Print this entire topic · 
LR Nuts

JLR fights back
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68188064

Our Range Rovers are not UK's most-stolen car, says Jaguar Land Rover
Post #1023401 3rd Feb 2024 10:28am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
They also say they believe in customer care, look after our products and wheels falling off defenders are a myth and not important!
Post #1023412 3rd Feb 2024 11:56am
edo

United Kingdom 
They might not be the "most stolen" but they are very clearly the most stolen as a percentage of that make on the road....

The UK’s most stolen vehicles in 2023
1. Ford Fiesta - 5,976 stolen
2. Ford Focus - 2,120 stolen
3. VW Golf - 2,038 stolen
4. Mercedes-Benz C-Class - 1,786 stolen
5. Range Rover Sport - 1,631 stolen
6. Range Rover Evoque - 1,489 stolen

7. BMW 3 Series - 1,466 stolen
8. Vauxhall Corsa - 1,110 stolen
9. Vauxhall Astra - 1,086 stolen
10. Land Rover Discovery Sport - 954 stolen

As a percentage of the cars out there, thats a top effort from JLR.
Post #1023429 3rd Feb 2024 12:52pm
Moo

Ukraine 
It would be good to get a breakdown of which particular model years. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1023431 3rd Feb 2024 12:54pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: JLR fights back
LR Nuts wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68188064

Our Range Rovers are not UK's most-stolen car, says Jaguar Land Rover

Unfortunately until insurance provider data agrees it won't make a blind bit of difference. It is also sadly typical of JLR nowadays that the response is to dispute the evidence rather than fix the problem.
Post #1023432 3rd Feb 2024 12:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Moo wrote:
It would be good to get a breakdown of which particular model years.

I'm not sure it matters really, as long as insurers tar them all with the same brush.

The fact that the theft epidemic from keyless-entry era vehicles is making it impossible in some cases to insure a classic Defender (which hasn't become any easier to steal than it used to be when insurable) suggests that the insurance industry simply doesn't care.
Post #1023435 3rd Feb 2024 12:57pm
edo

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge
Post #1023437 3rd Feb 2024 1:12pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
It amazes me that JLR are even still in the Uk with the way things are going.

Those pre orders for the new fully electric FFRR don’t include the clients reaction to the no doubt ridiculously expensive retail price, super high depreciation, the possibility of not even being able to insure them and now three London Councils are bringing in EV parking charges that can cost £36 to park all day citing that EV’s are more polluting across their life time (yep, I know, the goal posts keep moving).

And very recently London is talking about an SUV charges or parking tax which you have to assume this means EV’s too because you can’t say that one is and isn’t an SUV if theres money to be made……..

And what happens in London will only get worse if Labour get in.

Oh yeah, and the other thing is that the safety barriers on motorways can’t withstand an EV crashing through it let alone a potential 3 tons of FFRR going through it.

It’s a shame but JLR have made their own rod for their backs. When the rich start walking they won’t have any customers left with a disposable income at present to replace them because they decided that the little guy isn't important
Post #1023447 3rd Feb 2024 3:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Just my opinion, but I think it’s more due to desirability to thrives rather than vulnerability to it.
Hence artificially high rates.

But just my humble opinion. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1023451 3rd Feb 2024 3:51pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Just shows how arrogant the company has become
Post #1023454 3rd Feb 2024 4:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Their lack of interest in previous models and maintenance is notable though.

I have not been that keen on the brand since Ford moved it onto Tata.

Too much interest in the Evoke, and the really nice D4 morphed into the D5 which I don’t like.

Considering Tata’s activity in the U.K., I can’t say it’s been in any way good. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1023456 3rd Feb 2024 4:30pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Frankly I have gone off fancy cars. Owned many Landrovers, D3, D4, RR, but I started to realize I don't care much about any electronic toys. A car just needs to drive good, be reasonably practical, safe and have AC. The rest is all just surplus you pay with no real added value.

Keyless entry, my D4 and RR had it. Totally pointless. I don't miss not having it. What is the problem with a normal key?

Don't get me wrong I like cars, I like to work on them. I recently bought a P38, great car. It just I think they are overdoing cars now. Same issue with electric cars, they can't just make a normal car electric, no it has to come with a whole heap of expensive toys.

And all those toys age rapidly, software updates 10 years from now?
Post #1023488 3rd Feb 2024 8:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Exactly, and you can and will often get software outpacing hardware of which leaves physical hardware obsolete in next to no time.
It’s one of the classic techniques of physiological sales techniques of “upgrading” which is sales for continue to pay on-going along with peer pressure attraction.

It does make me laugh when electric is pushed as an upgrade. Rolling with laughter
That’s what they said with the milk floats, decades and decades ago, and where are they now?
Not many.

This is one of the same issues, causing massive price increases upon the Agri market.
Look at the prices of Harvesters, Tractors and any non basic Agri equipment these days. (Of which there are very knowledgable members on this on here no doubt).
£1.2 million pound potato or pea harvesters just as an example.
And the intricacies of a lot of the equipment and engineering, even the manufacturers engineers and technicians, can’t keep up with because some are in different countries.
And if an equipment owner (or lease) is able to be lucky enough to fix themselves if you can call it lucky, the downtime due to parts needed to be brought in by shipping or flown in from outside of the country.
Even further delayed by customs and further delays on that schedule.
Many things can be stocked and ready to go, but is not always the case.

Then there is the phenomena of one technician / expert, that needs another experts advice on an issue that isn’t in their skill set and the saga goes on which just delays the economy all together.
Slowing everything down unnecessarily.
Especially critical, for example if there is a crop that is weather sensitive or harvest is time critical due to weather conditions or atmospheric conditions and if that is exactly best timing such as for wheat harvest as an example to bring the moisture content down then drying costs go up.

I can’t see why there is such a draw to unlocking a vehicle with an iPhone, and things like that which is going to be more vulnerable to hacks to overcome such technology.
If it is created, it gets overcome or hacked then a new generation of security layers are made.
And it wastes a significant amount of time in daily life entering passwords, usernames and login cues codes day in and day out. Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1023498 3rd Feb 2024 10:37pm
Rashers

I think that is a very fair point, TexasRover.

Car manufacturers are getting a bit like mobile phone manufacturers. They have to keep adding 'value' to their next reincarnation to get the punters to swap.

Whether or not the said punters need or even use that added value the manufacturers offer remains to be seen.

The wife's Tesla can do some amazing things, but she hardly uses any of the toys Elon provides. I mean, I think it is really impressive how the cameras picks up cones and parked cars on the infotainment screen as you drive a long, but they're not difficult to see through the windscreen, and isn't that where you should be looking?

The Tesla has also started throwing wobblies every so often where it needs what I describe as 'Control Alt Delete' to get it 'back into the room'. It's a year old and is already showing issues. Do you think in ten years time, it will work? I mean every one is worrying about battery life, but I'm not convinced the software bugs and the glitches won't finish these cars off well before any battery failures Laughing
Post #1023499 3rd Feb 2024 10:57pm
Rashers

custom90steve, I was chatting to a local Farmer last year (I borrowed one of his tractors and flail cutter to trim up the hedges around the fields). I borrowed his Case MX170. It's not new, it is a 2002 model. He likes his case tractors. He has newer tractors on the farm and the new one, another Case, looks the part and has red leather seats! But he was decrying their use of electronically operated spool valves. He much rather the feel and control of a mechanical lever. In fact, he told me that this is why he still runs two MX170's on the farm. They do exactly what he wants without too many problems. A good uncomplicated tractor.

He does like the GPS control on the John Deere Combine Thumbs Up
Post #1023501 3rd Feb 2024 11:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>