↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > people having bother
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
people having bother
Just a note to anyone having some bother with their Tdci Defender.In 1990 I bought my first Land Rover.It was a Turbo diesel 90.I am sure if the internet was as accessible then as now there would have been pages or even forums dedicated to people complaining about this much denigrated power unit.I ran it for six years without any bother with the engine.In it's first year the vehicle was back to the dealer a lot mainly with door problems, build quality and leaking fluids underneath and water ingress which was never solved.After six years and two children I needed extra seating so along came a 200 tdi 110 station wagon.
This was a four year old pickup which I has converted into a station wagon.I never had any bother with the build quality, doors or fluid leaks underneath. This was religously serviced and after one of the timing belt changes the new one skipped a beat after just 3,000 miles.Any way it was inconvenient but not too much damage done-just conrods and a new belt.I also had the gearbox bother that left us all stranded but got it sorted.There has been the usual light switches changed,couplings etc and I still have it.
Sadly inexcusable as it is there is no such thing as a perfect Land Rover.I also have a Puma TDCI which is truly a wonderful machine to drive.I have not had the major bother some other people have had. The engine management light come on briefly twice so I got it checked out.It turned out to be a faulty sensor which has been ordered in.One of the door stays does not do it's job so I must get that rectified.
I have found the build quality to be very good.Moving from the agricultural 200 tdi to the Tdci was a bit of a culture shock.The fuel consumption of the Tdci is heavier than the Tdi but with the Tdi you are aware that you are driving something big and truck like.The TDCI is so drivable it does not seem like a truck.Like Eduardo I fail to see how doing less miles to the gallon though with less emissions is a step forward.But I do like the engine so I will not complain.
The Td5 has taken on almost mythical status but when it came out first it was viewed with grave suspicion to say the least by a lot of Land Rover people owing to it's electronics.I don't think the electronics have been as troublesome as people feared.
Speaking from pure ignorance it would appear to me that any problems people have experienced with poor running or bad starting with the TDCI Puma Defender are most likely caused with the ECU as this controls the engine and it's running etc.No doubt these are made in bulk but cannot be inspected visually for dodgy units unlike the mechanical bits that make up an engine or gearbox etc.If not the ECU I would suspect some of the other electronic gadgetry.If I were a workshop manager I would keep some in stock and just change these as my first port of call.Anyway no doubt I will be enlightened as to the fallacy of my simplistic approach.
Anyway I and the family am enjoying the TDCI which everyone agrees is wonderful.
Incidentally I drive for a living and Land Rovers to not have a monopoly on faults or leaks.My firm went with Japanese vehicles for awhile but exited again.When things did go wrong parts were horrendously expensive and no one kept them in stock.On one occasion new break discs were needed for a light commercial but were so expensive they got secondhand ones from a breakers yard.
The TDCI might have been forced on Land Rover by Ford but if Land Rover had something in development to replace the Td5 surely Ford would have let them finish developing that and then fit it.Land Rover must have been aware of the impending emissions legislation.Like I said earlier nothing is perfect and I sympatise with those who are having bother with something they bought with high expectations only to have them dashed.The bad service some dealers seem to dish out is also inexscusable but it is probably down to ignorance as they just do not know how to solve what could be a potentially simple problem. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #6499 22nd Jan 2009 6:58pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
100% agree with you Spudfan Thumbs Up Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #6500 22nd Jan 2009 7:09pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Easy to say that if you have a working vehicle but what would be saying if it had a problem like mine that results in almost weekly brakedowns and to be told (in writing) that they don't know how to fix it!!! What would you do then, how long do you wait to fix it? Fourteen months like me? Then to be told they will not replace it! I love my defender (when it is running)but it is hard to love something that spends most of the time at the dealers. Please don't tell me I am expecting too much as I have owned and driven land rovers since 1981 so i am fully aware of issues. I can live with the constant problems and failures but when LR don't want to or can't be bothered to put stuff right and instead thinking the customer will just get naffed off and sell it to some other poor sap and move on, leaves a rather bitter taste. I don't disagree with most what you have said I just feel you are targeting me (and others) who have horrendous problems with their Defenders and suggesting we are whingers for complaining about it. If I was, I would not be looking at buying another one would I? I work very hard for my money and I am damd if I am going to be done out of thousands of pound by not speaking out!!!!!!!!!
Post #6506 22nd Jan 2009 7:47pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I am sorry that you feel I am targeting people who have had bother with their Puma Defenders and complained about it. Nothing could be further from the truth.There is no exscuse for treating customers like that.People are entitled to a decent product and decent back up service when necessary.It seems to be inherent in the motor industry as I have spoken to people who have had problems with other makes of cars and who have had far from satisfactory experiences getting them sorted out.
I had to go legal to get my Land Rover 90 sorted all those years ago.Sadly things do not seemed to have improved since then.
I sympatise with anyone who has problems and cannot get them sorted out as I can easily imagine myself in their shoes.Land Rovers are not cheap to buy or indeed run yet we buy them because it is the vehicle we want.It is not expecting too much to expect them to run and accept the odd problem which should be rectified as soon as it arises.Sadly the customer seems to be treated as an enemy rather than someone who should be valued.Whether this is a directive from Land Rover or individual garages I do not know.
My point being that I have had Land Rovers before and compared to previous models my TDCI is so much more drivable.Having been a Land Rover owner since 1990 I am aware that each model comes with it's own unique traits i.e. faults.This current one does seem to be giving some people a fairly horrendous time.
I hope that clarifies things and many apologies if you or others feel slighted.I probably did not make my point clear enough in the original posting. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #6508 22nd Jan 2009 8:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1