↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > GAP lnsurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
GAP lnsurance
Do people think it's worth taking out GAP insurance on a new Defender? Technically if it was a total loss, the insurance should pay the market value, but l've heard horror stories with the old Defender where people are getting way less than the replacement cost because "that's what the guide book says"

Even the price guide that's in the back of one of the Land Rover magazines is way out, claiming for instance that you can get a pristine late TD5 Station Wagon for £11,000.

The policy l have found is £300 for 4 years and covers the difference between what the insurance pays out, and what l paid for the Defender new.

To me it seems worthwhile but the Money Saving Expert site says it "ls not necessary unless you owe more on finance than the vehicle is worth"
Post #1006274 2nd Sep 2023 8:30pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Gap insurance is to cover the difference between a payout and outstanding finance.

If you don’t have finance but are concerned about a payout being less than the real market value of the vehicle then you need agreed value insurance - which is a different thing.
Post #1006277 2nd Sep 2023 9:10pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Okay l didn't realise that.

The insurance broker told me it would cover the difference between the insurance payout and the new cost.

So the way l interpreted that is, the vehicle costs £55,000 new and let's say is stolen at 2 1/2 years old. The insurance pay out £40,000
Then the GAP policy pays a further £15,000

So l can go out and buy a brand new replacement vehicle.

Is that not how it works? l need to know if it's the wrong policy. Agreed Value surely won't work on a new vehicle as the "Agreed Value" can only be the current value and not the cost of a new vehicle?
Post #1006287 2nd Sep 2023 10:21pm
lac

Scotland 
Re: GAP lnsurance
lightning wrote:
Do people think it's worth taking out GAP insurance on a new Defender? Technically if it was a total loss, the insurance should pay the market value, but l've heard horror stories with the old Defender where people are getting way less than the replacement cost because "that's what the guide book says"

Even the price guide that's in the back of one of the Land Rover magazines is way out, claiming for instance that you can get a pristine late TD5 Station Wagon for £11,000.

The policy l have found is £300 for 4 years and covers the difference between what the insurance pays out, and what l paid for the Defender new.

To me it seems worthwhile but the Money Saving Expert site says it "ls not necessary unless you owe more on finance than the vehicle is worth"

You can get “ Back to invoice plus’ gap insurance which covers you whether you paid cash, HP and PCP. It will quote” This GAP Insurance policy will, in the event of a total loss, pay the difference between the comprehensive insurer’s market value settlement and the original vehicle invoice price or the finance settlement figure, whichever is higher at the time.”

Don’t buy from dealers as it is one of their money makers and is far cheaper buying direct from a company so don’t use brokers either. I just got a quote of £423 for a vehicle 4 months old with 1500 miles and a return to invoice value of £88k which does not have them” market value “ clause

Remember too that many insurance policies cover you for ”return to invoice’ cost during the first year of ownership so also worth checking that out. Have bought GAP in the past for added peace of mind 110 D300 XD HSE, Carpathian, Tow pack. Air Susp pack, cold pack, hud,
Post #1006290 2nd Sep 2023 10:54pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l've discovered that most GAP insurance policies won't quote if you've had the vehicle more than 180 days.

Only two companies would quote for my nine month old D250. l found this bizarre as you don't need GAP insurance in the first year after buying a new vehicle.

Also one of them couldn't value the vehicle (Defender Commercial) because it's "not in the Parkers guide" and they were "waiting for the broker to value it and would call me" They didn't call me back.

Anyhow, thank you for the replies above. l will have a word with the company that did quote on Monday and make sure the policy is right for me.
Post #1006319 3rd Sep 2023 11:05am
Moo

Ukraine 
I just took mine out today with ALA 10 months and 17,000 miles after buying it. It starts on the 29th October, 12 months to the day I purchased my Defender and will run for three years.

I always take it out when I buy a new car but totally forgot this time so thanks for the prompt. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1006367 3rd Sep 2023 5:05pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Just another insurance cost Whistle

We each need to asses the balance of this risk within our own personal circumstances. It’s not something I would or have ever taken, but some people need the peace of mind when they are slaves to their finance commitments. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #1006392 3rd Sep 2023 8:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo

Ukraine 
Luckily I’m not a slave to anything. My commitment is £480 for four years, so just a few tanks of fuel, verses the potential of £28k+ loss. I paid £76k for my car in October 2022. WBAC values it now at £50k with 17k on the clock.

I was in Italy last week and nearly got taken out by a Tw4t in a Mercedes. Seems like £480 for four years is a good deal to me, but hey, it’s your call. Whistle Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1006395 3rd Sep 2023 10:59pm
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
My son purchased a new Mini Cooper JCW in 2018 on a PCP finance deal, he wrote it off on an the icy road 18 months later but had purchased GAP insurance when taking out the finance on the car ( I think it cost approximately £300 for the 4 year term).
He was insured with Aviva who were excellent and offered a realistic payout for the car which was then topped up by the GAP insurers to the original invoice value which was another £7,000!
Probably one of his better financial decisions he has made.
If you are buying on finance for the small extra cost per month it is almost an essential product for peace of mind. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #1006403 4th Sep 2023 6:31am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Moo wrote:
I just took mine out today with ALA 10 months and 17,000 miles after buying it. It starts on the 29th October, 12 months to the day I purchased my Defender and will run for three years.

I always take it out when I buy a new car but totally forgot this time so thanks for the prompt. Thumbs Up

Most insurers provide a new replacement or equivalent value in first 12 months for a new car at no extra cost. So waiting 12 months to buy it is the sensible thing to do.
Post #1006411 4th Sep 2023 8:07am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Most GAP insurance policies used to be there to cover the difference in current value and the settlement figure on finance, which for the first 50-60% of the period of most finance agreements would mean you paying out extra in the event of a total loss. They do not cover a new replacement vehicle too. So check what you’re buying cover wise to make sure it’s offering what you think.
Post #1006412 4th Sep 2023 8:12am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l will, thank you for the advice.

I bought the Defender with cash and a bank loan and only owe £10,000 so there's no PCP or outstanding finance over the vehicle value

But the Commercial version is still worth close to the £55k l
paid for it according to Motorway although WBAC thinks it's worth £44k.

Looking online the cheapest Commercial l could find was a 2021 at £44k+VAT

As l am not VAT registered that would cost me £53k and that's for a base model with no options and a higher mileage than mine.
Also
Mine has £4,000 of options and the WBAC etc don't take that into account

Last edited by lightning on 4th Sep 2023 8:33am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1006413 4th Sep 2023 8:24am
lightning

United Kingdom 
"I paid £76k for my car in October 2022. WBAC values it now at £50k with 17k on the clock"

That's the thing though, l bet you couldn't buy one like yours for £50k
WBAC is trade price for a start, and the dealers will retail it for more. You'd be very lucky to buy one for the WBAC price.
Post #1006414 4th Sep 2023 8:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1