↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 110 XS with Aircon'Water leak' in Left Hand Front wheel well
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Albarker55

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
110 XS with Aircon'Water leak' in Left Hand Front wheel well
I am after some advice please. Now that we have had a couple of days without rain, I have noticed a wet patch under the left hand front wheel well. Further investigation revealed drips of water (presume so as there is no evidence of loss of coolant in the header tank) from the shroud at the top of the well. I finally got under the car with a torch and, following a search on this site, found 2 'ducks beak' rubber 'valves' which each seem to be dripping water. I gave them both an exercise and one (inboard one) showered me with water, the other (outboard) vented some water but not as much. It has been raining a lot lately and my pride and joy has been sat in the elements. Also, I have just had the aircon recharged ahead of a really hot spring and summer!! Would I be correct in assuming that this is indeed water (it didnt smell like coolant fluid nor was it 'oily') emanating from the heater area and that having exercised the ducks beaks my wet patch under the wheel arch will become a thin. of the past? Also, do I need to regularly drain these beaks or are they just doing their job as normal and may have been blocked up for a while and a volume of water has built up?
Sorry for the long tome and I would be grateful for some advice/reassurance
Regards
Al
Post #1026941 5th Mar 2024 4:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
They're the drains for the heater air intake and if water is coming out of them they're doing what they're supposed to. Nothing to worry about.
Post #1026949 5th Mar 2024 6:48pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I’m pretty sure you are correct and it’s water coming in from the nearside wing top heater vent and travelling down the duct work.
The rubber duck beak valves do harden over time , get gunked up, and the rubber is harder in colder temperatures. This all contributes to them not working as effectively as they should.

Obviously you can replace them for new ones, they are relatively cheap and the rubber will have better elasticity, but an alternative is to fit a snow cowl over the nearside wing top vent. You can get black plastic ones or black powder coated stainless steel ones. This will prevent water and detritus getting into the vent, however you will find you will need the heater fan on 1 to get any cold or warm airflow into the vehicle.

I have an Entreq black powder coated SS one and it has been very good for 10 years, Nakatanenga also make good powder coated SS ones. Plastic ones are widely available but I think the SS ones actually enhance the look of my 110 puma.

Here is an example https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/stainless-steel-snow-cowl/
Post #1026950 5th Mar 2024 6:53pm
Albarker55

Many thanks both for your prompt replies. I found a third beak on the air duct and exercised that though no water came out of that. I am glad my logic appears to have been sound though it always helps to have others views. I will replace the 2 beaks in the fullness of time and just keep a cautionary eye on that area for a while!
Post #1026953 5th Mar 2024 7:26pm
Albarker55

I decided to replace the duck beaks on the air inlet duct. Despite being a 2015 110XS part no JUB500160 were too big. My system needed the earlier MUC2417 valves! Nil stock at JLR Classic but I found the P14-9099 parts at
https://www.alexisfilters.co.uk/p149099.html Reasonably priced and fast shipping
Replaced all 3 today and all good
Post #1028059 14th Mar 2024 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1