Home > Off Topic > Tyre extinguishers vandalism
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Tyre extinguishers vandalism
Hi all
Seems that there are moves to target landrover and other SUV’s by some vigilantly groups who feel it is fine to destroy someones property in the name of their cause ...
60 vehicles in Exeter have been targeted with their tyres drilled overnight ...

https://news.yahoo.com/who-are-the-tyre-ex...p_catchall

Transcript -
An anti-SUV group known as the Tyre Extinguishers have taken credit for the sabotage of more than 60 4x4 vehicles at a Land Rover dealership in Exeter.

Claiming responsibility for Sunday night's damage, the group posted grainy night-vision footage on X (formerly known as Twitter) showing activists sneaking up to the cars and deflating their tyres.

It suggested the attack was carried out in retaliation to an incident in July which saw a Land Rover smash through the fence of a prep school in Wimbledon, southwest London, killing two eight-year-old girls and injuring 15 other people.

Tyre Extinguishers said last night's wreckage was intended as a "peaceful and non-violent demonstration to draw the attention to the presence of grossly inappropriate private vehicles in our towns and cities”
However, their agenda goes beyond preventing accidents involving large SUVs, with the group also rallying against their contribution to climate change.

Activists have damaged vehicles well beyond the UK, with the group now believed to be operating in 18 countries.

Who are the Tyre Extinguishers?

The Tyre Extinguishers describe themselves as a "leaderless, autonomous movement of groups that act independently".

Their modus operandi is fairly straightforward: under the cover of darkness, their activists deflate tyres of parked SUVs and leave a note for the owners to explain what happened.

With the heading "Attention - your gas guzzler kills" the note tells how 4X4s are a "disaster for our climate" and how they are far more likely to kill people during collisions. They add: "You'll be angry, but don't take it personally."

The group, is believed to have started in the UK, first hitting the streets from March 2022 and gradually expanding their network of countries.

Why are they doing this?

The Tyre Extinguishers' main goal is to "make it impossible to own an SUV in the world's urban areas", in the name of "climate, health, and public safety".

Following their recent mission at Jaguar Exeter in Devon, on Sunday night, the group made reference to the recent crash at The Study Prep School, which resulted in the deaths of Nuria Sajjad and Selena Lau.

On their X profile, they said: "SUV's are 8 times more likely to kill children in crashes than smaller cars... This act of retaliation is intended as a peaceful and non-violent demonstration to draw attention to the presence of grossly inappropriate private vehicles in our towns and cities.

"TX firmly believes that their action is a necessary escalation to try and stop these vehicles from wrecking further lives and continuing to push the worsening climate crisis of the cliff edge.”

Citing an International Energy Agency report from December 2021, the group says on its website: "The increasing pace of SUV buying is cancelling out all the carbon savings from people switching to electric cars. If SUV drivers were a country, it would be the sixth-largest emitter in the world."

It adds that at a local level, heavier air pollution produced by SUVs puts people at risk of illness, while pedestrians and cyclists are at more danger of injury, with studies showing drivers of these vehicles are more likely to take risks on the road.

How have they been criticised?

Other than people who take issue with criminal damage, some have criticised the group for deflating the tyres of electric and hybrid vehicles, which they see as counterproductive.

But as Tyre Extinguishers say on their website: "Hybrids and electric cars are fair game. We cannot electrify our way out of the climate crisis - there are not enough rare earth metals to replace everyone’s car and the mining of these metals causes suffering. Plus, the danger to other road users still stands."

Others have said that the damage caused often results in more CO2 emitting vehicles being driven on the road in order to handle the situation.

For example, 28-year-old fitness instructor Carly Bateman, from Didsbury, Manchester, was left unable to get to work when her Skoda Yeti was deflated and ended up getting an Uber while her father drove over to pump her tyre.

She told Sky News: "Worst-case scenario someone could have a really bad health condition or be on their way to meet someone who is dying… and because they've deflated their tyres they can't get there.

"At the end of the day, they've not really done much good there because I've had to involve two vehicles instead of one."

What is the Tyre Extinguishers' method?

On their website, the group encourages people to target "posh/middle class" areas of towns and cities in order to find SUVs to sabotage.

It tells activists to unscrew the cap on the tyre valve and to drop a small bean, such as a lentil, inside the valve cap.

They are then instructed to put the cap back on and tighten it until they hear air hissing out, as the lentil pushes down on a pin inside.

"Even if it’s only hissing out a little bit, that’s enough - it will deflate slowly. The whole process should take about 10 seconds," says the group, who refer to their activists as "bean bandits".

The group also invites activists to print out a template note from their site and to inform the local press of their actions using secure email services.

