↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Decisions decisions…
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Guyneutron

United Kingdom 
Decisions decisions…
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker here.
I think im finally ready to pull the trigger and place an order.
Ive driven the p400e and the p525, and enjoyed both of them. I am coming from a taycan cross turismo, so its a completely different experience.
Ive been holding off on ordering due to alot of missing spec that are must haves for me (meridian surround, 11.4 screen, digital dash and clearview mirror) but it seems that nee cars are being delivered with all of the above (im looking for x dynamic hse trim)
I know that i should order the p400e as it makes all the sense from a company car point of view. But im torn between that and a d300(coming from electric i feel like going the exact opposite route) or even a 1/2 yrs old low milage p525 (they come fully loaded, and my man maths say on pcp, due to the residual value the monthly payment is actually lower then both the models i mentioned .
First world problems right here! Hahaha but would love to hear current owners of these models (or any model really ) thoughts.
Appreciate anything you guys have to say
Post #1006137 1st Sep 2023 9:44am
Moo

Ukraine 
V8 all the way. Everyone needs to own a V8 at least once.

I'm currently driving around Europe fully loaded in my D250. I've done over 2000 mixed miles on the motorway and alpine routes in the last week, most of it driven hard and fast and its been brilliant. I wouldn't order anything else other than the V8 if I were changing the car. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1006231 1st Sep 2023 11:18pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Yep I still have a V8 pass allowance from the Wife. However I have to sell the Volvo (A tuned 5 cylinder growl is a close second). The V8 would be the only thing to pursuade me back into a LR. But I would be wary of the insurance issue at the moment.

Ironically I also like the Taycan Cross Turismo but it was a "no" as the boot wouldn't be big enough for the dogs.
Post #1006232 1st Sep 2023 11:46pm
Guyneutron

United Kingdom 
Yeah my insurance for my taycan has gone through the roof! Really annoying, funny enough, last i checked the p400e was much much cheaper then any model to insure….
Post #1006262 2nd Sep 2023 4:01pm
lac

Scotland 
Hi Guyneutron,

Dilemma time! For me it was diesel all the way. I bought a D300 XD HSE with a few options and it so suits the car. For me the P400e was a no no due to having a 2.0l 4 cylinder engine boosted with an electric motor and will only get its full 400bhp when fully charged. Its electric only range is 31 miles so after that it’s 300bhp and less mpg than you would get with the V8. Its torque is only 400nm whereas the D300 has 650nm- a massive difference IMHO. For me the choice would be between the D300 and the V8 which has 625nm of torque.

The downside of the V8 for one is the huge difference in price to get the V8 over the D300. The current V8 is probably also on its way out due to the inefficiencies and emissions over the BMW sourced N63 engine found in the RR and RR Sport which have the turbo 4.4l V8 over the LR 5.0 supercharged unit.

While the V8 soundtrack is undeniable, to have to pay in excess of £20-25 thousand more for that engine to me seems mad, hence I went for the diesel which so far has averaged around 35 mpg, although having had a BMW E92 V8 M3 I fully understand the V8 itch.

Hopefully not confused you even more! 110 D300 XD HSE, Carpathian, Tow pack. Air Susp pack, cold pack, hud,
Post #1006283 2nd Sep 2023 9:42pm
Guyneutron

United Kingdom 
Well looks like it might be game time within the next two weeks! Im none the wiser though! Haha
I have ruled out the V8, as recent insurance price hikes have made this extremely unaffordable in London.
So its between the D300 and the P400e.
Ive never ever owned a diesel but 35mpg sounds pretty great to be honest, plus a hefty amount of torque is always fun! Wink
Altough my drive to work is about 35 min of 20-40mph, and im hearing a lot of mixed reviews re diesel and shirt low speed driving.
when financing on PCP the 75th edition becomes an extremely attractive prospect(those wheels need to be painted black asap)
On the other hand the P400E sounds
Like an ideal compromise for London, although i dont have a home charger(which hasnt been an issue with my current electric car)
Please people with both models , that live in London or any other big city, i wanna hear your experiences and thoughts
Post #1011252 15th Oct 2023 8:42am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l've got a D250 and no issues with short/low speed journeys in fact that's most of my day.

Now on 8,000 miles.
Post #1011257 15th Oct 2023 9:09am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
I had a p400e and now have the V8 - if my learnings are of any use I'd summarise as follows:

The p400e is fantastic, but only if you really do regularly cover short journeys where the electric pays you back. In London you don't get any benefit on Congestion Charge, or even tax versus the V8 (after the initial extra charge for the vCool.

I live in London but when I worked it out I was only averaging 26-28mpg overall with the p400e because most of my miles were on the motorway at weekends etc. The V8 is no worse on fuel on the motorway.

So I went for the V8 in order to scratch that itch! I was also a little put off by active driveline / adblue / MHEV on the diesels so my heart won out over my head in the end!

I did borrow a diesel recently though and thought it was very accomplished!

P.S. I'd definitely make sure you have a home charger if you go for the p400e - the 30miles range is more like 25 around town and goes away surprisingly quickly. If you drive around town with a flat battery you're looking at sub-15mpg sometimes. Wouldn't worry too much about the lack of power or anything - the petrol engine has more than enough umph unless you tow trailers up hills at autobahn speeds for a living Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #1011297 15th Oct 2023 1:03pm
Guyneutron

United Kingdom 
Thats some great insight !
Can i ask you what put you off re the driveline / adblue / MHEV of the diesel?
Diesel is such a foreign concept for me.
Post #1011304 15th Oct 2023 2:50pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Nothing substantive really - just gave me a slight feeling of being complicated and the raw power and lazy simplicity of the V8 won me over in the end! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #1011311 15th Oct 2023 3:27pm
Guyneutron

United Kingdom 
Pulled the trigger on a 110 D300 x dynamic HSE with 3000 miles on it 🎉🎉🎉
Cant wait for friday.
Post #1011621 17th Oct 2023 11:18pm
stevemfr

France 
Congrats! I was going to add: go for the diesel as a dd and purchase something small, light and with a lot of HP to satiate the Need for Speed Laughing 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1011645 18th Oct 2023 9:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1