↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Life after a Defender - What would you choose?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Shafski

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Sorry guys.. but why? Has this product not been tried and tested more than other vehicle - like ever?

Ok.. so Iโ€™m a newbie, just 7 months into Ownership.. BUT - I have used her.. sheโ€™s been off road, sheโ€™s done a Marathon 20 hour return trip to Edinburgh and back over a weekend.. yes sheโ€™s been upgraded, but was defo more comfortable and enjoyable to drive over than that of my old 2017 530! Admittedly the fuel consumption was a little eye watering.. but hey.. how can you put a price on happiness?

So I guess.. my tuppence says get another.. or.. maybe a Suzuki SJ 410 ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธif you can find one.. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Obviously a motorbike, anything but Chinese.. any era, any style.. just not Chinese.. oh.. and an old Defender (1948 - 2016).. tells a story thatโ€ฆ ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Rolling with laughter Shafski

2015 110 Montalcino Red Utility โ€œHarrietโ€
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic88791.html
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post1025843.html#1025843
Post #1013672 2nd Nov 2023 6:17pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Sorry, but the world has moved on from the old Defender. It's noisy, uncomfortable and not great in a crash.

I know people love the nostalgia and it does a job, but then there are so many other vehicles out there that are as capable but more comfortable and reliable.

Now ducking for cover. Laughing Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1013690 2nd Nov 2023 7:55pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I totally agree, they're terrible and your right, times have moved on and there are lots of much better alternatives out there.

BUT...

Like most people ( probably ) who own what I like to call the Real Defender, I just love the character, the style, the history, the scope for having something unique, the idea that I could just travel somewhere, anywhere, near or far.

Most of all I love the random meetings to be had with complete strangers - because we share something in common, the questions, the backward glances, the stares, the what's under the bonnet questions, the stories shared and the feeling that if it all goes pear shaped, someone will help.

And that is fantastic!

I've got access to much better cars, newer, faster, more comfortable, more prestigious, but also so, so boring.

I much prefer to take my old Land Rover, I'll just make sure I leave a little earlier, so that I've got time for a chat along the way.
Post #1013697 2nd Nov 2023 9:16pm
Cra1gSG

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Jerry wrote:
Iโ€™d like a Toyota Land Cruiser 300 series
Or a Toyota 79 series
Or ford bronco
โ€ฆBut none of these coming to the uk
G wagon definitely but way too expensive
I like the wranglers when they are lifted with larger tyres but not stock
So Iโ€™ll stick with the classic defender (I like the new defender in 90 format but would be concerned over long term >5 yr reliability on electronics).

I'm with you there Jerry! Thumbs Up โ–€โ–„โ–€โ–„โ–€โ–„ "๐‘ญ๐’๐’‚๐’• ๐’•๐’ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’Ž๐’‚๐’•, ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’‘๐’‚๐’“๐’•๐’š ๐’‰๐’‚๐’•!" โ–„โ–€โ–„โ–€โ–„โ–€ ๐Ÿค 
Post #1013698 2nd Nov 2023 9:25pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
"l totally agree, they're terrible and your right, times have moved on and there are lots of much better alternatives out there"

They're actually not THAT terrible, my 2005 110 wasn't bad at all, it had a few modifications but not much, some soundproofing, later springs and dampers, cruise control, a better stereo, heated screen.

On a longer journey it was okay, so long as you kept to 60-65mph. ln day to day driving it was fine, l spent all day every day in it and did 90,000 miles in 8 years.
Aircon would have been a bonus to stop the windows steaming up in cold weather but that's available in the XS version and can be retrofitted.
Post #1013743 3rd Nov 2023 12:46am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Moo wrote:
Sorry, but the world has moved on from the old Defender. It's noisy, uncomfortable and not great in a crash.

I know people love the nostalgia and it does a job, but then there are so many other vehicles out there that are as capable but more comfortable and reliable.

Now ducking for cover. Laughing

I reached a point in my life where I can afford pretty much any car I desire, but find pretty much any modern car too boring to own. Doing a better job getting me to places just ain't that important to me any more. My wife has the nice car, I have a clapped out Disco 4 which does all of that and more. My Defender on the other hand is something to keep me busy and entertained. Totally different use. And I enjoy driving it as it is so different. The world has become a bit too predictable and easy I think.
Post #1013746 3rd Nov 2023 5:13am
XplusYplusZ

Telemarkskier wrote:
Only real gripes are the door rubber creaks and the cost of the extended warranty. I suspect the small BEV Defender will have a starting price tag North of ยฃ60,000

How much is the warranty extension? Can you keep it going for multiple years?
Post #1013779 3rd Nov 2023 2:31pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
While I don't ever plan on getting rid of my Defender, I'll probably replace it with an Audi S4, RS3, or an off-lease Panamera for daily use in a few years and keep the 110 as a winter/adventure vehicle. ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ƒ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ ๐’ ๐๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ ๐๐จ๐ซ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž ๐Œ๐š๐œ๐š๐ง ๐’ (Dolomite Silver over Black/Bordeaux Red)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ• ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฌ๐œ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐‹๐ฎ๐ฑ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐’๐ข๐Ÿ” (Aintree Green over Vintage Tan/Ebony) - Gone
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐‹๐‘๐Ÿ’ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐Ÿ“.๐ŸŽ (Ipanema Sand over Almond/Arabica) - Gone
Post #1017046 1st Dec 2023 4:42pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Unless our choice is taken away from usโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

?si=aWrmDj-L5sBCfUei
Post #1017050 1st Dec 2023 5:41pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Haha the conspiracy theorist are running amoc.

At my company they use tracking software for company drivers. Most people are busy scamming the system. I think in the end all these systems are not really that clever as there are inevitably commercial restrictions, cost benefit etc. AND people will always be undermining it, since the benefit are never solely to the end user.

For sure there are people and cultures that are more brainwashed in following the leader, but not so in the west and we don't change our culture that quickly.
Post #1017060 1st Dec 2023 7:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123