↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Old style flip down seats in a Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Old style flip down seats in a Puma
Has anyone with a Tdci put in the old style flip down side facing individual seats from the back of a Td5 or earlier, in the back of their Tdci?

We bought the 110 SW without seats, as we wanted the load space and we knew the new style seats take up a lot of room folded up. We rarely need the extra seats and find havign the room for stuff more useful. To have a compromise would be ideal...

So, I have the idea of putting just 2 flip down side facing seats in, one each side. Has anyone done this or seen it done? I know the wheel arch is a different shape in the Tdci from previous models. How much would this change things?

Many thanks,

Seb Thumbs Up
Post #6707 30th Jan 2009 5:59pm
Trevor Wright

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Yes, the new style seats are bulky. Problem with fitting the old flip-downs in a vehicle designed and intended for the new ones is that a) you may possibly be contravening the law on forward-facing seats ? and b) just imagine being in a shunt with your rear passengers injured - you would come in for significant criticism for fitting these "cheap" "unsafe" seats and maybe open to litigation from the injured parties or their representatives. If you asked your insurers for an opinion they would say "no" to the flip-downs I'd guess - they'd take the safe option, and if you didn't tell them of the non-standard mod you'd be liable for cover being invalid in a high cost prang methinks. Trevor Wright
'08 90 TDCi/TD4 XS SW
Post #6718 31st Jan 2009 10:41am
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks Trevor, I agree about the risk element, i was thinking really about very short occasional hops rather than journeys. Of course accidents don't have any concern for the nature of the trip, but it was a thought. The possible invalidity of the insurance is the biggest one though, and i'll probably abandon the idea because of it.

Happy weekend, fellow Essexer!

Cheers,

Seb
Post #6719 31st Jan 2009 10:47am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I recall that there are some specific changes that have been made to the bodywork of the Puma to accommodate the new seats (changing the reinforcement etc). I don't know whether that precludes fitting the older seats.

As for the risk of litigation, you'll just need to get your passengers to sign a waiver when they get in. If you get the rear cargo net fitted, you should be able to hold several forms Thumbs Up
Post #6742 1st Feb 2009 12:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1