↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Home Made Rivnut Tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Home Made Rivnut Tool
Thought this might be useful if you need to fit a few rivnuts but don't have a proper rivnut tool to hand.

You need a long bolt of the correct thread for the rivnut along with a nut and two washers of the correct size plus an oversize nut that is used to stop the rivnut turning.

Use the approriate spanners to hold the bolt head and the oversize nut (A and C) still whilst tightening B with another spanner. If you don't have three hands it may be a bit fiddly - i used my bench vice to hold the bolt head in place leaving both hands free for the nuts. This is not possible if you can't take the thing you're fixing the rivnut into to the bench.

If you are fitting into a blind hole you'd need to guess how many turns to tighten the nut - I think three complete turns is about right.

Photo of the 'tool' in action. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #94140 13th Oct 2011 11:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Thanks - wish I'd thought of that before I bought mine - impressive bit of kit though Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #94169 14th Oct 2011 8:14am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I meant to add a photo of the fitted rivnut showing how it looked from the rear ....

Seemed to work really well. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #94185 14th Oct 2011 8:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Stickied, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up Mr. Green  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #94188 14th Oct 2011 9:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Home Made Rivnut Tool
JSG wrote:
If you are fitting into a blind hole you'd need to guess how many turns to tighten the nut - I think three complete turns is about right.

This is the method that Landrover used to give in the winch fitting instructions for capstan winches in Series One days.

With a bit of practice you will feel when the rivnut has fully collapsed - the nut you are turning will become tight. It doesn't require a huge force to compress the rivnut, so when it gets hard to turn, stop!

An alternative I have found useful on many occasions is to use a long eyebolt (taken from an eyebolt-type Rawlbolt) instead of the long centre setscrew; the ring is often easier to hold with the third hand than a spanner on the hex.
Post #94192 14th Oct 2011 9:31am
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
COOL!!!!!

Thumbs Up
Post #94353 15th Oct 2011 12:04pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Funny I was just about to do something like this myself since it is quite logical if you only have a few to do. Like the tip with the extra, large, nut in the system. Saves me buying a tool specially. Thumbs Up
Post #107551 15th Dec 2011 8:39am
walfy

Mountain_man

I have a rivnut tool here if you want to borrow it 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #112250 4th Jan 2012 10:08pm
Nacho

I´ve Just signed in on the forum to thank you for the information you posted,... so thank you so much Very Happy from Spain.
Post #153535 3rd Jul 2012 11:24pm
Borro

Italy 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
here is another solution Smile i had the link to the tutorial in Italian but i can translate some parts if anybody needs it Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GFsllloy9w "Porthos" Defender 90 td4 santorini black - Winter is Coming
Post #215554 2nd Mar 2013 4:17pm
ZeDefender

Wow - for inserting smaller rivnuts that is really, really clever Bow down

Wouldn't like to use it for stainless M8s though - I can barely do them with a pro tool Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #215555 2nd Mar 2013 4:35pm
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Thanks John,
Used this method today worked really well. Thumbs Up

Wayne Very Happy 110XS CSW TD5.
Post #225097 6th Apr 2013 5:51pm
TheWarden

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Has anyone used rivnuts on the plastic interior trim? 2013 Aintree Green 110 Station Wagon SX
Post #225103 6th Apr 2013 6:24pm
ZeDefender

Yep - but I put a washer behind it to give the insert something solid to grip on Thumbs Up
Used it for the dog guard bracket - used a bit of butyl on the washer to keep it in place on the back of the rivnut when I "squeezed":

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #225118 6th Apr 2013 7:05pm
Litch

England 
Been fitting Rivnuts without the proper setting tool for years (on & off) but having recently just done some more and then seen this thread I thought I would just put in my own twopenethworth.

I found that using a washer / pair of washers / spacer etc against the rivnut was fiddly, not always 100% reliable (sometimes the rivnut still wanted to turn) and also brought the locknut away from the panel which did nothing to help stability (as stated earlier, three hands would help there!) but soon found a foolproof method that works every time and is much easier to use.
Just drill a hole the same diameter as the bolt in the end of a flat metal bar and screw the rivnut up against that with the bolt & locknut on the other side. When you tighten the locknut to crush the rivnut, the flange of the rivnut is pressing against the metal strip (which usually holds itself or can be kept in position by finger pressure alone) and will therefore not turn. The advantage of this is that not only is the locknut much closer to the panel & rivnut (making it more stable) but in many situations (and depending on the job in hand and the length of the metal strip you are using) there is often something for the strip to catch on to prevent it rotating which means it really is an easy 2-handed job to hold one spanner and turn the other.

The dimensions of the metal bar really are unimportant but it only needs to be about 2-3mm thick, twice as wide as the rivnut and about 100mm in length. A single bar with a different sized hole at each end means one tool for setting two different sizes.

This week I have been setting M6, M8 & M10 steel rivnuts and it worked a breeze. Very Happy ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #235908 15th May 2013 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>