Home > Puma (Tdci) > Defender 2.4 TD4 don't start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
xmotor

France 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Barolo Black
Defender 2.4 TD4 don't start
Hello everybody,

I replaced the engine of the defender 2.4 TD4 with new injectors. Once everything was reassembled, I tried to start and the engine started without any problems. Since I hadn't primed the oil pump yet, I shut down the engine immediately. I removed the green 30A fuse under the passenger seats. I primed the oil pump to the starter. Once primed, I put the fuse back on and the engine never wanted to start again.
The remote control works, I have tested all the sensors but I don't have a signal at the injectors.
At nanocom, the ECU Engine Management has disappeared. I only have Instrument pack.
I removed pins 3 and 4 and joined them behind the speedometer.
Can you help me?

Olivier
X MOTOR France
Post #1023748 6th Feb 2024 10:04am
xmotor

Hi,
I am thinking about the shunt of pins 3 and 4 behind the speedometer. I removed the two pins from the connection and soldered them together. But at the connection level is what I need to connect together the slots of pins 3 and 4 so that the two pins in the dashboard are connected.
Olivier
Post #1023766 6th Feb 2024 2:06pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
No, you have done the right thing, join the wires.

Now the wire from the alarm 10AS goes direct to the engine ECU, bypassing the cluster.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1023768 6th Feb 2024 2:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
xmotor

Ok, that's already a good thing.
What is your prognosis for my non-starting failure? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post #1023789 6th Feb 2024 6:28pm
xmotor

Martin wrote:
No, you have done the right thing, join the wires.

Now the wire from the alarm 10AS goes direct to the engine ECU, bypassing the cluster.

Hi Martin,
I have never start the defender 2.4 TD4.
By joining the wires directly without going through the dashboard, does this result in a DTC 1602-31?
Have you got a good procedure for priming fuel on a defender 2.4 TD4. I think the injectors don't open. I have high pressure fuel pressure but the defender won't start (not even smoke coming out of the exhaust
Thanks for your help.
Olivier
Post #1026506 1st Mar 2024 7:13pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
There is a diesel priming tool for the 2.4 Tdci. The poor man option is to blow/pressurize the fuel tank until no bubbles come from the fuel line valve. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1026508 1st Mar 2024 7:38pm
xmotor

Yes I have the tool and I see the fuel coming up to the inlet of the pump. Then I disassemble the tool and try to boot but nothing.
I tried to open the injectors one by one to get the air out of the pipes but without success
Post #1026565 2nd Mar 2024 11:54am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Re: Defender 2.4 TD4 don't start
xmotor wrote:
Hello everybody,
The remote control works, I have tested all the sensors but I don't have a signal at the injectors.
At nanocom, the ECU Engine Management has disappeared. I only have Instrument pack.
Can you help me?

Olivier
X MOTOR France

Is the Nanocom still not seeing the engine ECU ? If so it could be an ECU issue, I.e connector, fuse, wiring ,a faulty ECU or a CAN bus issue.
Post #1026570 2nd Mar 2024 1:18pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
xmotor wrote:
Hello everybody,

I replaced the engine of the defender 2.4 TD4 with new injectors. Once everything was reassembled, I tried to start and the engine started without any problems. Since I hadn't primed the oil pump yet, I shut down the engine immediately. I removed the green 30A fuse under the passenger seats. I primed the oil pump to the starter. Once primed, I put the fuse back on and the engine never wanted to start again.
Can you help me?

Olivier
X MOTOR France

If the engine started and ran the first time it is unlikely that there is any particular fuel system problem, such as air in the system. It is more likely that something else has gone wrong whilst you primed the oil pump.

I assume the fuse you refer to is BJB Fuse 5 (in which case I am a little surprised that the engine cranked)? I presume that you cranked the engine on the starter in order to prime the oil pump?

My initial suspicion is that for some reason the ECM hasn't powered back up correctly. If the ECM has no power or is missing some of its power inputs then the Nanocom won't see it and the engine won't run. Does it actually still crank?

Another possibility, although I think it is unlikely, is that whilst cranking the engine to prime to oil pump with the ECM powered down, you have over-pressured the fuel rail and popped the relief valve. If this is the case you will have little or no fuel rail pressure and the engine probably won't start, but this on its own would not explain the unresponsive ECM. Also for this to happen the VCV would have to have been fully open when cranking to prime the oil pump, and I am not sure if 5this is possible - again it depends on what you actually disabled by removing the fuse.

I suggest your first priority is to investigate why the ECM is unresponsive and check that there is power everywhere there should be. I don't think you have a fuel problem at this time, I think you have an ECM problem.

Check BJB Fuse 5, the un-numbered fuse in Holder P110 (C0602), CJB Fuses 38 and 39 to begin with.

Assuming that the engine is cranking, then failure of either the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors will cause it to fail to fuel. It will aslo fail to fuel if it believes that there is no fuel in the tank, however none of these would cause a loss of comms between Nanocom and the ECM.
Post #1026580 2nd Mar 2024 2:34pm
xmotor

Ianh wrote:
xmotor wrote:
Hello everybody,
Can you help me?

Olivier
X MOTOR France

Is the Nanocom still not seeing the engine ECU ? If so it could be an ECU issue, I.e connector, fuse, wiring ,a faulty ECU or a CAN bus issue.

