but love, desire, appreciate, respect and eagerly anticipate the new one to surpass the current in every way from style to practicality, from capability to comfort. Mike
Post #100231 16th Nov 2011 12:17am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:
BigMike wrote:
for the MILLIONTH TIME, its a C O N C E P T car. (some of you) Get it into your thick skulls, the final vehicle will NOT be like this one. Banging Head

Times move on, if you want ginger beer and sandwiches, go and live in the 50's and watch "Heartbeat" ffs.

So you honestly think they have invested several hundred thousand pounds on this (at least) just for a laugh? Recent history shows the days of radical concepts being binned after the motorshow are long gone. Landrover are clearly ready and willing to make this vehicle, or something very close. That in itself is not a big concern, the concern is the name it will carry, and what is will supposedly be replacing.

I can't see where I said they were doing anything "just for a laugh". I said the final version will not be this vehicle, and it won't be. However, if the ginger beer and sandwiches brigade won't buy the final version, landrover won't give a stuff since it won't be aimed at them anyway, and they represent a miniscule % of the target market. Times move on. Move with them or get left behind with pipe and slippers reminiscing about "the good old days" whilst the rest of us rip it up on some green lane or desert trip in an amazing, new, innovative vehicle.

There is absolutely zero mileage to be gained by discussing the concept car to death. Wait until the final version is released for sale then do your whinging (or not as the case may be)
Post #100234 16th Nov 2011 12:54am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I think so to. I love my defender but it was very expensive and for a few thousand more you get the d4 which is a miles better machine. So I've got a 200 tdi 90 (best defender) I will keep it and wait to see what I am to order in 2015.

If you read the ideas about the dc100 there good. Washable interior. Could you imagine what would happen if you jet washed inside my xs 110. I got the carpets wet once took days to dry.

Auto hell yes auto any day of the week.

Proper traction aid

Proper recovery points (where's the front recovery of current defender)

Special seat material that doesn't rip - yes please my seats are ripped.

Large rear door that you can fit stuff through

Fold flat seats to give massive load area that's brilliant for me.

Self leveling suspension great for towing my 3.5 ton ifor

I don't think any car will look as good as defender. But have jag ever done another e type.
Post #100236 16th Nov 2011 1:10am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
At the risk of being shot down in flames...

I think the DC100 looks pretty good and, actually, fairly unique. It strikes me rather as an addition to LR's modern models. However, 6 months ago I didn't buy a Ranger, Disco or Freelander because I didn't want to buy into the "SUV" look/concept. Thanks to my job, I could have bought a Volvo XC90 for the same price but neither my wife nor I wanted to go that way.
Living near Munich, where a lot of people have way too much money Shocked Ranger Sports, X5s, Cayennes, Q7s etc. are ten a penny and on the whole driven by executive's wives at 200 kmh - not really my thing (the cars... the wives are another matter Wink )

On the other hand, we did 3000 km around Italy with 6 people, a dog and a top box this Summer and the 110 was brilliant. Comfortable, nippy (considering the combined weight) and "Safari" enough that the kids (ehem... and us) felt we were on an adventure wherever we went. Fuel consumption was also comparable to a Q7...

As a "carthorse" on a farm, I leave that up to the farmers to decide, but as a family car (not a speedster) I would like to see the Defender kept for it's simple/gentle/slow practicality and seriously cool looks (strangers come and talk to/envy me in car parks about it). I don't think any other car/truck would get this passionate response and in this world of continuously breeding "steroidal" plastic SUVs, it's good to have something (relatively) stable.

Just my feelings (but maybe someone feels the same?)

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #100248 16th Nov 2011 8:49am
22900013A

BigMike wrote:
22900013A wrote:
BigMike wrote:

So you honestly think they have invested several hundred thousand pounds on this (at least) just for a laugh? Recent history shows the days of radical concepts being binned after the motorshow are long gone. Landrover are clearly ready and willing to make this vehicle, or something very close. That in itself is not a big concern, the concern is the name it will carry, and what is will supposedly be replacing.

I can't see where I said they were doing anything "just for a laugh". I said the final version will not be this vehicle, and it won't be. However, if the ginger beer and sandwiches brigade won't buy the final version, landrover won't give a stuff since it won't be aimed at them anyway, and they represent a miniscule % of the target market. Times move on. Move with them or get left behind with pipe and slippers reminiscing about "the good old days" whilst the rest of us rip it up on some green lane or desert trip in an amazing, new, innovative vehicle.

There is absolutely zero mileage to be gained by discussing the concept car to death. Wait until the final version is released for sale then do your whinging (or not as the case may be)

So where is the evidence that this is a pure concept that will never be put into production? I say again, they would not spend all that money on a vehicle they have zero intention of building. Any differences will probably be fairly minor. Landrover said it was one possible new direction, as we have not seen any other "possible new direction", and they have now built (at great expense I imagine) a few more of these things, its not difficult to see that they are serious about making this vehicle or something very similar. Why you seem to think otherwise is beyond me. I repeat - the Range Stormer ended up being built as the Range Rover Sport, the LRX became the Evoque, the DC100 will quite probably become the "new" Defender.

