Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ibsley

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Clutch pedal pressure loss / Puma 2.4
Hi,

Context
I have a LHD, 2008 Puma 2.4. Operating as expected before a long trip away. On returning, not having driven it for ~1 month, I tried to start the car.

Symptom
I depressed the clutch pedal (i.e. foot to the floor) and switched ignition on: car lurched forward about a foot and stalled.

Analysis
Seems that the clutch is not disengaging – I couldn't get the gear lever into neutral. I tried the clutch pedal a few times: it seems to have lost pressure, and the car is stuck in gear. Diff lock also won't budge. Brake pedal is fine.

Attempts
A look at the threads on this forum suggested check fluid, which I did (quite dirty, syringed out from top and refilled). Pumped clutch, released a few air bubbles out of the top of the clutch fluid reservoir, but no change in pressure.

I'd like to bleed/purge the system and refill with completely fresh clutch fluid. But I can't find the bleed nipple/valve. (This is why I used a syringe from the top). Is the clutch bleed located differently on the RHD model? It doesn't appear to be next to the bell housing, but I'm not experienced so I may be looking in the wrong place. Mine is a 110, in case that matters. Assuming I can bleed and refresh all clutch fluid, and still no clutch operation, what would the next step be? I am miles away from a garage and don't have a trailer to tow. Any help much appreciated!
Post #1002848 3rd Aug 2023 12:40pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Hopefully this thread will help you.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post552660.html

Have some questions:
1. Is the clutch pedal very soft, or do you feel normal resistance?
2. When you depressed the clutch pedal, and tried to start, was the gearbox engaged in any gear? or was it in neutral?

If the gearbox is in gear, and difficult to get it into neutral, you may ask someone to push/pull the Defender (handbrake released) until the gearbox can be put into neutral (of course you need to be on level ground). Do not force the gearlever. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1002856 3rd Aug 2023 2:06pm
HTB

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Buckingham Blue
take a look at this thread - and others. https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic48246.html

it should be in the same place on an LHD vehicle. The slave cylinder is INSIDE the bell housing on a Puma therefore not as obvious as on a TD5 or earlier, so if its failed, the gearbox has to come out which is a complete PITA.

Check the fluid level in your master cylinder (and colour of fluid). If you are lucky the cylinder can be replaced or rebuilt (probably worth replacing - consider an LOF for easier pedal action). If you are unlucky the slave cylinder has died.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic85634...e+cylinder
Post #1002857 3rd Aug 2023 2:10pm
ibsley

Thanks Dinnu.

I did go through that thread, and got stuck trying to find the bleed valve. In the diagrams posted by agentmulder, I can't tell what the orientation of the valve (#1 in the top diagram, #19 in the bottom) should be which complicates the search. I did find one candidate but there is nothing like a 'two flats' release (or a plastic cover) on the valve so unless the nipple has been replaced by a former owner, I'm still lost.

To your questions:
1. I'd say medium resistance. Easy to depress by hand: and the clutch pedal stays down (i.e. on the floor). The spring seems fine: when I lift the pedal back up by hand, perhaps 1", it springs back to its normal driving position.
2. In gear. What distance should I push? The forward lurches were about 1/6th of a wheel circumference each – and my windscreen is now a few atoms away from a tree branch...and unhelpfully the ground isn't quite level. (Slight downward slope towards the stern).

Hope this clarifies.
Thanks,
Post #1002860 3rd Aug 2023 2:16pm
Dinnu

Another option to help you put the gearbox in neutral is to lift off the ground one of the front wheels. Handbrake can remain engaged. Lifting one front wheel off the ground removes load from the gearbox. At least with gearbox in neutral you are sure that the tree branch does not end up in the passenger seat next time you try to start the engine. You may also keep the front wheel off the ground to have that extra security.

Can follow the pipework to find the bleed valve?

In the past I did have the occasional problems to fully bleed a clutch, albeit not on a Puma. I found that holding the clutch pedal depressed (using a piece of wood to the seatbox) and leaving it overnight solved my problems. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1002864 3rd Aug 2023 2:56pm
ibsley

Thanks for these replies.
Got someone to help and bump the gearbox back into neutral, exactly as you described.
Checked fluid (will try your stick to the pedal method next time to bleed) but no joy. So hauling it off to the garage as I don't feel up to taking the gearbox out. Shame but let's see what the professionals say.
I appreciate your help here. What's a LOF?
Post #1003009 4th Aug 2023 1:57pm
Dinnu

Quote:
What's a LOF?

This will explain:

https://lofclutches.com/ 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1003014 4th Aug 2023 2:32pm
ibsley

Great, thank you
Post #1003025 4th Aug 2023 4:16pm
ibsley

In case of interest to you: the whole clutch was done for, and the cylinders too. No precise culprit determined (which often seems to be the case with Defenders, at least with Pumas it seems) so that's a story for another day.

I talked with LOF and am now fitting both a powerspec clutch and a new MT82 output shaft. Should be ready in a few days – I can't wait!

Thanks again for your help
Post #1007471 13th Sep 2023 11:26am
ibsley

Updating just in case of any interest.

The garage replaced the entire clutch with a LOF powerspec unit, and swapped out the (busted) slave cylinder too. I opted for an LOF output shaft (MT82) as well as the old one was completely worn, splines down to the last few microns.

Altogether pretty pricey but it now runs much more smoothly, although still some clunking going from 3-4 and sometimes 4-5. Perhaps that is normal?

Refilled clutch fluid using DOT4 as all the professionals recommend it, but it considering a complete drain and redoing with DOT5.

Thanks for your advice above, everyone!
Post #1009090 27th Sep 2023 9:10am
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
DOT4 and DOT5.1 can be mixed together as they are all glycol-based fluids.
DOT5 is silicone based.
I would not use DOT5 anywhere in a Defender.

/Mat
Post #1009093 27th Sep 2023 9:29am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Be aware that LOF recommend that the master cylinder NOT be changed for a few months until the clutch has bedded or the master and salve cylinders will fail again - this has happened to me and a couple of others that I know ... so something to watch for and read the small print in the instructions !!!
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1009099 27th Sep 2023 9:58am
ibsley

Interesting, thanks for the context.
What would be the issue using DOT5 on a Defender? I was following this thread: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic89524.html but am none the wiser.
Post #1009173 27th Sep 2023 8:06pm
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Well.. from a practical point of view, LR specifies DOT4 both for brakes an clutch. If any workshop is doing some work for you, this is what they will use. So basically if you have DOT5 already in, they will top up with DOT4, and as explained, they do not mix together. Plus DOT5 is not widely used and difficult to get hold off in some places. If you are after a higher spec fluid, then I would suggest to look into DOT5.1 instead, which can be mixed with DOT4 if needed.

/Mat
Post #1009184 27th Sep 2023 8:39pm
ibsley

Thanks MatLandy, that's much more useful info than the garage gave me. I think I'll stick with DOT4 for now but will check in with any DOT5.1 threads and see how others get on.
Cheers all for your help here!
Post #1009720 2nd Oct 2023 11:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1