Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Which amp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Poulstonb

United Kingdom 
Which amp
Hello all
I have the pioneer sph da- 360dab , great unit but needs more volume to overpower the road noise . I have sound deadened the cab and have upgraded the speakers but need more volume.
Any suggestions on an amp sub and speaker package.
Post #1019544 29th Dec 2023 4:14pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you are looking for an active Amp/Sub combo, that’s relatively easy to wire and mount I’d take a look at a Kicker Hideaway.
Its design imho fits in nice with the Defender, a WRMS true to spec rather than some of the others out there.

There are a few that spec 1200w for example but rated wrms is more like 150w. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1019565 29th Dec 2023 8:37pm
Lightwater

Australia 
Recently I re-glued my Wharfedale E50 speaker spiders, replaced the capacitors, & did internal cabinet bracing with dowels while at it with an excessive amount of 24 hour Arildite. Speakers bought new in the early 1980s. What an improvement. No one issue was a major improvement, but as an overall repair/maintenance issue fix. Well worth the effort.

You can't turn vinegar into Grange Hermitage, but with a bit of maintenance on basically quality products to start will, you can get a pretty reasonable setup.

Go for a quality subwoofer & while at it upgrade the wiring.

The best thing you can do is stuff the car full of acoustic insulation to reduce background noise levels, spoken about a number of time on your Defender forum.

Freelander acoustic insulation link: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html

25mm to 50mm minimum acoustic foam, including roof, it does make a vast improvement, throughout the vehicle to improve sound level issues is my recommendation. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1019589 30th Dec 2023 1:24am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Depends on your budget, I had a cheap alpine amp for many years and was never that impressed with it. I upgraded to an alpine pdx-v9 and it was absolutely game changing. Compact and can power a massive system all from one small box. I have mine mounted to the lower part of the bulkhead powering 4 speakers in the back (parallel mounted) 2 100w components in the dash and a 600w subwoofer.
Post #1019602 30th Dec 2023 9:08am
Poulstonb

United Kingdom 
If I just install an amp will I get better sound out of the speakers i already have .
Cant remember the brand but paid £150 a pair so not cheap ones
Post #1019613 30th Dec 2023 10:20am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Yes it’s very likely, often the aftermarket head units in built amp is advertised as having 4x50w outputs however this is a peak power not the rms power which matters. The rms power will be much lower which means at higher volumes the head unit will distort or clip the sound quite quickly. Most aftermarket speakers are rated for 50w rms power each so if you got an amp to match that with 50w rms outputs you’ll be able to increase the volume more without distortion/clipping. At lower volumes the difference will be small but when you start increasing it to be able to hear the stereo on the motorway it’ll make a difference.
Post #1019630 30th Dec 2023 1:15pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Depending on budget i'd get a Hertz Hdp5

Can power all the tweeters and a sub,

I currently have a Hertz HDP1 powering a 15" SX 380D sub and a HDP4 powering focals front and rear it's really quite impressive.

a HDP5 would probably be more than enough in a defender, when i turn up all the gain, anything more than half way on the stereo is painful.
Post #1019649 30th Dec 2023 5:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1