↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 puma some days quick some days slow.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Daphne

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
2.2 puma some days quick some days slow.
Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I’m reaching out for any advice as I’m flummoxed 😂, I have a puma 2.2 it’s done 110000 miles over the years I’ve had several issues but I have an issue at the moment that I’ve run out of ideas with. When I start the engine from cold and go for a drive sometimes the engine is responsive and goes like a rocket and sometimes the engine has lag and feels like it’s holding back and I know that the EML is going to come on during this scenario, when the EML does come on it goes into limp mode I then flick the engine off and on and it’s no longer in limp mode and goes like a rocket again drives fine from then on until the next sluggish episode. I’ve changed the maf sensor map sensor, turbo, had the Dpf cleaned replaced the boost hoses etc. any ideas? I’d like to add the fault code comes up as
air flow low. But it’s got new air box and filter.
Post #1027341 8th Mar 2024 11:08pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
What is/ are the specific diagnostic trouble code(s) you are getting ? That will help with identifying the fault.

It could be several things, however given what you have already changed it could be a sticking EGR valve or a slight split in the intercooler. The DTC (s) that comes up when in limp mode will help confirm.

Ps did you also change the 90 degree elbow hose from metal pipe to inlet manifold ? that hose can hole.
Post #1027345 8th Mar 2024 11:38pm
Daphne

Hi

Thanks for your reply I changed all the hoses to silicon from BAS I also fitted the BAS intercooler. The parts were all installed by BAS 12 months ago but I’ve since replaced them with standard hoses again as the BAS ones didn’t last a year without splitting. But as you say I forgot about the small hose leading to the inlet manifold that’s still a BAS hose so if the other are anything to go by it’s probably got a hole in it.
Post #1027346 8th Mar 2024 11:45pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
That’s a first time I’ve heard of the 5 Ply BAS silicon hoses splitting ! Did you inform Pete at BAS of the issue as it must have been a faulty batch.

If you have a code reader, even a cheap Bluetooth one, read the codes and post as that will help
Post #1027348 9th Mar 2024 12:01am
Daphne

Sorry I’ll re phrase that both the long hoses rubbed and got holes in them. I think it’s because they are a soft material and the route they take when they flex they rub Pete replaced one of them but it rubbed through again.
Post #1027355 9th Mar 2024 7:17am
Daphne

The code is P0101 air flow to low. But can’t understand why one day it runs perfect and another it doesn’t until you restart the engine.
Post #1027356 9th Mar 2024 7:24am
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Have you had anyone try and check the operation of the throttle body.. I'm wondering if that is sticking and casing air flow issues.. Do you see smoke from the exhaust when it develops the fault..
Really surprised about the hoses as well..
Does your engine move excessively when running.. The long hose on the drivers side is bracketed by the alternator if I remember correctly..
Post #1027358 9th Mar 2024 8:39am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Check the maf sensor you replaced is the correct one, some vendors state the replacement as a fit for both the 2.4 and the 2.2, however they are different and it needs to be the specific one for the 2.2. Also ensure it is a quality manufacturer and not a fake.
Also check the wiring going into the maf connector, the insulation can break down and wiring fracture which can cause an intermittent fault.

In general having just a P0101 would not indicate a EGR issue as with an EGR you would get specific EGR DTC as well.

Wiring to your turbo actuator can also rub and cause intermittent issues, but then again I would have expected additional DTC’s to come up.
Post #1027375 9th Mar 2024 12:56pm
andy63

What's your thoughts on the throttle body fault I mentioned Ian? Is it feasible?
I'm thinking if it was the wrong maf sensor the fault would be there all the time..
I'm not sure what the difference you mention is but I'm fairly sure the 2.2 one outputs a digital signal to the ecu..
Some types don't but the scope traces look similar..
Post #1027376 9th Mar 2024 1:09pm
Daphne

A good shout I’m going to check the throttle bodies. I fitted a new EGR valve a genuine one fro
Land Rover I fitted a Bosch MAF sensor it came up as being for the 2.2 but I will check. I replaced the last part of the MAF loom with the part supplied from the forum shop. Not checked the actuator but as has been said why would it put the vehicle into limp mode but a flick of the ignition and it runs fine for the rest of the day.
Post #1027394 9th Mar 2024 3:31pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
andy63 wrote:
What's your thoughts on the throttle body fault I mentioned Ian? Is it feasible?
I'm thinking if it was the wrong maf sensor the fault would be there all the time..
I'm not sure what the difference you mention is but I'm fairly sure the 2.2 one outputs a digital signal to the ecu..
Some types don't but the scope traces look similar..

It could be the throttle body
As I understand it the throttle is fully open when the engine is running and shuts off immediately the engine is stopped. So if it’s not holding fully open for some reason that could restrict air flow. The cause of it not staying fully open could be a poor connection to it or a fault in the body itself. If looking to replace after testing I would get it from ford rather than LR who want a ridiculous amount for one.
Post #1027409 9th Mar 2024 6:55pm
Daphne

I will remove the throttle body in the week and have a look, another guy on the forum removed his and it was caked up with soot.
Post #1027412 9th Mar 2024 7:13pm
Daphne

Thumbs Up
Post #1027420 9th Mar 2024 7:34pm
andy63

Daphne wrote:
I will remove the throttle body in the week and have a look, another guy on the forum removed his and it was caked up with soot.

The very reason you would want to get rid of an egr system..
I've not looked at it on a defender but I cleaned the intake manifold and ports on a 2.4tdci transit.. The build up of carbon was seriously restricting air flow.. Some baked hard some like a tary residue😩.. All the result of egr
Post #1027455 10th Mar 2024 9:54am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I had similar symptoms ended up being the sensor on the exhaust. Mine would actually cut out completely.

Since changing the exhaust sensor it’s been ok.
Post #1027457 10th Mar 2024 10:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>