↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > has the law changed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
has the law changed?
Has the law regarding putting ones headlights on changed away from when the street lighting is on you should have your lights on to when it is broad daylight you have to have every last light you have on full? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #268850 23rd Sep 2013 7:06pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
As far as I remember it obligatory lights (side lights) must be used during the period one hour before sunset and one hour after sunrise (may be wrong but its 42 years since I did my initial training) Dipped headlights when streetlighting was a set distance apart and main beam where there were no streets lights.
Then we got Volvo fitting side lightys that were always on.
Then dipped beam had to be used in reduced visiblity ie rain, falling snow or mist/fog.
Now we have a certain type of driver that thinks that if he puts all his lights on all other drivers should get out of his way. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #268875 23rd Sep 2013 8:45pm
superspoons

England 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
I always have my sidelights on - LED's they are to. It's amazing how many people don't see my 110 in broad daylight Rolling Eyes Self preservation Cheers,
Superspoons
Post #268877 23rd Sep 2013 8:51pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
Where there is street lighting in residential areas and the speed limit is 30mph or less then sidelights are to be used (noting not headlights, but sidelights) hency why you see all the black cabs in Londinium with just side lights on.

Not withstanding that rear lights and registration illumination is still mandatory.

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drive...113-to-116

But back to the OP - yes, all lights at all times. If you have them on you can;t be pulled for not having them on - but can be pulled for having a bulb out!

I blame those darned 4x4 drivers in their big f off wagons for blinding people, esp those with damed Speaker LED headlights...... Rolling with laughter
Post #268881 23rd Sep 2013 8:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dobby

Quote:
It's amazing how many people don't see my 110 in broad daylight

You wanna good scare - try driving an ex-mod one in original green cammo. Lights on during the day is a must, especially in the country.
Post #268884 23rd Sep 2013 8:57pm
NoDo$h

England 
Bulbs are cheap, rebuilding your teeth after chewing the steering wheel not so much. Driving a Defender is a bit like pedalling a decent road bike; there's a type of driver who makes an assumption about your speed regardless of any evidence to the contrary. Having found myself on the floor staring at the underside of a bumper once too often, and having dragged the previous 90 out of a ditch following an "I'm sorry I didn't see your 2t of 4x4 in broad daylight" moment, you'll excuse me if I have a preference for putting my headlights on when driving on tree-lined country roads or when the sun is low in the sky Thumbs Up 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #268894 23rd Sep 2013 9:13pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
^^^ wot he sed.
Post #268904 23rd Sep 2013 9:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lambert.the.farmer

Im sorry but there can be no excuse for driving about at 3 in the afternoon on a bright sunny day with your lights on. It is distracting for other drivers and given the modern obsession with compound headlights it also makes it next to impossible to distinguish if indicators are being used. Lights are for when visibility is reduced be that by weather or it being nighttime. If you can't see other cars on the road in the middle of the day then you should not be driving. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #268977 24th Sep 2013 5:47am
ken

United Kingdom 
However Headlights also should be used in low sun conditions ie sun in your mirrors

There's plenty of if and buts

Me on a Bike (not pushbike) I have my Headlight on all the time Thumbs Up
Post #268978 24th Sep 2013 6:04am
walfy

I spent most of the 90's driving around with dipped beam on all the time. It was a habit that was hard to break. After spending nearly 5yrs in Germany where it was the done thing you get used to it.
Plus driving LR's in the Army you always have your lights on for some reason. Not sure why. So for some of us it's just the norm. Don't do it now. Slowly weaned myself off it a few yrs ago 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #268979 24th Sep 2013 6:04am
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
...it also makes it next to impossible to distinguish if indicators are being used...

I've noticed that a few times with the LED day time running lights a lot of new cars seem to be fitted with. It's not as obvious as it should be that the indicator is on...
Post #269064 24th Sep 2013 3:12pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
so far as I can see there is no down side to running with headlights all the time.

if you read all of the general rules there are no requirements NOT to have your headlights on only not to dazzle.

There are however lots of times when you are required to have your headlights on. So the easiest way to comply with those it have them on all the time.

whats' the down side?

CC
Post #269067 24th Sep 2013 3:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
On a Defender, the crappy switch burning out. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #269071 24th Sep 2013 3:42pm
lambert.the.farmer

chopcat wrote:
so far as I can see there is no down side to running with headlights all the time.

if you read all of the general rules there are no requirements NOT to have your headlights on only not to dazzle.

There are however lots of times when you are required to have your headlights on. So the easiest way to comply with those it have them on all the time.

whats' the down side?

CC

I would suggest it is at the least lazy and at worst driving without due care and attention. If you take road craft seriously then you will know when you need lights. If driving is getting in the way of you being at your next appointment on time as seems to be the case for the majority of people then get a taxi and save the rest of us from your not giving a damn. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #269077 24th Sep 2013 4:12pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Quote:
If you take road craft seriously then you will know when you need lights.

+1

Especially applies to foggers...I hate the bloody things when used incorrectly...makes the driver look like a chump who hasn't a clue... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #269079 24th Sep 2013 4:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>