↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Single pedal driving - petrol electric hybrid - mad?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Single pedal driving - petrol electric hybrid - mad?
So whilst my defender is getting some cosmetic repairs done I have been given a 2023 Nissan Xtrail petrol hybrid.

It is essentially like an automatic until you press a switch and then it has an e-pedal. Never experienced such a thing, basically the car only goes with the pedal down, so to slow or stop lift off the pedal.

I could not get my head round it at all. I am sure in an emergency I would have stamped on the pedal and accelerated into trouble.

I switched it off and went back to 'auto'.

Is this the future with electric cars, if it is I am not sure I am ready........ Whistle 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #1012150 22nd Oct 2023 9:06pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I think that the Ford Bronco has that feature but for off road use only.

What you described sounds awful and yes for all of us that react instinctively in the moment it could lead to a nasty accident.

The only saving grace now is that insurance companies are 'working' to ensure that no one will buy anything with a large lithium battery with the premiums they are charging.
Post #1012158 22nd Oct 2023 9:44pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
That system sounds very wrong,

in an emergency braking situation you tend to instinctively brace yourself for deceleration, which includes bracing your upper body with your hands and arms by gripping the steering wheel and your lower body with your legs and feet against a solid object, which in the case of a manual defender is one foot depressing the clutch pedal to the floor and the other depressing the brake pedal against hard resistance , this downward pressure of the feet is then added to by hard deceleration.

Lifting your foot off the pedal is not only counter intuitive but also completely unnatural and working against the physics of deceleration which would naturally have you applying pressure to the pedal and thus with this system reducing braking.

Also in normal driving, if your foot should slip off the pedal, would it slam on the brakes as if it were in an emergency braking situation... that would be a real danger as well.
Post #1012159 22nd Oct 2023 9:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
markb110 wrote:
...The only saving grace now is that insurance companies are 'working' to ensure that no one will buy anything with a large lithium battery with the premiums they are charging.

I think the insurance companies are currently trying to stop us driving anything with the premiums they are charging.
Post #1012164 22nd Oct 2023 10:38pm
blackwolf

Re: Single pedal driving - petrol electric hybrid - mad?
seriesonenut wrote:
... the car only goes with the pedal down, so to slow or stop lift off the pedal...

This is a common system already on many electric vehicles such as mules, caddy carts, and possibly milk floats, so perhaps not surprising. Certainly alien to most car drivers though.

Mind you it takes a lot of concentration now driving a prewar car of quality with a central accelerator and the footbrake on the right (the standard arrangement of the period)!
Post #1012165 22nd Oct 2023 10:43pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Ianh wrote:
That system sounds very wrong,

Indeed, the car felt 'heavy' and you had to think in reverse! It seemed to charge up the battery quicker than when in auto (no coasting) but not deceleration. What is the norm in an electric car, two pedals as 'normal'?

Hope to be back in the defender soon , my brain and feet seem better connected there...... 2010 XS USW
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #1012166 22nd Oct 2023 10:45pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Surely in an emergency you would instinctively reach for the brakes. I know there has been people commenting that the brake light don't light when you slow down this way, but some manufacturers have already addressed this (just the law has not caught up with the times yet).
Post #1012175 23rd Oct 2023 6:20am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
The Nissan is clever for sure, if you do lift off sharply it does put the brake lights on. How do I know? Well it has a rear view graphic of the car and every time you (or the car) brakes the lights come up on the rear of the graphic.

It has loads of tech (and anything more than electric windows in a defender impresses me) including a camera system like the new Defender which gives an aerial view of the car when reversing. 2010 XS USW
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #1012186 23rd Oct 2023 8:26am
blackwolf

Where do learners stand in all this? If you pass your driving test on a full electric vehicle (if indeed you are allowed to) what can you then drive? Can you drive and internal combustion car but only auto?

Anyone know?

It seems that the licence categories are becoming increasingly anachronistic.
Post #1012189 23rd Oct 2023 8:35am
RDR

United Kingdom 
If you pass your test in an EV its classed as Auto so you get an AUTO licence.

One pedal drivings been around for some time to a degree, our first BEV a BMW I3 back in 2014 had a B mode which allowed you to drive almost entirely with one pedal. The brake pedal is still there if you need it, it will work.

I have a Cupra Born for a Commute car at the moment its got a B mode too which allows almost entirely one foot driving, it also holds you back from getting close to other cars. I turn off some of the assistance features and in the main put it in D mode to Drive as per a normal auto car. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1012191 23rd Oct 2023 9:04am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
seriesonenut wrote:

I could not get my head round it at all. I am sure in an emergency I would have stamped on the pedal and accelerated into trouble.

But it still has a brake pedal though? JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #1012242 23rd Oct 2023 1:32pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That's exactly how the Tesla works (well at least the Model 3).

It takes a bit of getting used to, there is a tendency to kangaroo a bit as you get to a roundabout / junction, but once you have mastered the skill, I find it a pleasant way to drive.

It has a brake pedal, you just rarely use it. And I am told it operates the brake lights as well (which is something that worried me when I first encountered it).

Just like a dodgem car at the fairground
Post #1012244 23rd Oct 2023 1:41pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Brake lights were a concern for me too but after researching its seems they use a decelerometer to apply the brakes at a certain rate of deceleration to avoid flashing the brake lights too much which can be off putting to other drivers. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1012246 23rd Oct 2023 1:45pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I guess another question would be as soon as driving instructors are put into a position where their leased car needs replacing and they have to go fully electric; for those passing their tests, only a few parents will buy them an electric car (and insure it).

Which in turn means they wont be able to drive a affordable manual without forking out for another test if indeed they can find an instructor / tester with a manual in the future so what will then happen to the second hand market and our Classic Defenders / Series when its time to say goodbye and put it up for sale.........................
Post #1012266 23rd Oct 2023 3:55pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
seriesonenut wrote:
So whilst my defender is getting some cosmetic repairs done I have been given a 2023 Nissan Xtrail petrol hybrid.

It is essentially like an automatic until you press a switch and then it has an e-pedal. Never experienced such a thing, basically the car only goes with the pedal down, so to slow or stop lift off the pedal.

I switched it off and went back to 'auto'.

Is this the future with electric cars, if it is I am not sure I am ready........ Whistle

Surely it still had 2 pedals? If in an emergency you'd stamp on the accelerator pedal... well that is quite worrying for other road users.

1 pedal driving is easy, it is like having enhanced engine braking. i.e. the car wants to slow and stop unless you are telling it otherwise.
Post #1012280 23rd Oct 2023 4:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>