↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > ACC - My view...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steam_simon

ACC - My view...
My MY2023 D250 110 is the first car I've had with ACC. I find it incredibly crude with the automation either accelerating or braking heavily. It's as if the programmer took the Bob Newhart Bus Driver sketch and programmed it into the ACC. To me it's un-useable. Am I doing something wrong?
Post #1027599 11th Mar 2024 1:04pm
Down & Dirty

Agreed can be sometimes a little heavy on the braking Laughing but have you set up the distance? Having increased it on mine I have found it very good Thumbs Up
Also I only tend to use on the more open roads motorways, no good in rush hour My 24 HSE X-Dynamic 90 Carpathian Grey
Post #1027605 11th Mar 2024 1:51pm
Garthlands

United Kingdom 
I would echo the comment above^^^ keep the distance setting at three bars and above and its nice and smooth. On one or two bars for the distance setting it gets a bit twitchy to say the least!! Shocked

Interesting you say its "no good in rush hour" traffic? I actually use it more for that situation than any other and find that it's absolutely brilliant in stop, start, nose to tail conditions, makes the drive a lot less stressful and the ACC even copes with the inevitable t*** that cuts in in front of you! Perhaps in future software updates it will also flash the lights and blast the horn at said t**** too!! Laughing Laughing
Post #1027612 11th Mar 2024 2:47pm
Down & Dirty

Laughing Only tried it once in rush hour traffic and must admit that was before I got it set right
So will have to give it another go Thumbs Up My 24 HSE X-Dynamic 90 Carpathian Grey
Post #1027643 11th Mar 2024 5:41pm
aajr

United States 
I use it, but I'm not a huge fan of the system. It's abrupt on the braking and the accelaration, leaves too much gap to the car in front and if yo change lanes and start coming up on cars in front, it does not do a great job of pacing itself. It just goes strong until it reaches it's distance and then brakes a bit harder than it would need to if it modulated it's speed a bit better.
Post #1027652 11th Mar 2024 6:15pm
lac

Scotland 
Banned from using it with wife in the car 😂

She asked me why I kept speeding up and slowing down as it was making her feel c”*p. Was on an A road with max distance set. Tried it on a dual carriageway and there was a definite technique to be used during lane changes. As others, it is my first car with it but find journeys are smoother without it activated. 110 D300 XD HSE, Carpathian, Tow pack. Air Susp pack, cold pack, hud,
Post #1027663 11th Mar 2024 7:32pm
WizzardPrang

England 
Set to the shortest setting I found it handles slow moving / stop-start queues quite well. Very useful on the M25. I agree it does tend to overdo the braking on normal busy M-ways. Current vehicle: 2020 Defender 110S
Gone: Defender 90 HT 200Tdi, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2

Insta: wizzardprang
Post #1027724 11th Mar 2024 10:40pm
Moo

Ukraine 
It’s awful. Almost unusable. My XC90 had it and it’s really good.

It’s just so crude on the Defender that I don’t use it. You can turn it off. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1027735 12th Mar 2024 1:43am
haymeister

Japan 
Bumper to bumper traffic it works well when you set the distance to 1 bar.
Other times, the acceleration/deceleration is quite jarring. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #1027737 12th Mar 2024 2:18am
steam_simon

I find 3 bars OK (ish) on non-busy motorways, but any traffic and then the usual happens - a car cuts in between the you and the car in front and I'm then heading towards the windscreen whilst Landy brakes heavily. And then when the distance is OK having slowed down it drops gear and accelerates away. I happen to like smooth driving (and it increases mpg - typically my driving gets 35mpg and I nearly always get at least 98% on the driving performance). Maybe I'm just too sensitive!
Post #1027768 12th Mar 2024 10:56am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Agree with the negative comments. I end up constantly making adjustments like adding or reducing the distance bars, or trying to vary the set speed to match the traffic, which is all defeating the object really. Self drive is smoother.
Post #1027799 12th Mar 2024 2:56pm
norland

Its behaviour feels quite odd at times and it seems to have gone backwards from that in my previous Discovery. It seems to pin the target speed very closely, and there is a kind of surge/retard feeling as it tries to keep the car on speed in a downhill. It is also far less smooth when stopping behind another car than the old system. There is no anticipation, just fly up behind then brake quite hard. The lack of full steering assist is also unforgivable in this price segment in 2024.
On the plus side when driving along at a bit of speed on a sweeping road, it feels quite smooth, but overall I am a little disappointed by it.
Post #1027864 13th Mar 2024 12:07am
Tobers

United Kingdom 
I agree with the harshness of it. Compared to my previous VW T-Roc R, the Defender (I have a D250) accelerates far too hard and brakes to strongly. The VW was really smooth when picking up speed and slowing down, and seemed to plan a lot further ahead.

I only use mine on quiet motorways now, which is a real shame as a well implemented ACC is a thing of beauty.
Post #1027928 13th Mar 2024 3:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1