↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Exhaust questions...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Exhaust questions...
I bought a new 'sports exhaust' about 8 months ago for my Td5 90 H/T from Stratton 4x4, it's got a de-catted front, straight through centre and standard rear section.
My Td5 also has a larger intercooler, EGR removed etc and a stage 1 tune with boost box by Alive Tuning. Even Gary said it sounded a bit loud at the rear when test driving it after the remap.
After about 3 months I bought a 'cherry bomb' centre section from Alive at a show to try and reduce some of the noise, I don't think it made much difference, so now I'm tempted to either re-fit the cat front pipe, or fit a centre silencer as there is a fair bit of resonance from the rear, what difference in power would it make, would I lose the benefit of having a tune, and which would be the way to go - refit the cat or put a centre silencer back in? I've read that Hard Tops can be noisier at the rear due to not having as much soundproofing etc, but I do have some matting etc in the back.
It passed it's MOT yesterday but the original reading for the emissions was high (over 4). I guess this was because of the catalytic converter not being in place?
Post #313325 4th Mar 2014 5:49am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
What the CAT does is not the same as what the MOT emissions test is testing for, so absense of a CAT is not why you got a high reading.

If noise is your problem then fit a suitable silencer, as a CAT won't solve that either.

It's good to hear that you passed the MOT without a CAT, given recent discussions on here. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #313340 4th Mar 2014 8:31am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
With mine, I'm not sure it makes a difference to overall performance. (Strong stage 2 calibration) The differences are mainly throttle response and turbo lag. Obviously the reduced noise gives the impression of reduced performance. This is between cherry bomb and std silencer centre sections, no cat. 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #313482 4th Mar 2014 6:13pm
Lambley

Thanks both, so LRA... so why do so many people remove the cat? I thought it was because it helps breath easier and helps the turbo to spool easier, and roughly how much power do you think I'd lose if I fitted a std centre silencer? 5 bhp, more? I guess that's the only thing that would make a difference to the sound?
It's not deafening, it's just a bit too 'throaty' sometimes, it gets raspy under acceleration and I'm not a boy racer any more.
Post #313602 4th Mar 2014 10:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Yes, that's exactly why it's helpful to remove the CAT. It made a small but noticeable difference when I had mine done.

I don't know how much you'd lose by adding a silencer but, given the larger IC and tune, I doubt you'd notice much difference. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #313683 5th Mar 2014 9:34am
Lambley

Ok, thanks, I'm tempted to buy a centre section and try it to see how much quieter it is, cheers
Post #313719 5th Mar 2014 1:29pm
The Gribbin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Caledonian Blue
I know what you mean... I have tried various options from: straight through centre pipe; to cherry bomb from Alive; now got a 'Sports silencer' from Demand Engineering (at Peterborough Show)... each has improved, but still a lot of boom below 50mph.

90 TD5 Hard Top, well soundproofed in rear... Stage 2 tune.

I am wondering what effect a larger bore straight through rear section would have... any trombone players on here!?... my theory is that might help expel the exhaust quicker, noise an' all??

Click image to enlarge
Post #947885 3rd Apr 2022 4:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1