How big are Tyre Extinguishers and where have they targeted?

It's hard to put a number on the Tyre Extinguishers' membership given their decentralised nature, but they are now thought to be operating in 18 countries.

They have claimed credit for deflating tyres in several cities in the US - where SUVs are particularly popular - including New York, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.

Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal are also among the countries to be targeted by the group.
To give an idea of how many cars they are hitting, a recent post on X describing action undertaken in Berlin says: "ANOTHER 100 SUVs hit in last 2 nights in the Wannsee and Kladow areas.

"Berlin is challenging Paris for most-extinguished city!! 4th action in last 2 months, 350 SUVs made safe."

On July 28, the group said it had deflated the tyres of 70 SUVs in Turin, Italy the previous night. It added: "SUVs need more space, and their disproportionate size worsens the city traffic.

"They don't make everyone's life more difficult only in Turin, they're also a disaster for our climate." Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1003437 9th Aug 2023 10:25am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Until this country gets a police force and justice system worthy of the tax payers nothing will get done.

It does make you wonder what cars the parents of these mentally ill children have to drive them for their needs when they need a lift somewhere.

And bearing in mind the reasons as to why the accident happened in the first place I believe has yet to be established shows that reasonable thought doesn’t even cross their minds.

It’s all just a excuse to give purpose to their pathetic little lives
Post #1003440 9th Aug 2023 10:51am
LR Nuts

" ......... such as a lentil ........"

I knew Lentils would be behind it, that's their staple food Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #1003453 9th Aug 2023 12:34pm
Tim in Scotland

Of course if they get deprived of the use of things that they buy they will be screaming “depriving me of my freedom of choice”. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1003455 9th Aug 2023 12:45pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I’d hardly describe what they have done as peaceful and non-violent. Criminal damage as a minimum. Terrorism might not be too much of a stretch.
Post #1003472 9th Aug 2023 2:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
i read about the dealer ship been hit, in the daily mail. To me these arseholes are using any excuse to start trouble. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1003499 9th Aug 2023 6:16pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I don’t regard them as “arseholes” they would need to be better people to improve to that status.

Words can’t describe what these misguided mindless independents are! Evil or Very Mad Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT

Last edited by Leamreject on 10th Aug 2023 11:39am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1003558 10th Aug 2023 6:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sasdiscos

I love the misguided stupidness of these turds.

What does the term gas guzzler even relate to. They always stick it to a 4x4! Why, does a Ferrari not use any petrol or an Aston Martin? And how is a 4x4 more likely to kill someone vs a 3 tonne tesla or a van or a lorry?

Steve.
Post #1003570 10th Aug 2023 8:21am
spudfan

Ireland 
Going on over here too. Probably be a break now while they fly off for their holidays. Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1003604 10th Aug 2023 1:28pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Judging by the ever increasing size & weight of EV’s then your probably far more likely to get killed (and then burnt) in a collision….
Post #1003653 10th Aug 2023 8:03pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
94,000 deaths in America attributed to EV car accidents….that’s not insignificant……
Post #1003734 11th Aug 2023 10:25am
Moo

Ukraine 
We have quite a few EVs I the village. You just can't hear them creeping up on you.

Also I've fitted these to all the cars. Unlikely anything will happen in the village but parking away in town, who knows?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039O...&psc=1

Click image to enlarge
 Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1003736 11th Aug 2023 10:54am
RDR

United Kingdom 
Manufacturers do need to get ontop of the pedestrian sound, our Born makes a funny growling sound arguably louder than a petrol car when creeping under 5mph. The range rover is silent but should make a sound i think its an outstanding issue waiting for a fix. People joke about EV making fake engine noises, i think there is merit. Also when your behind a bunch of cyclists i often wonder if they haven't noticed me because I'm quiet or if they are ignoring me!

As for this bunch I'm not commenting, I had a nasty interaction with a deranged lady in brighton not long back taking offence at me parking my ridiculous SUV on a street. "I should get a smaller car that's less polluting" she continued to moan as 5 adults and 3 big dogs exited the car that had been running on renewable electric all day Rolling Eyes 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1003738 11th Aug 2023 11:04am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Moo wrote:
We have quite a few EVs I the village. You just can't hear them creeping up on you.

Also I've fitted these to all the cars. Unlikely anything will happen in the village but parking away in town, who knows?

The mob in Exeter drilled the tyers rather than just letting them down .... Evil or Very Mad Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1003747 11th Aug 2023 11:58am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
markb110 wrote:
94,000 deaths in America attributed to EV car accidents….that’s not insignificant……

Pardon? A quick google shows that to be more than double the annual ROAD deaths in the states... cite your source.
Post #1003761 11th Aug 2023 12:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>