↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Baltimore incident - impact on US deliveries
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Soup Dragon

Baltimore incident - impact on US deliveries
Firstly, my thoughts are with all those that might be impacted by today’s bridge collision.

I heard that Baltimore is the biggest US port for car shipments. I wouldn’t want to be waiting for a Defender delivery in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed that ships can be diverted quickly to another viable port.

Best wishes to our US friends from your UK buddies.
Post #1029395 26th Mar 2024 7:26pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Shocking accident. lt's claimed the container ship lost power and couldn't steer. Slightly unusual route out of port.
Minor course change shortly before the bridge strike.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1029401 26th Mar 2024 8:29pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Apparently we get a lot of our imported gas from there................so expect that to go up again.

?si=BLQSrjLxiVkWmz-2
Post #1029409 26th Mar 2024 10:04pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
being at sea myself right now, i can upload the charts if anyone is interested,

Its tampa bay all over again. luckily this time they got the traffic stopped.

Cargo ships don't have UPS to the steering, so once they lost power, they are along for the ride. they have a emergency gen which will power it but by the time someone gets it going etc its too late.

Normally we will have ~20 seconds before our em gens are online and providing load to the net.

Even my boat, 2021 build $1.3billion cruise ship only has UPS to one of our 3 steering pods and it only powers 3 out of the 4 steering motors for 60 seconds (60 seconds of moving the pod) - Well that's the requirement anyway, we've tested it for longer you just keep restarting till it fails we think we have 3-5 mins.
Post #1029506 27th Mar 2024 4:46pm
stevemfr

France 
I am originally from MD. Crossed the Key Bridge regularly - but quite a while ago. Scary.

@Likeomg that sounds really scary. Granted, large ships don't travel at really high speeds, but this accident and others (Exxon Valdez comes to mind - error, not tech failure I know, but still) show what a few minutes of traveling in the wrong direction can do... Would UPS to critical systems really add that much cost? 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1029509 27th Mar 2024 5:09pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Pretty much everything is powered on the emergency gens which are usually online in sub 20 seconds, a pair of v12’s producing 2 megawatts each (no propulsion tho)

Again my ship is setup totally different to your standard container ship, we have 2 separate engine rooms, 6 diesel generators with 2 separate switch boards + emergency switchboard

The battery supply is only to take the load while the emergency gens get up to speed

I’m a little surprised we don’t have ups on all 3 pods, if we trip the power they just lock in position so you could have two pods hard over while the other (ups pod) is trying to steer… the only option is to brake release them and let them go all floppy but who knows what rate of turn we would have in this situation…
Post #1029583 28th Mar 2024 10:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1