↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Driving to the south of France - is it mad in a series?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
edward

United Kingdom 
Driving to the south of France - is it mad in a series?
So… we’re planning a summer holiday and I would take my Puma, but it’s a double cab and I can’t fit all the children in plus the mother in law (and she has to come). I’m looking at this as an excuse to buy a series (always looks on the bright side) but… is it mad to drive a 2a or 3 all
The way to the south of France? Has anyone done it … thanks in advance!
Post #998420 3rd Jul 2023 5:06pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
No, it is an adventure and you'll have a great time no matter what happens Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #998421 3rd Jul 2023 5:10pm
edward

United Kingdom 
That’s the spirit I was hoping for!
Post #998423 3rd Jul 2023 5:29pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
It's not mad at all, folk have been a lot further in them than that. For me with an old car, you just need that confidence that comes from familiarity with it. If you get one, use it plenty before you go, and do all your maintenance so it's as right as it can be before you set off. Allow enough time for the journey at a comfortable speed so you don't need to push it too hard and I think you'll love it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #998424 3rd Jul 2023 5:30pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
And whilst you are planning best read this... https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/eric-edis/...R004114981 Thumbs Up
Post #998425 3rd Jul 2023 5:33pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Euro-leafing is great fun! See some of Stephen Patchett's videos for plenty of travelling around Europe in Series Land Rovers.

&t=52s

Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....

Last edited by strang on 3rd Jul 2023 6:29pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #998436 3rd Jul 2023 6:21pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Presumably you are thinking lwb Laughing Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #998437 3rd Jul 2023 6:23pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Not in the slightest bit mad, but you need to be an enthusiast. It will be very different to anything you have experienced before, and I would suggest arranging a drive (ideal for the family) in one before you commit. I actually don't think that any Series could be less comfortable than the second row of a Puma DC (which was clearly designed by someone who either hated people with legs or was some kind of mutant)!

It will without a doubt be even more of an adventure and something to remember for a lifetime. Go for it!

(From the person who once drove an 80" Series One for 400+ miles stopping only for fuel, and still suffers the musculo-skeletal and hearing after-effects, but loved every minute of the journey!)
Post #998439 3rd Jul 2023 6:36pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
You are clearly fond of your mother inlaw...Is the punishment not a little too cruel?
Post #998455 3rd Jul 2023 7:50pm
edward

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to see what pops up for sale over the next few months - but I’m quite excited now. The mother in law isn’t aware of the plan yet - but worse case I have to stick her on a plane and pick her up down there!
Post #998456 3rd Jul 2023 8:01pm
Norfolk-n-chance

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Dare I say that a series 3 might be slightly more ‘modern’ (I did say slightly) having owned both I the past, I’d say the 3 would be the better bet.

But I’ve probably just opened a massive can of worms!! “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #998484 4th Jul 2023 12:32am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Whilst it's undoubtedly possible, you need to be realistic about the experience. A series LR will have absolutely none of the comfort and convenience of a late Defender, both mechanically and for the passengers, and the novelty for non-enthusiasts can wear off very quickly.

Years ago, a group of friends and I went to Morocco. The convoy comprised my 300tdi Disco, a Range Rover, a 200tdi Defender and a 2.25 petrol Series III. The latter was perfectly capable of the trip but was painfully slow by comparison and the driver was noticeably more weary at the end of a long day on Spanish motorways (but he was young and enthusiastic). Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #998505 4th Jul 2023 9:38am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've a gaff in the South of France and have driven back and forth to the UK more times than I can remember, and by every route through Eastern and Western. Almost without exception in LWB SW's, the first time a 2.6 6-cylinder in 1971, currently a 2.4 Puma.

As for Series models, "...perfectly capable of the trip but was painfully slow by comparison and the driver was noticeably more weary at the end of a long day" just about sums it up.

Long gone are the days when I'd drive a 1000 km in one day, I now take my time and stopover twice, most recently once near Dover and once halfway down in France.

MIL is not going to appreciate long distance travel in ANY Series or Defender, treat yourself to a leisurely sight-seeing journey through France in your Puma and put her on a 'plane (we recently flew Gatwick to Hyeres with Easyjet for 28 quid each - she'd only need to bring hand luggage).

Peter
Post #998521 4th Jul 2023 11:12am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I've driven my series for 200+mile trips, but it is tiring. Much more so than in my Defender.

One thing I would say, is that if you're thinking of buying one for the trip, then I'd do so as soon as possible, and get as much time driving it as you can before the trip.

As with any new car purchase, I think it's entirely reasonable to expect there to be a few little issues that you'd want to sort before driving long distances. The older the car, and particularly with something like a series 2/3, then I think the chance of needing a bit of preventative maintenance is even higher.

tyre choice will have quite an impact on road noise on the motorway. If I had to drive mine down to the south of France to see my family there, I'd be sorely tempted to buy some (more) road oriented tyres for the journey.

Unless it's had an engine transplant and/or changes to gearing (via diffs or overdrive) then I'd anticipate cruising at 50ish. higher speed possible, but are seriously fatiguing after a while due to the levels of concentration required.
Post #998522 4th Jul 2023 11:18am
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
When I bought my S2 I drove it 160 miles home.
The experience damaged me sufficiently to say "Never again"

In all the 16 years I owned it I never travelled further than 30 miles from home..
after that I had had enough!

Fair play to anyone that that can get in one everyday for successive days and drive 100s of miles.

Clemmo Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #998526 4th Jul 2023 11:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>