↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > A-Plan Insurance > Courtesy Cars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Courtesy Cars
I have a policy with A Plan (Howdens) underwritten by Markerstudy that includes a courtesy if I use their approved repairer. This week I have had the misfortune to claim (luckily not the Defender). The repair garage contacted me today to take the car in for assessment and repair, but advised they wouldn't have a courtesy car available for several weeks! That can't be acceptable can it? a few days, fine, but weeks with no means to get to work. I don't have another car I can use as Defender is on a non-commuting policy. They said I could delay the repair pending a courtesy car coming available, but as the vehicle isn't weather proof following the bump, I can't really delay.

I phoned Markerstudy, who just said hard luck, courtesy cars are subject to availability. I also phoned Howdens, who basically said the same thing plus mumbling stuff about it being Brexit's fault. I don't think there's much I can do, but it's frustrating when you think you have the cover you need and it seems to be some way short. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1017603 6th Dec 2023 11:27am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Hence I don't bother with the courtesy car anymore but I'm lucky to have vehicles to fall back upon. Trying to explain this to the up selling broker is somewhat difficult.
Post #1017608 6th Dec 2023 12:09pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I wonder how the insurance company would feel if you paid your monthly DD 'subject to availability of funds'

'You can delay your request for payment for a few weeks and see if I've got some then.......'

That can't be far off misrepresentation offering something as a benefit and then refusing to give it when needed. Lots of hire companies about that would hire the repairer a car surely.

Keith
Post #1017615 6th Dec 2023 1:51pm
Bluest

The small print does say "subject to availability " which I didn't pick up on at the time.of buying, but to my naive mind that might mean waiting a few days, not weeks. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1017616 6th Dec 2023 1:55pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I’m assuming your excess is higher if you don’t use their approved repairer. If not then why not use another reputable repairer who can supply a courtesy car.

Alternatively check with your insurance to see the additional cost of adding driving to work or business use to your defender policy. If it’s the same insurance company used for your other damaged vehicle you could ask them to charge you nothing for the policy change on your defender, or discount it as a good Will gesture as there is no courtesy car available.
Post #1017626 6th Dec 2023 3:05pm
Bluest

Options are a bit limited as the car has already gone for repair now. I wouldn’t want to park the Defender at work even if it was insured. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1017645 6th Dec 2023 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1