↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Canvassing Opinion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
elz

United Kingdom 
Canvassing Opinion
I posted some pictures last week, showing the problems I am having with the bodywork on my defender. Well Land Rover have been back in Contact.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8703.html

These are the options

1. Pay an extra £2750 and get a brand new Defender (I bought a demonstrator from a dealer that was 6 months old and had 1100 miles on the clock).

2. The second option is another demonstrator, registered on the 8th September, but I cannot have it till the 8th December. This will cost me an extra £500.

I think I know which option I want, I’m looking for some independent perspective on it.
Thanks
Elz
[/url]
Post #96557 27th Oct 2011 12:59pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Re: Canvassing Opinion
elz wrote:
I posted some pictures last week, showing the problems I am having with the bodywork on my defender. Well Land Rover have been back in Contact.

These are the options

1. Pay an extra £2750 and get a brand new Defender (I bought a demonstrator from a dealer that was 6 months old and had 1100 miles on the clock).

2. The second option is another demonstrator, registered on the 8th September, but I cannot have it till the 8th December. This will cost me an extra £500.

I think I know which option I want, I’m looking for some independent perspective on it.
Thanks
Elz
[/url]

Although expensive, I'd go for the new one and check it REALLY carefully and test drive it before accepting. I'm only saying this because you'll know what has happened to it in its first months of life. My new Defender was at a dealer for a few days being fixed by a useless/evil mechanic and the gearbox was Censored up in that time. The less time out of your sight the better. Demonstrators are often given to people who have never driven a Defender for a few days or even as a "loaner"...
Cheers
Paranoid-Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #96560 27th Oct 2011 1:19pm
pom

3rd option get your money back.
Post #96561 27th Oct 2011 1:23pm
ZeDefender

Re: Canvassing Opinion
elz wrote:

These are the options

Thanks
Elz
[/url]

I forgot to say thanks, by the way - your post had me running outside to check my baby over too Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #96566 27th Oct 2011 1:48pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
If you can trade-up for £2750, I would do that! It's a bargain. Full warranty, and worth more resale (1 owner, probably 2012 reg?)

Get the model & colour you want...and negotiate hard for a few extras to be thrown-in Very Happy

Keep the mats etc from your current one, and get a few other bits thrown in by the dealer.

Assuming you're still wanting a Defender of course...I guess a new one will be the 2.2 engine, unless they have a 2.4 in stock...? Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 27th Oct 2011 1:51pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #96568 27th Oct 2011 1:50pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Provided the extra £2750 on top of what you have already spent means you are getting a hefty discount on the new one go for the new option.

Bob
Post #96569 27th Oct 2011 1:50pm
Honker

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Option 4, the demo ,but no cost to change as thats the price of the inconvenience you've caused.

Assume the demo has balance of manufacturers warranty ?

Stu
Post #96570 27th Oct 2011 1:51pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Go for the few one
Post #96576 27th Oct 2011 3:11pm
elz

United Kingdom 
Thanks very much so far for the replies. There is one more thing I forgot to mention. I'm not sure that I want a defender with a DPF fitted. If it was a like for like, I'd go for the new one. The Demo is a 2.4, definitely.
Post #96589 27th Oct 2011 4:29pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Good point about the DPF - I agree.

If that is the case insist on a straight swap for the demo vehicle in December, why should you pay for the inconvenience ?

Bob
Post #96591 27th Oct 2011 5:13pm
ZeDefender

elz wrote:
Thanks very much so far for the replies. There is one more thing I forgot to mention. I'm not sure that I want a defender with a DPF fitted. If it was a like for like, I'd go for the new one. The Demo is a 2.4, definitely.

Good point! If the 2.4 will get you through the LEZs for the foreseeable future, I wouldn't go for a 2.2 - "teething troubles" and all that.
For all its "warts and all" the 2.4 Puma has been around since 2007 and seems to do a good job... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #96592 27th Oct 2011 5:13pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
hi Elz

I'd get a new one for peace of mind. You could be lucky with an ex demo but the unknown factor with these is the number of drivers who are not sympathetic to the controls especially the gears ("oh this is different - CRUNCH. Oh whats this little lever for ? "CRUNCH. Plus demos often get treated like hire cars aka rally cars !
I bought an ex rental once but only cos it was dirt cheap. These Defender things are special so its worth the extra outlay to get one out of the box Thumbs Up
Post #96597 27th Oct 2011 5:43pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Personally I would go for the ex-demo. With the push on the Evoque I doubt many people take showroom Defenders out for demo drives. Mine had 900 m on the clock from a Mayfair dealership ( London ) and was pristine. Panel fit excellent, no marks inside/out, underside pristine. The only problem I had was water leak onto rear carpet, found by accident and tracked to 2 rivets on the rear floor pan letting in water when driving through puddles. Cured with some underbody sealant prior to waxoyling.
Ok someone might have crashed the gears etc: but I'm sorry, if a Defender cannot deal with that then with the balance of the 3 years warranty I would expect that to be covered. If it is that sensitive then it cannot be a real Land Rover. Look how they are used and abused around the world. Normal road use and greenlaneing in the western world doesn't come close.
Make sure the ex-demo is as should be and keep with the 2.4L . Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I presume you will have full use of your present vehicle until delivery of the replacement? Wink LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #96622 27th Oct 2011 7:24pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I'd be tempted by a straight swap with the ex demo but go over it with a fine tooth comb before committing. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #96630 27th Oct 2011 8:20pm
ZeDefender

Miserableolgit wrote:
I'd be tempted by a straight swap with the ex demo but go over it with a fine tooth comb before committing.

In any event, seriously check out the gearbox cold (don't let them warm it up) and hot (motorway/dual carriageway for at least 20 miles). That will reveal any common 2nd/3rd gear problems and also if the handbrake is faulty (hot and rattling) Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #96646 27th Oct 2011 9:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>