Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Suspension change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Evil Elsie

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alpine White
Suspension change
Hello,
This post is to hopefully prevent someone being in the same situation that I was in when I recently changed my Shocks and Springs.

I'd read several posts on this wonderful forum before we (my mate Gaz shared the pain with me) started. The general consensus was ' get some new Turret Rings' so I did.
I thought ' I'll make a start before Gaz gets here and do the rears as they look easy'.
Started with the OSR and managed to get the bottom shock nut off without resorting to a grinder. Unfortunately the shock was seized in the chassis top mount. I tried rotating it, wedges, pry bar and finally a 3 legged puller. Didn't want to try heat as that would Censored the bush on the top shock and put me past the point of no return.
No movement - Not a chance so day cancelled and upper chassis mounts ordered.

The following weekend, feeling smug and prepared, we made a start.
For reasons known only to the back of my brain we decided to start with the fronts and get the bad ones out of the way first. I had to put a cutting disk through the bottom of the shock mount so we were in up to the hilt - no turning back....
Turret ring nuts all looked in good condition but studs snapped off so easily. As the wisdom states - Do Not attempt the fronts without new Turret Rings.
Turret, Shock and Spring removed.
Now here, finally, is the reason for my post - wire brushed the Spring Seat, thought 'it needs more than that's so started chipping away the rust and what started out about 5mm thick ended up about 1mm thick. It was just laminated layers of rust....
Weighed up the pros and cons - decided to fit new Springs into rotten seats to all four corners and order new seats. The rear spring seats were worse than fronts - they were actually holed.
New seats arrived and had to remove suspension from all four corners again to fit new seats. At least it came apart easily as only been fitted for a few days and Copper Greased up.

All of that was a very long winded way of advising anyone about to change their suspension to check their Spring Seats before they start. Give them a good pick and a poke - mine looked like there was plenty of meat on them but it was just laminated rust. It'll save you doing a crappy job twice...👍👍 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1010380 7th Oct 2023 11:05am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
And buy galv spring seats to save future pain.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1010406 7th Oct 2023 3:57pm
nicholas2012

Scotland 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
I just bought 4 new galvinsed spring seats for my 90 the front ones I removed didn't have a spring retainer things which my new kit has which I don't think will be needed guess some older vehicles had them?
Post #1010432 7th Oct 2023 7:17pm
nicholas2012

Scotland 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue

Click image to enlarge
Post #1010434 7th Oct 2023 7:20pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Spring retainers, normally just at the back, front ones are the curved ones, more for longer travel suspension.
Post #1010440 7th Oct 2023 8:03pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Re: Suspension change
Evil Elsie wrote:
Hello,
This post is to hopefully prevent someone being in the same situation that I was in when I recently changed my Shocks and Springs.

I'd read several posts on this wonderful forum before we (my mate Gaz shared the pain with me) started. The general consensus was ' get some new Turret Rings' so I did.
I thought ' I'll make a start before Gaz gets here and do the rears as they look easy'.
Started with the OSR and managed to get the bottom shock nut off without resorting to a grinder. Unfortunately the shock was seized in the chassis top mount. I tried rotating it, wedges, pry bar and finally a 3 legged puller. Didn't want to try heat as that would Censored the bush on the top shock and put me past the point of no return.
No movement - Not a chance so day cancelled and upper chassis mounts ordered.

The following weekend, feeling smug and prepared, we made a start.
For reasons known only to the back of my brain we decided to start with the fronts and get the bad ones out of the way first. I had to put a cutting disk through the bottom of the shock mount so we were in up to the hilt - no turning back....
Turret ring nuts all looked in good condition but studs snapped off so easily. As the wisdom states - Do Not attempt the fronts without new Turret Rings.
Turret, Shock and Spring removed.
Now here, finally, is the reason for my post - wire brushed the Spring Seat, thought 'it needs more than that's so started chipping away the rust and what started out about 5mm thick ended up about 1mm thick. It was just laminated layers of rust....
Weighed up the pros and cons - decided to fit new Springs into rotten seats to all four corners and order new seats. The rear spring seats were worse than fronts - they were actually holed.
New seats arrived and had to remove suspension from all four corners again to fit new seats. At least it came apart easily as only been fitted for a few days and Copper Greased up.

All of that was a very long winded way of advising anyone about to change their suspension to check their Spring Seats before they start. Give them a good pick and a poke - mine looked like there was plenty of meat on them but it was just laminated rust. It'll save you doing a crappy job twice...👍👍

I decided to Lanoguard my defender. Before I did this I decided to give everything a good clean, including the axles. When poking around in all the nooks and crevices I managed to flick off the bump stop plate and under it was a deep rust scab. I inspected all the other bits and was disappointed with the state of some of the brackets. I costed the parts and decided an axle case would be a better option. I managed to get an old disco one for £80, and with a bit of electrolysis and painting it was good to go.

I changed the case and I was very happy I did. The old one was worse than I thought so it was a good call.
Post #1010444 7th Oct 2023 9:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1