Home > Puma (Tdci) > Steering !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alex von Staffeldt

Denmark 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Steering !
Hi All.

I have an issue with the steering in my LaRo Defender 2.4 2008. It has just under 360,000 km on the clock.
This morning when me and a friend went hunting, it was very clear that when I turned the steering wheel, there was a delay in the reaction of the wheels.
It was, you could say, almost as if it was sailing and drunk !

Does anyone have an idea what it could be, and maybe solved the problem. I think it might be the steering box that is worn.

Thanks for all replies in advance. Defender 110 Puma 2.4 tdci
Post #1024346 11th Feb 2024 4:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rescue01

I would check all the track rod ends on the steering first.Easy enough to look under as someone rocks the steering wheel and see if there’s any play in the joints.
Post #1024348 11th Feb 2024 4:59pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Well worth reading this before you touch the steering box, especially the post by oldowner.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic88856.html

Oldowner wrote:
Adjusting the steering box as told to on forums I would suggest to be the no1 cause of mechanical failure of the steering box down the line (failed worm bearing surfaces or failed lower needle bearing races). It has to be set accurately preferably with the steering box off the vehicle.

Steering UJ’s are common point for play. LR in their wisdom in 1998 prevented replacement of both of them and now you have to buy a new lower column if upper UJ has failed.

Loose drop arm often issue if box previously replaced.

TRE’s and drop arm ball joint should be obvious.
Post #1024349 11th Feb 2024 4:59pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check there isn’t anything jammed in there anywhere, probably have but you never know. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1024352 11th Feb 2024 5:15pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Check the joint of steering box to drop arm. Assume you haven’t fitted new steering wheel, or quick release boss recently
Post #1024386 11th Feb 2024 7:16pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The other failure that could cause these symptoms is the collapsible section of the column between the bulkhead and the steering box.

It should be easy to find the problem, just get someone to rock the steering wheel while you check every joint and connection in the steering system.
Post #1024394 11th Feb 2024 8:05pm
Alex von Staffeldt

Thanks for the help. Tomorrow after work i will get some help to wiggel the steering whelle, while im under the car.
Then i will get back to give all you fine helpful Gentlemen an update Thumbs Up Defender 110 Puma 2.4 tdci
Post #1024476 12th Feb 2024 2:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

Don't forget to check the bits of steering under the bonnet (between bulkhead and steering box) too, it is not all underneath the vehicle.

If the steering linkage seems OK, check the wheels don't wobble - badly worn swivels or wheel-bearings could also cause vagueness of the steering.

Let us know how you get on, it is always good to get feedback on these things.
Post #1024479 12th Feb 2024 3:07pm
Alex von Staffeldt

FIXED !
Gentlemen !

Had a look at the steering gear today.

My mate to sit and turn the wheel. So i could see where something was wrong.
Immediately I saw that the droparm was completely loose, and almost fallen off.

So now I have it strung up and it steers as it normal

In my fear, I had thought that it was the control box that needed to be changed. It took a total of half an hour.

I would like to thank you very much for your advice. Have a great day out there. Defender 110 Puma 2.4 tdci
Post #1024594 13th Feb 2024 1:17pm
blackwolf

I wondered if this might be the cause.

I wonder why it became loose, generally this is something that only tends to happen after the drop arm has been removed and replaced.

The nut which secures it has a fairly high torque setting of 176Nm and tightness should be rechecked after the vehicle has had some use. The arm fits onto tapered splines and (especially if refitting a pre-used drop arm) it is often the case that the nut just pulls the arm up against existing wear notches in the female splines. Using the vehicle can then cause the arms to work past the notches and become loose, hence the need to re-torque.

It is very rare for a drop-arm to come loose if undisturbed after a long period, so I do wonder why yours did so.
Post #1024601 13th Feb 2024 2:05pm
Alex von Staffeldt

Yes !
Hi Blackwolf.

I had the Drop arm replaced in 2016.

It has obviously loosened over 8 years.

The locking disc is obviously incapable of keeping it secured, so I have to find a solution.

I could literally screw the nut with my fingers! Defender 110 Puma 2.4 tdci
Post #1024613 13th Feb 2024 4:26pm
blackwolf

The locking disk or tab washer is not intended on its own to keep the drop arm secured, the fact that it is tightened correctly is what keeps it secure. The tab washer is the insurance.

I suspect that yours was not retightened after it was fitted and had been a little loose for eight years, and then got to the point when the nut started to back off. It highlights the importance retorquing the nut after a short time in service.

The main thing is that you detected, identified and fixed the problem very quickly and without the complications you would have had if the drop-arm had come off completely on the road (which would undoubtedly have caused what LR would probably describe as a reduction in your ability to steer). The fact that it was a very cheap fix is a rare bonus! Thumbs Up
Post #1024620 13th Feb 2024 5:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1