Home > Wheels & Tyres > Which tyres for a single ski trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jamesthebaker

France 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alaska White
Which tyres for a single ski trip
Hi everyone,

While I'm busy fixing a few leaks I'm starting to read subjects about tyres to find a good fit for my Land.

I live next to the sea so in winter temperature don't get really cold so I'm not sure I have a real need for winter tyres during winter time. But once in a year I go skiing in the Alps and I want to use the def for the trip and I will need snow tyres.

That would mean buying snow tyres to use them only one time per year. If I understood well French law would require me to have 4 3PMSF tyres and that would mean buying such tyres for one time a year.

What would be the best solution for my case ? I'm planning to do a few trips in the folowing years to Island or northern europeen countries. Do you think there's a good tyre that is homologated 3PMSF that I could use for offroading in trips to such countries. That would make me buy a tyre for multiple opportunities (I hope I'm clear enough).

The rest of the time I mostly do road, so I'll keep road tyres.

Thanks for your advice Smile
Post #968879 25th Oct 2022 4:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There are several all-terrain tyres that fit that particular bill. Personally, I'm a big fan of the General Grabber AT3, which is excellent in snow and ice as well as being very civilised on the road. Lots of folks favour the BFG KO2, which is also 3PMSF marked. There are bound to be others, too, all of which will be great all rounders without the need to buy a specific set for ski trips. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 25th Oct 2022 9:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #968881 25th Oct 2022 4:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Something like the BFG AT KO2, Toyo open country AT or other 3 peak stamped tyre.

If you are going somewhere really icy then a set of chains as back up.
Post #968882 25th Oct 2022 4:40pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm, assuming classic Defender here... In your boat I would just look to use a 3pmsf tyre all year round.

If you were not fussed about ultimate snow/ice performance there are tyres that are 3pmsf rated, but not really full winters. You could leave them on all year then and not worry about swapping. BFG ATs are so marked, and I think some General ones are too. However, you may not like how they drive on snow/ice

If you dis want to go full winter like Nokian Hakapelittas to get a safer drive when its slippy, you could probably leave them on all year round and not really have any negative performance or too rapid wear. For a number of reasons old Defenders are not hard on tyres in my view.

I highly recommend Tyrereviews.com for information on tyres. There are some great videos comparing winters with summers and all-seasons on their Youtube, including at least one looking at 4x4 size tyres relevant to us Landy drivers. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #968883 25th Oct 2022 4:44pm
jamesthebaker

Thanks for your detailed answers Wink

Yes you're right : classic defender !

I was a bit afraid that 4 seasons tyres were not that good on dry roads, but maybe I'll find some type that suits my need. So you would say no warning when it comes to driving with all seasons tyres all year long ?

I'm starting to have a look on Tyrereviews.com which I did not know about and that looks really interesting !
Post #968946 26th Oct 2022 9:48am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Another good option is the Davanti Tarratoura

https://www.davanti-tyres.com/terratoura-a-t

Leave them on all year.
Post #968949 26th Oct 2022 10:06am
JamesFrench

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Keswick Green
I’m in a similar situation and have ended up with the cooper discoverer at3 lt. Can’t confirm how they handle in the snow yet though but they are 3PMMSF. My choice was predominantly due to availability as couldn’t get hold of any BFG KO2 (my previous tyre and happy with these).
Post #968965 26th Oct 2022 1:14pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
jamesthebaker wrote:

I was a bit afraid that 4 seasons tyres were not that good on dry roads, but maybe I'll find some type that suits my need. So you would say no warning when it comes to driving with all seasons tyres all year long ?

I'm starting to have a look on Tyrereviews.com which I did not know about and that looks really interesting !

Out of interest, what are your current tyres? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #968966 26th Oct 2022 1:24pm
jamesthebaker

I bought my Defender with 4 Continental Cross Contact A/T, which are pretty new.
Post #968969 26th Oct 2022 1:44pm
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Your current tyres will be fine, borrow some chains (which you’ll never use) and that’ll cover you legally, if you get stopped by the old bill.
I’ve driven to the alps many times for skiing holidays, once on a set of old general sag tyres. I just adjust my driving style to the conditions and have never had a problem. 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #968981 26th Oct 2022 4:59pm
jamesthebaker

Thanks for the advice.

I didn’t want to have chain because setting chain when you need during the night with a snowy weather can be really frustrating. But I guess the price of new all seasons tires don’t justify to take the risk of putting chain one time in a year.

So I’ll keep thinking but chains could be my best option !
Post #968983 26th Oct 2022 5:05pm
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
If you drive sensibly, and to the conditions, I have found that you can make safe progress in a Land Rover with a few inches of snow on the ground. Any reputable all terrain on a defender will be effective on fresh snow. The key is to drive sensibly and to the conditions. 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #968985 26th Oct 2022 5:18pm
kenzle8a

I think you’d be fine with the tyres you have. My chums 110 lives in Meribel for the ski season with continentals on and has never had an issue.
Post #968987 26th Oct 2022 5:22pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
jamesthebaker wrote:

I’ve run all seasons on 2 vehicles for a couple of years now, one a motorhome and the other a hot hatch, perfectly safe in the summer, no issues at all, I think they really come into their own in cold wet conditions, below 7* they are much better than summers tyres in the wet and great in slushy mild snow in the winter. For hardcore snow you need full winters. TyreReviews is fantastic.
Post #969013 26th Oct 2022 8:19pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I’d go with what you have. I’ve been driving to the Alps for about 30 years and I’ve only had to put chains on once when it was snowing hard and dark. If you get chains and practice fitting them before you go it’s time well spent!
Post #969087 27th Oct 2022 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>