Hello
I did a reset of the vehicle with the nanocom and the engine ECU reappeared. But I still don't have the engine starting. I now think my problem is with the fuel system
Post #1026756 4th Mar 2024 9:29am
xmotor

blackwolf wrote:
xmotor wrote:
Hello everybody,

Can you help me?

Olivier
X MOTOR France

If the engine started and ran the first time it is unlikely that there is any particular fuel system problem, such as air in the system. It is more likely that something else has gone wrong whilst you primed the oil pump.

[b]I was surprised that the engine started at the first stroke of Neiman. Even though I hadn't started the fuel system. I think it started because there was fuel in the new engine.

I assume the fuse you refer to is BJB Fuse 5 (in which case I am a little surprised that the engine cranked)? I presume that you cranked the engine on the starter in order to prime the oil pump?

I tried to start the engine before removing the fuse and the engine started. After removing the fuse, I primed the oil pump to the starter and when I put the fuse back on the engine never restarted.

My initial suspicion is that for some reason the ECM hasn't powered back up correctly. If the ECM has no power or is missing some of its power inputs then the Nanocom won't see it and the engine won't run. Does it actually still crank?

The engine runs on the starter but does not start

Another possibility, although I think it is unlikely, is that whilst cranking the engine to prime to oil pump with the ECM powered down, you have over-pressured the fuel rail and popped the relief valve. If this is the case you will have little or no fuel rail pressure and the engine probably won't start, but this on its own would not explain the unresponsive ECM. Also for this to happen the VCV would have to have been fully open when cranking to prime the oil pump, and I am not sure if 5this is possible - again it depends on what you actually disabled by removing the fuse.

I replaced the VCV and have a fuel pressure indication on the nanocom. So I think the injection pump is putting pressure in the boom. If the pump is offset at the distribution level, can I not start. It's weird is that it started at the very beginning so the timing of the distribution is good or it has been shifted

I suggest your first priority is to investigate why the ECM is unresponsive and check that there is power everywhere there should be. I don't think you have a fuel problem at this time, I think you have an ECM problem.

I've checked all the sensors, replaced the crankshaft sensor and everything is powered. I don't know how to check the status of the engine ECU

Check BJB Fuse 5, the un-numbered fuse in Holder P110 (C0602), CJB Fuses 38 and 39 to begin with.

Assuming that the engine is cranking, then failure of either the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors will cause it to fail to fuel. It will aslo fail to fuel if it believes that there is no fuel in the tank, however none of these would cause a loss of comms between Nanocom and the ECM.
[/b]

Thanks a lot for your help.
Post #1026760 4th Mar 2024 9:47am
xmotor

i've got again the DTC 1602-31. Is it because i've link pins 3 and 4 behind the instrument pack?[/u]
Post #1026762 4th Mar 2024 9:49am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I know Martin has stated in another topic that when bypassing the 2.4 instrument cluster by bridging pins 3 and 4 you do get a DTC but it does not affect the starting or running of the vehicle.

See near bottom of page 7 of this topic https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47486...p;start=90. I’ve copied below and highlighted text in bold.

Martin wrote:
If the rpm needle moves during cranking it probably isn’t the crank sensor.

The "shunt" is actually a bypass of the wiring of the immobiliser comms link through the instrument pack.

Land Rover did this themselves when the 2.2 was introduced.

You need to access the instrument pack connector, remove it and make a temporary link between pins 3 and 4 with the likes of a straightened out plain metal paper clip.

If it now fires, your problem is the immobiliser link and you have two options:

Send the instrument pack for repair of the soldering of the socket to the PCB (I can do this for you through my business) - or do it yourself if capable Smile

Alternatively dismantle the connector and remove pins 3 and 4 (light green and grey wires to both) and join them permanently. Or if you like, cut the light green and grey wires where they enter the connector and join the loom sides together permanently, bypassing the cluster.

This makes the comms link between the 10AS alarm/immobiliser and the ECU a single wire without the instrument pack in the circuit (as per the 2.2).

The instrument pack will now log a fault if diagnosed as it does not see an incoming signal from the immobiliser, but this does not affect the instrument pack or vehicle operation whatsoever.

Also I feel this is NOT a security issue as the immobiliser itself is not bypassed, and this factory design of "in and out" wiring via the instrument pack only means that the engine won’t start if the instrument pack is missing.

However a missing instrument pack would be no problem for a thief as bridging 3 and 4 (on the now easily accessible connector) restores the link, which is clear from the wiring diagrams.

I fixed a 2010MY basic spec Puma with this issue last week. It would crank, and the RPM needle moved, but an signal tester showed the ECU wasn’t firing the injectors at all. Bridging 3 and 4 allowed it to start straight away Cool

One thing you can do with the Nanocom, and you need the latest software build to do it, is to resync the 10AS with the engine ECU. You may have lost the sync between the two units so worth seeing if that’s your problem.
Post #1026796 4th Mar 2024 2:51pm
xmotor

In which menu to go to synchronize the ECU and AS10. I have the latest version
Post #1026798 4th Mar 2024 3:02pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I have not had the need to use it to date , however it’s called EMS resync and I believe it is the last option on the menu once you have selected defender, Puma, defender Puma 2.4.

see the Nanocom emulator for details https://emulator.nanocom-diagnostics.com/
Post #1026804 4th Mar 2024 4:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>