↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender Puma Clutch repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Petes landy

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Baltic Blue
Defender Puma Clutch repair
Just changes the clutch on my Landy after the rattles became too bad. Mine is a 2007 original 2.4 puma with dreaded ford engine. Springs on the clutch plate were very lose once I removed it so averted a failure.
if you are going to attemp it here are some tips to help;
(1) you cant get to the bell housing bolts without dropping the back of the gearbox/ transfer case and tilting it down.
(2) You need to remove the Cat from the engine and in my case all the screws had to be cut off the heat shield and the support bracket.
(3) when I got the engine tilted down I found the clutch hydraulic line corroded through where it comes out of the gearbox. It is a steel line into a hose and then back to steel.
(4) Assume therefore you will need to buy all the parts in the clutch and the release bearing and hydraulics.
(5)With the transfer case off and the gearbox lowered down you can reach the bell houseing bolts with a double extension on the socket but there are two bolts in from the engine side behind the cat
(5) removing the clutch is straight forward
(6) changing the spigott bearing in the end of the crankshaft is another matter! It is a blind roller bearing in a blind hole and the collet puller they recommend is just not strong enough to pull it out. I had to cut out the bearing inner , punch through the end of the bearing case and insert a long bolt with a head big enough to go through the hole and then grip on the bearing case inner edge.
pic attached. Took me three days to get it out.
(7) luckily the flywheel on the defenders was changed to a solid mass unit instead of the transit double mass unit with springs which fail. I removed the flywheel on mine to get access to the spiggot bearing but the bolts are really tight and needed a windy gun to get out.
(Cool Bleed the clutch before you push the whole lot back up and refir the gearbox mounts.

hope this helps.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1017371 4th Dec 2023 12:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1