↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > LOF clutches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doruk1981

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
LOF clutches
I finshied rebuilding my 15p engine and also got a new flywheel and clutch kit (roadspec kit) from LOF clutches. When testing I note that the new clutch its insanely hard while the clutch point is in a great spot the overall clutching experience will be giving me an insanely strong or broken left leg .. how did you all deal with the fine tuning of the clutch? did you switch to a bigger master cylinder? or do I still just happen to have some more air in the system?

thanks for sharing your ideas. Td5 110 Station
Post #999291 9th Jul 2023 9:28am
kenzle8a

I had a LOF power spec and flywheel fitted and didn’t notice any difference from the old stock item, not sure how much adjustment i in there.

I didn’t even have a clutch spring fitted.
Post #999301 9th Jul 2023 10:03am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Never heard of being able to adjust the weight of the clutch. How are you comparing the weight of yours? If it truly is heavier by a lot it sounds more like something isn’t quite right.
Post #999310 9th Jul 2023 11:27am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Re: LOF clutches
doruk1981 wrote:
did you switch to a bigger master cylinder?

Just fyi, bigger master cylinder will give a heavier clutch.

Some offerings that claim to ease the clutch pedal either have a smaller bore master cylinder, or a larger bore slave cylinder. In both cases, you would need to increase the stroke of the pedal, and in my opinion are not the nicest solution. I have installed one of the so called 'power slave' on a family Td5... but was not so happy with it as the clutch release point is really at the bottom of the clutch pedal (less movement of the slave for a given stroke of the master). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #999314 9th Jul 2023 11:39am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I have the LOF clutch and SMF flywheel

I fitted their pedal spring and their 'power slave' slave cylinder and the pedal weight is massively lighter. I've not experienced any of the issues described in the previous post.

I am 1800 miles into an overlanding holiday around France and I have no leg, back or foot issues due to pedal weight. Highly recommended! TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #999343 9th Jul 2023 5:13pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: LOF clutches
doruk1981 wrote:
I finshied rebuilding my 15p engine and also got a new flywheel and clutch kit (roadspec kit) from LOF clutches. When testing I note that the new clutch its insanely hard while the clutch point is in a great spot the overall clutching experience will be giving me an insanely strong or broken left leg .. how did you all deal with the fine tuning of the clutch? did you switch to a bigger master cylinder? or do I still just happen to have some more air in the system?

thanks for sharing your ideas.

The LOF clutches are superb for vehicles with increased power, however there is a trade off. With increased clutch calmping force comes a heavier pedal if using the standard Land Rover pedal spring and master/slave cylinder. When I had my power spec clutch fitted I called up Luke and asked if it was normal and he explained the above. Makes sense to me. After I had fitted the Power master and spring the clutch is lighter than the original LR setup and lighter than the Freelander's pedal.

LOF are doing a deal on the power master and spring at the moment by the way.
Post #999369 9th Jul 2023 8:23pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I have a road spec LOF clutch in my Td5. Prior to fitting it I fitted the LOF power spring which makes a big difference and subsequently I have fitted the power slave which makes the clutch pedal as light as the pedal on my VW Passat. LOF recommend you don't fit the power slave until the clutch has bedded in otherwise you get an insanely low bite point. I still had to file down the nut on the end of the master cylinder rod to get enough pedal to get the bite point in the right place and the pedal is much higher than the book suggests.
Post #999601 11th Jul 2023 10:28am
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
I have a custom master (same as LOF but cost me $35 Cdn pesos) and a LOF slave. Its like… well, its revolutionary and like driving a car!

Removed the pedal spring as I have the slave and master. Still have my DMF and its a great combo. The master has dual seals unlike the OE Thumbs Up 🤷‍♂️

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/373523106703 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #1000032 14th Jul 2023 3:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1