↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Classic Defender Sat Nav Stinger Heigh 10 options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Classic Defender Sat Nav Stinger Heigh 10 options
ok,first admission my understanding of tech is not great.

I have been looking at reviews for the mud distr Stinger Heigh 10, its looks good from an integration point of view for a puma just really ££££ . i asked on here the other day if anyone had one and no response to date so guess not many have taken the plunge circa £1k

anyway it got the grey matter pondering over the last few days.

My current thought process is to run an old TabA7 i have here to run android auto. its got a good screen and easy to use. So have setup to connect wireless to my phone and runs android fine. i have done it wirelessly so i can charge both tab and phone at the same time as believe the Android auto is quite battery heavy. if i usb connect between them (which is also setup and does work) not sure how i can charge the tablet at the same time, no wireless.

Anyway so i have a working system, what i could do with is some pointers on mounting the screen in the vehicle. 2011 Puma. would consider a hard mount non removable but thinking removable at this stage who does a decent docking system with a good dash or gearbox area connection that wont wobble its self to death? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1028759 20th Mar 2024 2:11pm
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Glad to see this topic. I was about asking if anyone here have already the Stinger Heigh 10 unit.
And specifically if someone had any experience with this unit, even in different car.
What I'm trying to find out - is it just a Chinese stuff, or is it any solid brand behind the radio unit and screen? At the end, it could be good to have decent sound and screen quality, as well as something which will not fail after 2 years (especially with that price). Also, I'd like to understand, if by blocking the ventilation channels, there is no risk of overheating screen/radio. The explanation on seller's webpage, explaining that it works well in Spain with +30C doesn't convinced me, I would rather like to hear other way around - am I not overhearing the units, while having -20 outside, and push hot air into the cabin.
My reference here is a Pioneer 2-din unit, with good quality sound and screen.

I'm not judging the price of Stinger (yet), it is high, however, when you compare it with buying the dashboard conversion kit plus 2-din radio unit, the difference is not so huge. Then you gain better screen location and easy setup (I would say less important, but still worth to notice).

Although I'm happy with my Pioneer unit, it has 2 camera inputs (4 in Stinger), also the connection to dashboard and ODB sounds quite interesting in Stinger (I'm not quite sure it can replace the ultragauge with some specific parameters do to be displayed).

Tablet option sounds interesting, I would avoid to keep it in the car permanently, as it has battery, which probably doesn't like to be frozen, overheated by sun, but also permanently connected to the power source. Not sure the benefits of having it mounted somewhere closed to gearbox. Screen has to be as high as it is possible, so you can look on it while driving (e.g. maps). I would say the 2-din solution (requires dashboard panel replacement) is the lowest practical location, potentially still a little bit too low. That's why the Stinger unit raise my attention.
Post #1029347 26th Mar 2024 1:35pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I have used a tab7 note thing for many years in our defenders and just come back from an extend trip to morocco where the tablet worked very well with an assortment of navigation apps ..
I mostly use Co-Pilot for my day to day navigation - it has the europe wide maps loaded and is very reliable.
For the off-road bits in the Sahara we used Osmand maps with the down loaded way points etc (maps down loaded for off line use )
and for 4x4 response work I use view ranger (the old non-updated system) for my OS maps ..

if you are looking to buy a tablet make sure it is one which you can insert a sim as these have the built in GPS system

hope that helps

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1029349 26th Mar 2024 1:44pm
Bish

2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Just installed a Stinger. Really impressed with it. The quality is second to none and the positioning of the screen is perfect for viewing maps etc

Yours being a 2011 it won't intergrate yet with the vehicle/engine data.....they are working on a fix.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1029378 26th Mar 2024 6:03pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Install looks good.
Stinger have now sorted OBD compatibility for all Pumas. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1029380 26th Mar 2024 6:15pm
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Looks really great.
Could you please address few questions?
1. any issues with ventilation? that included both heating/cooling, but also any side effects of blocking two main vent channels? more air from other vents?
2. ODB - can you change what value/parameter/gauge are you displaying? Or fix set? Any obvious missing data, which are typically available via ODB interface?
* not sure you have all this functionalities with your Def.
3. any big issues about sound quality, display (e.g. against sunlight), or anything you don't like.
4. any issue with quality, or mounting elements?
5. quality of camera pictures(s), and possibility to add own parking lines?

I watched few YTs, but I'm not sure how 'fair' they are, some of them purely advertising the product, or their tuning services, some of them are just happy because of mod, without any critical info. Unless, there is noting really to complain, then even better...

no rush, as you probably have to use if for a while. But I'll appreciate if you could provide some details later.
Post #1029384 26th Mar 2024 6:41pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Cheers aBish, is that a sales vehicle?

What's picture quality like?

Still thinking it's far too much £££ when tablet option could work, plan would be Android auto on it . Tablet does fit between the oval air vents, strip along top of dash would hold it reasonably well in place.

Current hurdle 8s Android auto accepting calls so a little on hold Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1029406 26th Mar 2024 9:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looks neat, considering it has HDMI it should have good picture quality.

I would wait and see if there is an eBay deal or an Easter deal might come along at a seller if anyone wanted to buy one, that way on an amount that they valued at are there could be a good saving to have on that.

Good to hear that they are sorting out or have solved the OBD2 issue.

I’m glad they went ahead with designing it, I mentioned it to them a few years ago now and they said they would be looking into it in due course back then. Very Happy

I think going over £800 is OTT though, but there is a lot there and some of that will be the OBD2 features.

Please keep us posted to those of you who have one. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1029413 26th Mar 2024 10:42pm
psglas

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
I've actually just finished the first version of an in-defender computer that adds a few screens to a double din head unit that match some of what the Stinger does and more. I started it before I knew about the Stinger then saw some of it's capabilities.

It uses the HDMI input on the double din and has a few sensors which give the following :

One screen for TPMS, intercepts and displays the RF from add on wheel sensors.
One screen has inside and outside temperatures. Outside is from an RF temperature sensor.
One screen has the pitch and roll of the vehicle
The final screen has all the OBD data, temperatures, levels and fault codes.

I just installed it on my 2012 Puma last week.

Not at home just now but will post a few photos later.
Post #1029598 28th Mar 2024 3:02pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
@psglas Sounds nice, please post a link of where you bought it? thanks --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #1029626 28th Mar 2024 4:55pm
psglas

Here are some photos of my Stinger alternative. I'm currently doing some testing to determine whether to offer it for sale or not. It has lots of off the shelf sensors/interfaces and I've built some software on a raspberry pi to integrate it all.

Version 1 has TPMS, Temperatures, Pitch/Roll and OBD info.

I'm considering adding GPS Speed with Average Speed (possibly on a HUD), Battery Health and possibly Parking Sensors.I could also add various display options.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/img]
Post #1029736 29th Mar 2024 2:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Very good. Thumbs Up

Bearing in mind also that if you’ve used HDMI, that can be converted back to lower resolution RCA video input too as well which is useful. Wink
So that makes HDMI input use, backwards compatible also.
Which also includes 1 and 2 DIN integration, with the only difference being resolution quality. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1029738 29th Mar 2024 2:47pm
psglas

Yes, it's HDMI out just now. I was planning to add a Video Out at lower resolution that could be used on a camera or video input on the heat unit. Also considering a dedicated display for those who have single DIN. It could also be displayed on a phone or tablet if you connected to a hotspot. Lots of options.
Post #1029741 29th Mar 2024 3:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1029742 29th Mar 2024 3:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1