↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Injector Washer.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
matchap801

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Injector Washer.
After 3 years of ownership and lots of running issues that were steadily getting worse, I decided enough was enough and it's time to fit new Injector Washers.

First, disconnect the battery. Loosen the terminals, ignition on, then off, then remove the terminals.
Prop the bonnet and start stripping down. Injector cover off. Removed the metal fuel pipes, laid them out in order. Remove the fuel pipes and leak off pipes. Clips were very fiddly.
Remove the injector clamps. Then with a lot of gentle persuasion, pop the injectors out and lay them down in order. Used a seat cutting tool to clean the seats up.
Removed the old glow plugs and fitted new.
Removed the inlet manifold and VCV.
Removed the camshaft cover. Cleaned it, fitted new seals and gasket then refitted it.
Fit the new VCV. Refit the inlet manifold with new seals.
Annealed 4 new copper washers and drop them back in and refitted the injectors.
Refitted all the fuel lines.
Making sure everything was refitted, tightened torqued and reclaimed, connect the battery, turned on the ignition and check.
All seemed OK, to try to turn over and make sure nothing unusual happening or leaks.
Went for a proper start, but no joy. I syphed some fuel from the tank and used an old syringe to refill the fuel lines. Luckily, it started within a few turns, woohoo!

Running a treat, got it to full temperature, rechecked. Put some oil flush in ran it for 10 minutes. Dried the oil, fitted a new oil, fuel and air filter and new oil.

Retested. Now running a treat. No smoke for the exhaust on start. Much quieter. No more poor idling or kangaroos as I pull away. 10 hours of challenging work across Saturday and Sunday. 2009 Defender 90 CSW 2.4 TDCI.
Ex Army Mechanic still living the dream.
Post #1025962 25th Feb 2024 8:10pm
mifa

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tonga Green
matchap801

Great write-up – this reminds me that I need to do the same procedure and add new injectors to that equation, which is why it's only in the planning mode!

There are several other treats here on priming a Puma Defender – you might need a small DIY tool in your LR unique toolbox for priming.

I made my own from bits and bobs, and it works brilliantly. It's now part of the "designated LR special tools," like a steel bar for supporting the drive flange when changing the seals and stuff like that!
Post #1025981 26th Feb 2024 7:31am
matchap801

Thanks mifa.
I do enjoy making my own tools from the bits I can. I studied the bleeding tool in advance. But funds and time restricted the options I had.
And yes I have a growing set of home built special tools, and spare parts too. Garage is getting full again...... 2009 Defender 90 CSW 2.4 TDCI.
Post #1025986 26th Feb 2024 8:49am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
Did my injector seals only a couple of weeks ago and the engine started with no priming after about 5 seconds of cranking. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #1026169 27th Feb 2024 5:57pm
matchap801

Wow, lucky. I took a lot of the pipes and HP rail off so guess that was the issue. Massive improvement once done though!! 2009 Defender 90 CSW 2.4 TDCI.
Post #1026175 27th Feb 2024 6:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1