Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Central locking, Alarm and Dome light fail
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landstryker

Norway 
Central locking, Alarm and Dome light fail
Hello Defender2 forum members

Thank you to all of you who assist the people like me who are relatively new to Defender ownership

I have browsed the many threads here on the issues with failing power door locks, alarms and dome light to attempt to sort my issue, but coming up short, so posting my symptoms with hope that someone can recognize the common connection and possible likely source

I have been working around the car a bit and it’s possible I have bumped into something?

The issue started two days ago.

The symptoms are as follows:

Door light (dome light): Works when turned on manually in the ceiling (both front and rear) and also with the light switch on the center console, but will not activate with any of the doors open (i have cleaned and checked all “plunger” switches for corrosion)

Key fob (remote lock) - I replaced the battery. There is nothing at all happening when I press open or close (no alarm “beep” or red indicator on the dashboard or latching sounds - it’s completely dead)

Door lock (key) - using the key only opens the main entry door, there is no centralized locks that engage

Prior to this the left passenger door power lock did not always work, but it would not affect the other doors. Also the rear door lock doesn’t work, and I have located a loose wire to the plunger there that I connected but that made no difference

To summarize: The dome light (the function that turns it on with opening the doors) and central locking seems to have failed simultaneously.

I can’t see that any fuses are blown either..

Help?

With many thanks

“Anders”

Last edited by Landstryker on 23rd Aug 2023 9:44am. Edited 5 times in total
Post #1005174 23rd Aug 2023 8:39am
Landstryker

Norway 

Click image to enlarge

UPDATE

Feel like an idiot.. Razz

I located the “correct” fuse panel and a blown 20a fuse that did the trick.

Guessing a underlying issue is with either a frayed wire or sticking latch that draws high Amps so I will continue with the project of determining the cause if the fuse blows again.

Thank you to those who considered replying, and here is a image of the culprit fuse location if anyone else face a similar issue

Location is below right side front seat
Post #1005180 23rd Aug 2023 9:40am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Check the wire loom that goes to your doors, especially rear doors if you have a 110, wires fracture or break and can short circuit. It’s a known problem on RHD defenders.

See this topic and the additional links to topics in it https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic80757.html?highlight=park
Post #1005259 23rd Aug 2023 10:57pm
Landstryker

Norway 
Much obliged and with thanks Ianh 🙏 👍
Post #1005263 24th Aug 2023 5:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1