↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Key Fob Not Working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ODPA

United States 
Key Fob Not Working
Sorry if this is already addressed in other places. This morning I went to get in my 110 and the fob did nothing. Would not unlock the doors with fob buttons or door button. I opened the doors via the app but I could not start the engine without placing the fob under the steering column. Replaced the fob battery just incase it was low and no change. Anyone had similar? Solutions?

How do you reprogram key to the car? The remove battery and drain power by holding lock and unlock buttons together then replace battery. Push lock four times then unlock? Does that still apply to the new defenders?
Post #1008712 24th Sep 2023 7:02pm
LR Nuts

did you try your 'second' key Rolling Eyes
Post #1008713 24th Sep 2023 7:24pm
ODPA

United States 
Haha not yet. My wife is gone and has it but I will be trying it soon.
Post #1008715 24th Sep 2023 7:35pm
ODPA

United States 
Second remote has been tried and no joy. It does not work either. It is like the car does not recognize either remote all the sudden. I can start the car and drive it but I have to put the remote under the steering column to do so.

Last edited by ODPA on 24th Sep 2023 11:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1008739 24th Sep 2023 10:05pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Vehicle battery fully charged?

Is there a high power transmission mast nearby?
Post #1008740 24th Sep 2023 10:15pm
ODPA

United States 
Vehicle battery is just fine. No issue or warning there. No high power transmission nearby.
Post #1008742 24th Sep 2023 10:22pm
Moo

Ukraine 
One of my keys dis this. I just put it in the car and started the car with the other key and it came back to life. No issues since. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1008746 24th Sep 2023 10:53pm
ODPA

United States 
Yes I was hoping that would do it too but both keys seem to be dead. Neither will do anything and both require being placed under steering column to start the engine. This isn’t the normal key deactivation that the other key resets the issue. I have had that when we accidentally locked a fob in the car.
Post #1008747 24th Sep 2023 11:09pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Ah. Sad Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1008748 24th Sep 2023 11:13pm
ODPA

United States 
Read and cleared faults. This one returned. Don’t think it would cause this issue but figured I would share since it is an active fault.

B1041-54 (2F) Levelling Control - missing calibration.

I have tried a PIVI reboot a couple times also but nothing seems to change it. Can unlock vehicle with InControl application with no alarm. Rear door won’t open unless unlocked also as the vehicle is not recognizing either fob. Just more info hoping to find a possible solution. Guess if not I will be calling the dealer in the morning.
Post #1008754 25th Sep 2023 2:06am
lightning

United Kingdom 
This is the kind of thing that's going to be a stinker once the vehicle is out of warranty. How much for the dealer to even look at it, £200?

l guess it's the same with all new cars. Even the lneos Grenadier has over 40 microprocessors.
Post #1008774 25th Sep 2023 10:01am
ODPA

United States 
After a bunch of searching around on the web I found someone reporting the same issue. The fact that both key fobs stopped working at the same time but could still be used in the emergency way by placing them under the steering column suggested there was an issue with the keyless vehicle module KVM. The info I found made it clear that it most likely was either a short in the wiring for the KVM or a fuse. Either way that is why there is the back up starting system so the vehicle would not be unable to be started. So thank you JLR for having the backup system.

With this info in hand I went to the manual and looked at the info on the three fuse boxes and found there are two fuses in the right rear fuse panel for the KVM. One 20 amp and one 5 amp. The 20 looked fine. The 5 looked fine too however maybe slightly out of shape? Honestly I thought it looked ok and did not have an obvious gap like most fuses do when they are blown. I changed the 5 amp anyway as it did look just a little out of normal as I said and guess what. It is fixed. Not sure why the fuse went but it did now just going I don’t continue to have issues. Maybe this thread will help someone else down the road. Thank you to everyone giving suggestions as well.
Post #1008810 25th Sep 2023 2:23pm
LR Nuts

Post #1008814 25th Sep 2023 3:31pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Good work! Glad you traced the fault and fixed it!
Post #1008818 25th Sep 2023 3:56pm
pacatx

United States 
ODPA wrote:
After a bunch of searching around on the web I found someone reporting the same issue. The fact that both key fobs stopped working at the same time but could still be used in the emergency way by placing them under the steering column suggested there was an issue with the keyless vehicle module KVM. The info I found made it clear that it most likely was either a short in the wiring for the KVM or a fuse. Either way that is why there is the back up starting system so the vehicle would not be unable to be started. So thank you JLR for having the backup system.

With this info in hand I went to the manual and looked at the info on the three fuse boxes and found there are two fuses in the right rear fuse panel for the KVM. One 20 amp and one 5 amp. The 20 looked fine. The 5 looked fine too however maybe slightly out of shape? Honestly I thought it looked ok and did not have an obvious gap like most fuses do when they are blown. I changed the 5 amp anyway as it did look just a little out of normal as I said and guess what. It is fixed. Not sure why the fuse went but it did now just going I don’t continue to have issues. Maybe this thread will help someone else down the road. Thank you to everyone giving suggestions as well.

Well done, and thanks for sharing this, glad you got it going again
Post #1008901 26th Sep 2023 6:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>