Home > Spotted > Glastonbury
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Caterham wrote:
absolute scum.

perhaps a few of us should get together at these events and set up a 'sting' Twisted Evil

Really?!

They carry big sticks and heavy tools and I'm sure that they sleep very well at night. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #997946 29th Jun 2023 8:19am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Just carry bigger sticks
Post #997967 29th Jun 2023 12:43pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\ and more Mr. Green
Post #997969 29th Jun 2023 1:41pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Good job I didn't win tickets for Glasto this year. I would have taken the Defender. Shocked
Post #997980 29th Jun 2023 5:26pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
This is depressing to see, feel sorry for the owners Sad 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW
2002 Discovery 2 td5 GS (gone)
1994 Defender 90 300Tdi CSW (gone)
Post #997983 29th Jun 2023 6:18pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
It’s why I can’t look at those vehicles exported into the US that once passed through customs they then get stripped down then rebuilt with larger engines a new interior and made to look like a Puma.

Some of those business’ I understand have an ex pat connection.

Does make you wonder.

And to answer the question about insurance, just watch that industry move to the green side in the next few years.
Post #997984 29th Jun 2023 6:33pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
It's sad that you can't just leave a defender anywhere, there's lots of of places I won't leave mine, Glastonbury festival car park would be one of them. I attend quite a few country shows as part of my business and mostly security just sounds good. Police presence is much better. At least they weren't stolen outright. Unfortunately as long as there's interest in the defender, along with seemingly plenty of folk ( like me ) quite happy to spend hours restoring them, there will be a second hand market for bits, especially a good set of doors. I won't leave mine anywhere I'm not comfortable with, which sadly is alot of places.
Post #997989 29th Jun 2023 8:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
MarkBrown wrote:
... At least they weren't stolen outright. ...

I don't really see that having the bonnet, doors, and seats stolen is better than having the vehicle stolen. They will certainly be written off as they are, even in the incredibly unlikely event that the parts are recovered. At least if the whole vehicle is stolen the chance of getting it back is marginally greater.

It makes me sick and very, very angry to see pictures like these, and makes me despair of the way the human race is evolving. I hope that I never come across someone doing this, since I fear that the red mist will cloud my judgement and it will end very badly indeed for someone, probably me.
Post #998012 29th Jun 2023 11:42pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I'd sooner keep my truck, minus the doors, than lose the lot. I do see from an insurance point that they could be possibly written off though. Either way I'd be pretty angry.
Post #998016 30th Jun 2023 5:58am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I find it very sad that any time I see a nice defender, instead of looking at it with admiration and envy, I look and wonder what security they have and how, if it was mine, I would be worried about leaving it unattended.

My defender looks used. When I shut my rear door sometimes bits of rust fall off. It has many dents and scarres and I would really like to do a budget restoration job, but every time I look at those dents and blemishes I think "well at least it's less desirable".

Unfortunately we live in a society where our police and justice system are not a deterrent. It seems that these days that laws are there to control and hinder the law abiding. I am not a believer in mob rule or vigilantes but it seems there is no real deterrent to criminals and thugs.

It is too easy to offer a crime number and say "claim off your insurance" when an occurrence like this happens, but being financially recompensed does not put right the mental distress and sense of violation we are left with.

I do wonder if the poor people that own that defender will keep it or if the distress caused will mean they can't put up with the worry of owning one anymore.

I really do feel for the owners. You go to an event so that you can come away with a positive experience and you end up with this. Very sad.
Post #998017 30th Jun 2023 6:09am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Sadly its not just defenders anymore, in the west midlands gangs are targeting station car parks and stripping the front ends off almost any modern car.

Clearly these parts are supporting the back street repair trade probably for cars that were not properly insured in the first place.

Unfortunately this country is fairly quickly getting taken over by scum and the police are under resourced to deal with this type of crime. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #998018 30th Jun 2023 6:20am
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
Mossberg wrote:
I find it very sad that any time I see a nice defender, instead of looking at it with admiration and envy, I look and wonder what security they have and how, if it was mine, I would be worried about leaving it unattended.

My defender looks used. When I shut my rear door sometimes bits of rust fall off. It has many dents and scarres and I would really like to do a budget restoration job, but every time I look at those dents and blemishes I think "well at least it's less desirable".

Unfortunately we live in a society where our police and justice system are not a deterrent. It seems that these days that laws are there to control and hinder the law abiding. I am not a believer in mob rule or vigilantes but it seems there is no real deterrent to criminals and thugs.

It is too easy to offer a crime number and say "claim off your insurance" when an occurrence like this happens, but being financially recompensed does not put right the mental distress and sense of violation we are left with.

I do wonder if the poor people that own that defender will keep it or if the distress caused will mean they can't put up with the worry of owning one anymore.

I really do feel for the owners. You go to an event so that you can come away with a positive experience and you end up with this. Very sad.

This is often how I feel, after a recent spate of Defender thefts from Railway Stations I was paranoid about leaving mine parked up for the day. When I arrived there was a Defender already there which
reassured me.

It's frustrating that fear of something you love being stolen, takes the fun out of owning and using it.

Probably need to be a bit more Stoic in my approach, otherwise my possessions ending up owing me. Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #998059 30th Jun 2023 4:02pm
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
Mossberg wrote:

This is often how I feel, after a recent spate of Defender thefts from Railway Stations I was paranoid about leaving mine parked up for the day. When I arrived there was a Defender already there which
reassured me.

It's frustrating that fear of something you love being stolen, takes the fun out of owning and using it.

Probably need to be a bit more Stoic in my approach, otherwise my possessions ending up owing me. Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #998060 30th Jun 2023 4:02pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
LR90XS2011 wrote:
Sadly its not just defenders anymore, in the west midlands gangs are targeting station car parks and stripping the front ends off almost any modern car.

Clearly these parts are supporting the back street repair trade probably for cars that were not properly insured in the first place.

Unfortunately this country is fairly quickly getting taken over by scum and the police are under resourced to deal with this type of crime.

I have no idea what you mean. I worked in the centre of Birmingham, commuted in and out daily and all I ever saw was nice local gentlemen (and women of course). No scumbags anywhere to be seen.

I'm sorry, that was a complete and utterly lie.
Post #998089 30th Jun 2023 8:24pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:
It’s why I can’t look at those vehicles exported into the US that once passed through customs they then get stripped down then rebuilt with larger engines a new interior and made to look like a Puma.

Some of those business’ I understand have an ex pat connection.

Does make you wonder.

And to answer the question about insurance, just watch that industry move to the green side in the next few years.
I have to agree far too many late parts seemingly all removed from the same coloured vehicle that was a insurance right off? Really
Post #998274 2nd Jul 2023 3:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>