I'm kind of sad that some folks can't seem to get that they are in a minority by waxing lyrical about the DC100 as a Defender replacement, and the bashing the current product is getting makes me wonder why some people even own them? I have yet to see a single post saying that the Defender should not progress, certainly technically, in fact the only continuous thread is the DC100 STYLING which people seem generally opposed to. They want more cues taken from the current vehicle, to reinforce the notion that the DC100 is a continued evolution of the Defender, rather than a totally new, unconnected vehicle which happens to bear the same name. Where has the capability or practicality of the DC100 been called into question (although I do recall concerns about the ground clearence). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, some people obviously love the DC100 as it looks now, I would say a majority to do not.
Not saying anything until the final vehicle is released is not even what Landrover want their fans and customers to do, the concept was intended to provoke debate, which sadly seems to have progressed little beyond calling critics of the DC100 old-fashioned. That is nothing to do with it, it has everything to do with simply not liking the styling exercise Landrover have undertaken.

Landrovers attitude as also been irksome, they have been asked to show us different wheelbase and body options, yet none have been seen, where is a version with a roof rack, or kitted out as an ambulance? Where is the cherrypicker version? Landrover are saying this thing will do everything the current Defender will do and more, well I can buy a 130 cherrypicker, so come on Landrover, lets see a DC100 cherrypicker please. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100268 16th Nov 2011 10:40am
22900013A

RobKeay wrote:
I think so to. I love my defender but it was very expensive and for a few thousand more you get the d4 which is a miles better machine. So I've got a 200 tdi 90 (best defender) I will keep it and wait to see what I am to order in 2015.

If you read the ideas about the dc100 there good. Washable interior. Could you imagine what would happen if you jet washed inside my xs 110. I got the carpets wet once took days to dry.

Auto hell yes auto any day of the week.

Proper traction aid

Proper recovery points (where's the front recovery of current defender)

Special seat material that doesn't rip - yes please my seats are ripped.

Large rear door that you can fit stuff through

Fold flat seats to give massive load area that's brilliant for me.

Self leveling suspension great for towing my 3.5 ton ifor

I don't think any car will look as good as defender. But have jag ever done another e type.

Loads of great ideas to it, my 110 actually does have a hoseable interior, but I agree an auto box would be nice, and a bigger back door. But they didn't have to make the Dc100 quite so fugly did they? Wink 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100269 16th Nov 2011 10:41am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
RobKeay wrote:
I got the carpets wet once took days to dry.

Wouldn't any carpets take days to dry, or does LR claim the DC100 has "magic" carpets?
Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #100276 16th Nov 2011 10:53am
Setok

Finland 
22900013A wrote:

I'm kind of sad that some folks can't seem to get that they are in a minority by waxing lyrical about the DC100 as a Defender replacement, and the bashing the current product is getting makes me wonder why some people even own them? I have yet to see a single post saying that the Defender should not progress, certainly technically, in fact the only continuous thread is the DC100 STYLING which people seem generally opposed to. They want more cues taken from the current vehicle, to reinforce the notion that the DC100 is a continued evolution of the Defender, rather than a totally new, unconnected vehicle which happens to bear the same name. Where has the capability or practicality of the DC100 been called into question (although I do recall concerns about the ground clearence). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, some people obviously love the DC100 as it looks now, I would say a majority to do not.

Just to reiterate this point — I have heard from multiple people, who do not even own Land Rovers, that the DC100 "Looks a bit normal" or "Not really a Defender, is it?".

My only big concern with capability is that will it be maintainable and basic. Those are very important for me in a Defender. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I like that I can do the odd job with it, and that there is as little software in it (I'm a software engineer, I'd rather have that stuff as far away from my car as possible). I like that the Defender is simple and straightforward, and is not pretentious. Longevity should, hopefully, go hand in hand with that, but is also high up on my priorities. I'm sure Land Rover aim for it to pass any ditch a Defender would (any Disco will mostly do that even today), but I'm not so sure about these other aspects.

There is concern about load capacity and space with the DC100, but I think we're all assuming there will be a long wheelbase version. Just strange not to show that as the D110 is way more popular than the D90 globally.

I absolutely do not think the DC100 is beyond remedy. I'd like to see the above concerns addressed, and I really, really, want to see it take more of that iconic form. BMW knew the value of that (MINI), Porsche knows that, Jeep knows that. Many others are finding how important that can be for a brand and are now reintroducing reinterpretations of classics.
Post #100279 16th Nov 2011 10:59am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
ZeDefender wrote:
seriously cool looks (strangers come and talk to/envy me in car parks about it). I don't think any other car/truck would get this passionate response and in this world of continuously breeding "steroidal" plastic SUVs, it's good to have something (relatively) stable.

You are going to loose that if the new DC looks like that when it comes out ... It doesn't look cool, it's a charcterless vehicle, just another SUV on the market ... Neutral

BigMike wrote:

I strongly disagree with you. This IS the time to discuss it ... when the final version is released, there will be no more time to discuss it ... It's done then! Sheep Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #100318 16th Nov 2011 2:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>