↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Which stereo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Poulstonb

United Kingdom 
Which stereo
In the market for a double din radio for my 2003 90 xs , already bought the new MUD fascia panel and upgraded the front speakers , so looking at options for the radio.
Would like wireless apple car play and the option for a reverse camera . What’s everyone’s suggestions.
Post #977007 7th Jan 2023 5:34pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Not sure about wireless car play units but the Kenwood DMX5020DABS I have in my 110 is fantastic. It is a mechless short body unit so allows tons of room for the wiring behind which is a problem with full depth units. I also have the Kenwood CMOS-130 reversing camera which is really clear even at night.

The head unit is powering a pair of Kenwood 13cm speakers in the under dash panels, Kenwood tweeters in the head lining, 10cm Kenwood speakers in the rear doors and a Kenwood KSC SW11 powered sub under the middle row seats.

And just to be really fancy I have grafted the steering wheel stereo controls from a Disco 2 into the steering column shroud as the only issue I have with the head unit is the volume controls are small and you can't easily find them without taking your eyes off the road

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #977021 7th Jan 2023 7:20pm
Poulstonb

United Kingdom 
Ended up going for the pioneer sph da- 360dab
All good just struggling to find a reverse feed to turn on the camera now
Post #978062 14th Jan 2023 7:49pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
You could either take a 12 v feed from the green/brown wire on the reverse switch on the gearbox or what I did was piggy back off the live feed to the reversing light. I broke into the reverse camera wiring, cut the red power cable and had the reverse light power the camera, then ran an additional length of 2 core cable with the camera cable from the reverse light to the head unit to tell the head unit it was in reverse. I used a length of 2 core cable from the back to the front to provide the earth for the camera and for the reverse signal to go to the head unit.
Post #978064 14th Jan 2023 7:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1