↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Low power between 4th and 5th
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Looking at the wiring diagrams the fuel level sender is directly connected to the Instrument cluster (IPAC) . I therefore conclude that the IPAC informs the engine ECU of the fuel level via the CAN bus and when the ECU receives info that the fuel is very low it enforces the low fuel strategy.
Post #1023349 2nd Feb 2024 6:15pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The pick-up is always the same place so it doesn't really matter where it is! It doesn't get lower as the fuel level drops.

The non-linearity of the gauge is due to the coil winding in the sender. My original (2007) sender started very slowly then dropped like a stone, the replacement (genuine) sender I fitted when rust split the original is perfectly linear and much better, 100 miles equates to any quarter of the tank. It makes me think LR may have improved them, or else it's totally random and I was just lucky with the replacement.
Post #1023352 2nd Feb 2024 6:30pm
roche1800

The update is as follows. The fuel gauge does not work, so when it’s running out it goes into a spluttering “safe limp” mode.

Putting more fuel in fixes the problem BUT now need to find the problem with the gauge or sender unit!!
Post #1023751 6th Feb 2024 10:37am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
custom90steve wrote:
... Not only that it can then pick up the detritus from the bottom of the fuel tank ...

How? The fuel.pickup is always at the bottom of the tank so it really cannot make any difference! It's a very popular Internet myth which doesn't stand up to logical analysis. Very Happy

I am not sure if it is an internet myth, but it comes from old days that have gone by. Especially on carburated petrol engines, the carb is generally full of fuel, so the fuel pump only need to replenish what is being consumed under that specific load, generally not a lot unless you have a fuel guzzler 😂

However when there is not enough fuel, the float in the carb will get low, and the demand on the fuel pump gets automatically higher, so there is more sucking, which could lead to pickup of contaminants that were building up while flow requirements were low.

But nowadays all fuel systems have good filtration, and this should not be an issue anymore.

But on the same low fuel topic, many euro5, hence dpf equipped cars will not regenerate the dpf when low on fuel, to conserve fuel. I do not know if the 2.2 is equipped with this feature. I always run mine itill the amber light (and the chime sounds) as that gives the least trips to the fuel pump Embarassed (conservation of fuel again). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1023754 6th Feb 2024 11:44am
roche1800

The update is as follows for a fault code:

P0629 - 13 fuel pump A control

Has anyone had this or know how to rectify the issue.

Here is a photo from the garage:

Click image to enlarge
Post #1027013 6th Mar 2024 4:10pm
roche1800

The update is as follows for a fault code:

P0629 - 13 fuel pump A control

Has anyone had this or know how to rectify the issue.

Here is a photo from the garage:

Click image to enlarge
Post #1027021 6th Mar 2024 6:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
These links may be of interest:
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0629
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post716817.html
The second link may be of particular interest, as it is on here and as it’s a Defender may likely be the fix for the issue you have or at least some ideas.

Based on a quick look for you. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1027050 6th Mar 2024 10:43pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I’m pretty sure it’s either:-
1. The wiring from the tank fuel level sensor to the instrument cluster.
2. The instrument cluster connector
3. The tank sensor connector
4. The tank sensor
5. The instrument cluster.

So you need to test the wiring first with a multimeter ( 2 wires) from Instrument cluster (IPAC) to tank sensor

First test the sensor resistance from the IPAC connector, so unplug the connector and test across the two pins. See topic I’ve highlighted below as Martin provides pin details , resistance etc

If not getting correct resistance then you need to check individual wires from sensor to ipac connector.

Note you will need to drop tank to undertake wire continuity tests and sensor connector tests, and on a 90 it’s a difficult job.

If the tests prove wiring, sensor and connectors are ok then you will need to get the Instrument cluster tested.

Just found this topic on testing the sender wiring etc https://www.defender2.net/forum/post971540.html. Post from Martin states resistance for the 2.2 sender is 50 Ohms full, 1000 Ohms empty.
Post #1027053 6th Mar 2024 11:26pm
roche1800

The pump/sender had signs of swarf, replaced and codes cleared and everything is now perfect.
Post #1032911 26th Apr 2024 9:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12